Recovering from a motorcycle accident

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by krazykleo, Sep 29, 2013.

1. krazykleo, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013

krazykleo macrumors regular

edited due to legal reasons discussed with my lawyer, lol...:)

Thanks everyone for the kind words!!!

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

1. Change your name to kautiouskleo

2. Live up to your new username

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

It sounds like you are in the UK with NHS and have to wait too long for that MRI and neurologist consult.

I don't mean to be casual about your finances, but given your description of you situation, I would strongly suggest that you do whatever is necessary to get that neuro consult, and the MRI if the neurologist recommends. Your ongoing symptoms are of real concern, and if you can possibly do it (even if it means a loan) get further specialized care. This is your brain we're talking about here...

Again, I apologize if I sound casual about your financial situation, but if some kind of appeal process does not get you a neuro consult...do whatever you can to get it.

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm sorry about the challenges you are facing as a result of this accident. I think the sooner you get some expert medical advice and treatment the better. And as you mentioned, cutting back on your study load might be a good option at this point.

Of possible interest, I drove a Kawasaki 500, at the time advertised as the fastest street production street bike, though my junior and senior year of high school. Although I was mostly a safe driver, looking back on it, I think my parents exercised poor judgement in letting me drive it as I did check out the top end speed of this bike on a lonely road once or twice. Never had an accident, but one day I was on a 2 lane highway, slowing down to make a left turn across the other lane, when I noticed a car coming up fast behind me, moving into the other lane to pass me. If I had not been alert, and turned left, this car would have killed me. On a 50 mph highway, I had to come to a complete stop at the turn point. The lesson which I assume you have learned if you ever ride again is to conduct yourself like everyone is trying to kill you, although I realize that having someone turn in front of you at some place other than an intersection, could be unexpected. If it's not on all readt, riding with the headlight on, helps with visibility.

When I went to the University of Miami (Miami, Florida), I strolled into the Engineering Dept to see a display wall of broken motorcycle helmets and accompanying newspaper articles. The one that got me was the guy who flipped over on his motorcycle, it landed on him, did about $100 damage to the bike and turned him into a quadriplegic. I called home and told my parents to "sell the bike"... Since then I did buy and ride a motorcycle 2 other times, but I felt uncomfortable on them, selling them after short periods of time.

5. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

Lawyer up.

Why should someone's stupidity cause you ongoing physical and financial problems.

The local motorcycle community will know of lawyers who are motorcycle friendly.

6. imurdaddy macrumors member

Hope everyone sees how great Obamacare is going to be.

7. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

Like others have said, getting that MRI asap is priority. Going easy with the course load sounds like a good idea...no sense in loading up on classes if you may do poorly.

8. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Thanks for literally contributing nothing to this thread,

9. krazykleo thread starter macrumors regular

I don't live in the States...so this is irrelevant and it's more of a political topic than what I am asking for. lol

Thanks for all the kind words. I will talk to the doctor to see if I can get my MRI and see a neurologist back home (I live 4 hours away from home because of school).

Last I heard MRIs can give false positives and that its easily $500+ for an MRI.. But I'll see what the doctor says.

----------

Already done. It's a lengthy process and I have two years from the date of the accident but I'm pretty sure my lawyer can add additional years since the recovery time can vary.

10. jeremy h macrumors 6502

Ignore this if you're not in the UK but - if you are, (or studying here or something)...

Then just go to your nearest casualty dept today, say you've been involved a crash and you've been getting headaches which have now become unbearable and you need to see someone now. Tell them it's an emergency. You'll be seen in 4 or so hours at the outside - less if you don't go at 10pm on a Saturday night. I'd be amazed if they didn't organise some sort of scan or MRI immediately.

Good luck with it wherever you are.

11. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Any diagnostic can give false positives or false negatives, and this doesn't change depending on who pays.

12. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Oh, I didn't realize Obamacare was a universal healthcare system. I thought it was a government subsidized exchange of PRIVATE insurance companies. Thank you so much for educating me.

The ignorance of the right wing is astounding. Guess that's why they don't win elections anymore. Sorry for derailing the thread.

13. seanf macrumors 6502

This sounds awfully like a comment from somebody who has never experienced treatment under the NHS...

Sean

14. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

True.

It was not meant to be offensive, just a poorly worded concern for OP's need for more immediate evaluation.

Sorry if it came out badly...:eek:

15. imurdaddy macrumors member

You mean the one you are forced to purchase ( no exceptions ) if you currently carry no healthcare....so for sure it's not universal healthcare...it's a tax. The Op ( from abroad...I know ) exemplifies the problems that will ensue when the eventual death panels decide who and when specialized care goes to....And I come from a long line of liberal loons...

16. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Typical canned conservative talking point. You have anything to back up your "death panel" myth?