Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3nm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
ya dude weed is addicting. i was smoking like 5-9 times a day minimum. its like a crutch.

i don't know what to tell ya cos i've never done drugs. but i've tried weed a couple of times and it never did anything for me! so disappointed!! :mad:

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
i don't know what to tell ya cos i've never done drugs. but i've tried weed a couple of times and it never did anything for me! so disappointed!! :mad:

Most people would experience increased laughter, beating down the fridge and then sleeping for numerous hours :).

I've had a few friends try it once and they went into extreme paranoia mode and felt like their heart was popping out of their chest. They never tried it again.

jon

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
I know, it seems I've gained some enemies in this thread from the anti-drug side. Oh well, that's what makes forums fun.

jon

I think it might be because this thread is about the OP's success with being sober for two years and trying to get some real friends, not your individual drug exploits. Just maybe.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
I think it might be because this thread is about the OP's success with being sober for two years and trying to get some real friends, not your individual drug exploits. Just maybe.

This is true, the thread as sort of gotten hijacked. I was simply curious to see what drugs he is trying to recover from. I was simply stating with him which drugs I use and how I've managed, just how he is.

Then he made the statements that marijuana and ecstasy are addictive. I tried correcting him by being a little more specific in what he defines as addictive. Every other post I've made has just been in response to what someone has said to me.

Not once have I put him down or told him to go back to his old ways. Just discussing. I will try to bow out of this thread so it can get back on topic of his sober life returning back to normal.

jon

3nm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
Most people would experience increased laughter, beating down the fridge and then sleeping for numerous hours :).

i know! i was expecting myself to crave for some disgustingly delicious food, talk funny and laugh a lot. but everytime i try it i'd end up feeling outta place cos it just doesn't do anything for me at all.

aghh... i guess i was born a nerd and can never have any chemistry fun unless i'm in the lab. :(

benlangdon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
ya converting my friends is almost no existent. 2-3 are doing heroine now. 1 of those has gone to rehab 4+ times. 2 other of my friends are defiantly alcoholics. and everyone else is same as me. except i started dealing and got into everything a little bit more.

ya, that black hole.
well i know normal is not really normal
but ****, to have something to put my brain on instead of watching tv, would be a god send.

i mean the other day because of my computer always getting hot i drew to scale a stand for it with a 12v fan and it had ducting for my 2 external hard drives also and it made my mbp the same hight as my extended monitor. only problem was i cant bend steel thick enough and correctly for it to work. i actually lost sleep drawing them up

joegomolski

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2006
So CA
you just got to take it one day at a time. that is it. the biggest thing is to look for support. go to an AA meeting or some other type of group.

life become normal when you finally separate yourself from your previous life style. surround yourself with positives. pick up a hobby that is low risk and meet people within that hobby.

good luck, remember one day at a time.

I couldn't have said it better. I was drinking too much, recreational drugs, and abusing Px's.

My life was really in the toilet.

Tried everything to stop, no luck.

Became a friend of Bill W., google that name.

And it's been 23 years sober for me, a day at a time.

iSaint

macrumors 603
Also, good to see you iSaint. Your Bulldogs got the best of us the other night. I guess we will see you in the Tourney for that West title. It will be a shootout, your team is good this year.

Yeah, we have two players that will be in the NBA next year. We should go a long way, but our coach is suspect at times. I think y'all have a winner in Pelphrey. He makes good adjustments.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Some of my friends who are in AA/NA seem to have a ton of friends from being in the program. Its almost like a fraternity/sorority.

Are you in AA/NA ?

NM, this posting is from 2008. Thanks carlin.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
Just keep telling your self that. There is a reason a lot of companies are starting to do the hair test to test for drugs. It will screw you over that way since that date back as log as your hair is. Some times a little longer.

That and do not forget the fun random drug test. It just makes you SOL. Test positive once and you are fired on the spot. Not eligible for rehire and it will hurt you in future jobs when those companies call asking if you worked there. They are allowed to ask if you are eligible for rehire. If the answer is no it makes it really hard to get a future job.

Gattaca here we come!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Not being your situation, its difficult to say what you should or shouldn't do.

What comes quickly to mind is find people are like minded and stay away from your old friends who are still hooked on drugs. The last thing you want to do is be dragged back down.

Join a church, many churches offer social events where you can meet people and maybe make some new friends. If you haven't done so yet, a 12 step program may be helpful too. Not just keeping you clean but being with other folks who are in the same boat as you. You may make some friends there as well.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Has anyone ever done an analysis of how years-old threads like this one get resurrected? Jaro65 (if you're still monitoring this thread), how did you even come across this thread in the first place (unless you'd rather not say)?

johnnyhow

macrumors regular
May 20, 2008
Also, allow me to rephrase. I meant addictive as in physically addictive.

The drugs I use are not physically addictive. They sure as hell can be mentally addicting and it seems that is what our thread starter was suffering from.

Drugs that would be physically addicting would be like meth, heroin, cocaine, opiate based pills, cigarettes, things of that nature. I do not do any of those drugs. I have many friends who do and they have a very hard time stopping sometimes because their body thrives on it. Notice how a few of those drugs mentioned were in our thread starters original post, hence the addiction problem.

Marijuana, mushrooms, MDMA and LSD are not classified as being physically addictive.

jon
Firstly, all drug addicts start off on 'softer' drugs. It may take years, even a decade or two, but if you continue using them then there will come a day when those 'soft' drugs aren't strong enough and you'll hit the harder ones.*

Even if that doesn't happen, long term marijuana use will cause long term serious damage to your mental health. Depression, skitzaphrenia (pardon the spelling) are the best you can hope for, but this drug certainly can make people sucidal.*

Just because I haven't taken drugs, does not make me any better than you, I just strongly want to urge you to reconsider taking these harmful substances. There is more to life than 'good experiences', there's more to life than drugs.*

Do something that will reward you in the long term. A long term career, a uni degree or a trade, a wife and a family. As a christan, I would recommend God.*
But just start small and build bigger. *

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I'm a recovering drug addict too, i'm on a 6 month nhs rehabilitation plan after turning up in casualty once too often. I'm beginning to feel better however I'm in the same situation as the OP.

I'm guessing it's because we both were involved in the wrong crowd. I'm also guessing this is why recovered addicts become religious to get friends and a community.

I'm not the religious type, but I have been meeting up with people I know (or once knew) who I know won't tempt me to my old ways. About half of them are baptist christians.

Just relax and hang around with people who you know won't be bad for you and your addictions. It has helped with me.

Hope you make it through.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I am sure the drugs you do are awesome for your brain and body!!

Can't believe users are allowed to advocate illegal drugs on this forum...

Things like LSD and mushrooms are really not as bad as you think. They were my drugs of choice in college. I did lots of LSD. It was fun and cheap and non-addictive. I haven't done any illegal drugs in decades, but they were fun back then. One day I just didn't do them anymore. No particular reason, I just stopped. I would venture to guess that's what most people experience with drugs.

Now ecstasy I take issue with. It's expensive, the buzz is negligible and it can really do some damage.

Firstly, all drug addicts start off on 'softer' drugs. It may take years, even a decade or two, but if you continue using them then there will come a day when those 'soft' drugs aren't strong enough and you'll hit the harder ones.*

Total BS.

Even if that doesn't happen, long term marijuana use will cause long term serious damage to your mental health. Depression, skitzaphrenia (pardon the spelling) are the best you can hope for, but this drug certainly can make people sucidal.*

More BS.

Just because I haven't taken drugs, does not make me any better than you, I just strongly want to urge you to reconsider taking these harmful substances. There is more to life than 'good experiences', there's more to life than drugs.*

True enough.

Do something that will reward you in the long term. A long term career, a uni degree or a trade, a wife and a family. As a christan, I would recommend God.*
But just start small and build bigger. *

Other than the god part, you're right on.

And benlangdon- good luck. Hang in there and stay strong. We're all here for you.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
Let me tell you, as someone who's struggled with drugs for about 10 years... and I'm 25.

No matter what you do or where you go, you can't escape addiction. I came across the planet to escape mine. I did for a little while, until one day a doctor prescribed me codeine for a cough. Boom. Right back to where I started. Got into faking injuries for vicodin, etc etc.

It wasn't until my brother told my mom about it that I finally found a good reason to stop. My mother is like Mother Theresa. She never hurt a soul, and here I was lying and conning to get money from her.

I am clean now, because I made a conscious decision to quit. That was mid-summer. Not a day goes by that I don't think about pills. I could get them again if I wanted to. I'm that manipulative. That's what drugs do to people.

Hell I even (many times) turned down a nude romp in the sheets with my hot ex because I chose to sit at home staring at my TV playing xbox, high on vicodin.

Just remember that you will always be an addict. It sounds negative, but it's true. You'll always have that little monkey on your back that you have to watch out for. The little bastard will try to trick you into using again too. "Just once... A few can't hurt, right?" or my favourite "I'm in legitimate pain, I need relief!"

Unless you have nerve damage or some other kind of sharp, drilling pain, there is rarely ever a need for strong opiate painkillers. Anti-inflammatory drugs, as corrosive as they are on the stomach, are quite effective.

I don't know when you'll ever feel 'normal'. I had a stint a back in 2004 or so where I quit using any kind of drugs. It lasted 2 years. I started to feel kind of normal, but I realized that I was on a high horse, thinking I was better than all the other 'users' out there, including my close friends. I was lucky enough to have good friends who never pressured me. It was myself who was at fault for using again. I bought some pot and smoked it in the forest by my place. Boom. Full-blown addict within a coupe of months, buying pills, stealing pills, whatever I had to do to get them.

Just remember, you're always on thin ice, and it's not fun... well, you already know that.

Best of luck to you, friend. Just remember how good you felt while high, but also remember all the negative effects it had on your relationships, finances, and personal life.

You know, people always said to me that I was using drugs because I was unhappy, like I was trying to escape from some horrible reality. That's quite wrong. I was (and still am) young, fit, good looking, and smart. I just like the feeling of being high. Why don't people understand this simple concept? Sure I'd use sometimes (especially opiates) if I was upset or stressed about something... but my constant use wasn't due to any deep, underlying issues (that I'm aware of anyway).

Anyway, just remember you're better without that crap. I was surprised that while I was enduring opiate withdrawal, climbing mountains can actually make you feel pretty damn high. Not the kind of "Geez I know I'm not supposed to feel this good, but screw it" high, but the "Wow I feel like I'm on top of the world, like I really accomplished something. I could lift a car right now!" kinda feeling. The latter is much more productive and healthy, both mentally and physically.

Sorry to ramble. This is a huge issue for me though.

Oh, and as Lee mentioned about mushrooms, LSD, and such. I totally agree with him. These drugs I consider to be a gift. They provide us with a window into our souls and lives that I wouldn't be able to even dream of. Maybe if I studied meditation for a few years... but I know that I've never felt myself breathing with the trees after meditation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.