Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Jarred Land (president of RED Digital Cinema) has said that the reason the RED Raven is now exclusively available at the Apple Store is because it was part of a deal to get the new modular Mac Pro made. Here are screengrabs of his original FB post, and a response of his to a question about RED and Apple making a deal together.
fIhhh3c.png

KFeNK1C.png

I also wonder if RED is giving any input on the design of the Mac Pro. RED is known for their modular cameras, and it's interesting that Apple specifically uses the word "modular" to describe their new Mac Pro, rather than language like "user-upgradeable" or "customizable" or something. So I wonder if Apple is adapting RED's version of modularity.

Link to entire post: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154887988410415&set=a.78776125414.81226.625665414&type=3

Link to RED Raven at the Apple Store: https://www.apple.com/us_smb_78313/shop/product/HK8Q2ZM/A/red-raven-camera-kit-final-cut-pro-x

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Jarred Land (president of RED Digital Cinema) has said that the reason the RED Raven is now exclusively available at the Apple Store is because it was part of a deal to get the new modular Mac Pro made. Here are screengrabs of his original FB post, and a response of his to a question about RED and Apple making a deal together.
fIhhh3c.png

KFeNK1C.png

I also wonder if RED is giving any input on the design of the Mac Pro. RED is known for their modular cameras, and it's interesting that Apple specifically uses the word "modular" to describe their new Mac Pro, rather than language like "user-upgradeable" or "customizable" or something. So I wonder if Apple is adapting RED's version of modularity.

Link to entire post: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154887988410415&set=a.78776125414.81226.625665414&type=3

Link to RED Raven at the Apple Store: https://www.apple.com/us_smb_78313/shop/product/HK8Q2ZM/A/red-raven-camera-kit-final-cut-pro-x

I am not a RED product user, so, not very familiar with their stuff. However, for me, this doesn't sounds like a good news. If Apple follow the industrial standard. They don't need to ask RED to join their 7,1 hardware project. As long as the 7,1 has standard PCIe slot, RED's hardware can fit inside the 7,1 properly.

In this case, may be Apple just ask RED to work with them to make one of the module, which originally should be a PCIe card, and now become a non-standard module.

Since it's very specifically stated that's about the Mac Pro hardware programme. So, it should not be just asking RED to work with them on the 7,1's software compatibility issue.

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
I don't understand what you mean. What is "RED's version of modularity"?

RED's modularity is interesting and also a bit odd. Here's the gist: they sell you the "brain" of their cameras, which is basically the main part of the camera. It has the processor(s), the sensor, etc. But then you can also add on other modules that you wish (some of which are actually necessary in order for the camera to function), such as the SSD reader/writer (necessary to record footage), the battery module (necessary if you want to run the camera with a battery), the base expander (gives you AC power, HDMI, SDI, timecode), handles, monitors, viewfinders, side controllers, and more. There are a bunch of modules, but those are the main basic ones. You can also change the lens mount on the camera, meaning that you can mount lenses from different types of cameras that have different mounts (such as Canon, Nikon, or PL).

Here's a picture of just the brain of a RED camera:

scarlet-w-brain-only-rear-dumb.png

And here's a picture of one with several added modules (plus lens and battery):

19_8F6A9023-650x433.jpg

In short, the RED cameras are fully customizable (which is a good thing), BUT only with RED's proprietary modules or modules that other manufacturers have licensed through RED (which I think is odd and kind of dumb).

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple made their new modular Mac Pro in the same way: Totally customizable but only with proprietary modules. I sure hope that's not the case though (meaning, I hope we can include components from 3rd party manufacturers as well), but I'm just saying I could see Apple doing something similar to RED here.

Either way though, I am pumped for the new modular Mac Pro.

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
I have so little faith in apple's ability to keep their computers updated as it is, the idea of them regularly updating a bunch of proprietary modules for a niche product just doesn't sound likely.

Agreed. I sure hope it's fully customizable with 3rd-party hardware. PCIe is a must!

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Jarred Land (president of RED Digital Cinema) has said that the reason the RED Raven is now exclusively available at the Apple Store is because it was part of a deal to get the new modular Mac Pro made.

I'm not sure that is what he said.

" ... only because of their investment into their Mac pro hardware program..."

You are reading that as though it said " Mac Pro, hardware program". There is no cap 'P'. That could easily be read as " Mac , pro hardware program". As the iMac Pro is going to released long before any revision to the Mac Pro appears ( which is at least early 2018 if not substantively later into the year... which is more than likely ... Apple has no fast past track record of Mac hardware for the last several years. ).

The new Mac Pro is in the group of Mac , pro hardware program devices, but it isn't the only or primary target of the whole group.

Second this exclusive thing appears only for the Kit ( as bundling the FCPX software is being traded as a feature). The Raven was announced in 2015 and scheduled to ship in Feb 2016.

"... The camera will ship in February 2016. Ahead of that, customers can reserve RAVEN in one of three packages via a deposit. The RED RAVEN Brain costs $5,950 USD and requires a $500 deposit. Also available is the RED RAVEN Jetpack Package for drone and gimbal uses, and the Base I/O Package for “run-and-gun applications," both of which require a $1,000 deposit. ..."
https://www.dpreview.com/articles/0967978388/red-unveils-raven-a-lightweight-and-portable-4k-camera

rumblings about it finally shipping in March of 2016

"... So, it seems that the RED RAVEN is finally shipping— ..."
https://www.cinema5d.com/red-raven-shipping/

In the year the that the Raven modules were available who didn't buy one who needed one ? (e.g., dealer network , equipment leasing shops, etc. ) . This more so looks like both sides are doing each other a favor. The minimum buy-in to a Red Raven is now higher than it was. Apple may be putting a floor under the sales (perhaps temporarily) and Red helps Apple out with their "pro" market image issue with a segment of the user base.

On the other end of the price spectrum from this $15K kit is the Free version of Avid Media.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/01/Avid-Media-Composer-First-free-app-hands-on/

There is ton of relatively high market saturation going on here and a bit of rubic's cube maneuvering to try to adjust for that.

I also wonder if RED is giving any input on the design of the Mac Pro. RED is known for their modular cameras, and it's interesting that Apple specifically uses the word "modular" to describe their new Mac Pro, rather than language like "user-upgradeable" or "customizable" or something. So I wonder if Apple is adapting RED's version of modularity

I don't think there is high overlap in a shared, very narrow use of the word "modular" here. I'm sure Red would like for there to be some option to stuff in a single card to bump their RAW processing up a notch. The iMac Pro will work for a decent number of folks but RED's market is more geared to the 1% .

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
RED's modularity is interesting and also a bit odd.

The part that I think is most important - you don't have to toss out the lenses, video monitor screen, SSDs, mounting rails etc when you upgrade the sensor. That's the key thing, we shouldn't have to get rid of parts whose performance we're happy with, just to speed up the one part we're not.

Oh yeah, and lenses (which it can be argued are the most important part of a camera system) aren't RED products.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Agreed. I sure hope it's fully customizable with 3rd-party hardware. PCIe is a must!

Exactly.

PCIe slots and devices already exist. So do standard CPU sockets, RAM slots, hard drive connectors, etc. All of this has already been created.

I hope Apple doesn't try to re-invent the wheel like they did with the last Mac Pro.

There's no need to be "clever" when designing the next Mac Pro workstation. It just needs to work. It's right there in the name... "work"

Just make it look like and function like a PC tower case. No one will mind. In fact... it will be preferred.

Last edited:

Derpage

Suspended
Mar 7, 2012
I dunno what will happen when the kings of dongles meet the king of 1k dollar handles but I'm not really looking forward to it.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Jarred is a Mac fan and wants to keep the professional Mac workstation alive. He's been at this for a long time.

There is no huge mismatch between this bundle and the iMac Pro.

4.5K sensor --> 5K screen on iMac Pro ( it will all fit and perhaps some slim tool bar on screen. )

FCPX skew --> iMac Pro probably will run that software better than the previous Mac Pros.
[ One of the things the Mac Pro 2013 did well was run FCPX. ]

it is full complete kit ( the modularity is primary focus, buying something that works after assembly) --> iMac works after assembly.

That said besides the FCPX and Apple/MacOS workflow stuff ... the vast majority of this kit works with Windows too. FCPX is around $300. ( that is a saving in the bundle), but in perspective the sales tax of 6.5% on 15K is $975. It isn't like the value proposition on the kit completely collapses if you don't use the FCPX software. Folks with a $3-8K sunk costs into a Windows system aren't going to dump it if get this kit. Even folks with Mac set ups and already have FCPX that license bundle isn't much of a game changer.

The kit would work well with a incrementally more flexible Mac Pro update ( a slot or two for standard PCI-e cards), but this is in no way inherently systemic of Apple doing a complete 180 from the Mac Pro 2013. It will help with selling more Macs in the workstation performance class. But notion that this a holy grail, pure "box with slots" move ( the connotation of 'workstation" common thrown around in this forum). It isn't there.

An overly narrow focus on 4K FCPX workflow is one of the things I think enabled the "paint into a corner" trap that Apple fell into. This camera isn't that far off of being hooked to that exact same tune. Still approximately 4K. Still focal point pointed at FCPX. That's is a good fit with where Apple has been with the MP 2013 and iMac Pro 2017 now. What Apple comes up with in 2018 for Mac Pro may or may not have a major driver behind this kit. The kit helps with their current "finger in the dike" offerings.

Red has a 5K camera that isn't in an Apple exclusive lock up. It is a bit more expensive but closer tot he 4.5K than to the 6K (and up) options. Again not particularly driving something here with Apple that doesn't fit Apple's next 4-8 month window of what they have prepped. ( 6K and up is where the mismatch is for rest of 2017. )

William Payne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2017
Wanganui, New Zealand.
I can't complain really at this, if RED is working with Apple on stuff then cool. RED footage while I have never dealt with it is known to be some of the most crazy stuff to work with. I have seen computers built for RED footage that were crazy, massive amounts of ram, multiple gpu's, all the high end crazy stuff that people love so much.

My logic is if they are working on stuff to handle RED's then there is not a whole lot of other stuff you won't be able to do.

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
I think "modular" MacPro has been widely misunderstood. Schiller's actual words were:

Phil Schiller said:
"With regards to the Mac Pro, we are in the process of what we call ‘completely rethinking the Mac Pro.’ We’re working on it. We have a team working hard on it right now, and we want to architect it so that we can keep it fresh with regular improvements, and we’re committed to making it our highest-end, high throughput desktop system, designed for our demanding pro customers.

As part of doing a new Mac Pro — it is, by definition, a modular system — we will be doing a pro display as well. Now you won’t see any of those products this year; we’re in the process of that. We think it’s really important to create something great for our pro customers who want a Mac Pro modular system, and that’ll take longer than this year to do."

https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/06/t...-john-ternus-on-the-state-of-apples-pro-macs/

The way I read it, does not necessarily imply it will be user-expandable, or have PCIe slots. I take it to mean they will design it in a way that makes it easy to update for Apple.

Not saying I'm right, but he phrases this so carefully, I have a hard time believing they'd make an expandable box like the cMP. My best guess is you can pick and choose options when buying, like multiple GPU's or SSD's etc., but not necessarily add your own after-market stuff.

Reactions: z970 and Queen6

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I think "modular" MacPro has been widely misunderstood. The way I read it, does not necessarily imply it will be user-expandable, or have PCIe slots. I take it to mean they will design it in a way that makes it easy to update for Apple.

Not saying I'm right, but he phrases this so carefully, I have a hard time believing they'd make an expandable box like the cMP. My best guess is you can pick and choose options when buying, like multiple GPU's or SSD's etc., but not necessarily add your own after-market stuff.

Dang... good catch.

If that's true... then Apple will be repeating the same mistakes of the cylinder Mac Pro.

Sure... Apple would be able to update Mac Pro parts from year to year.

But without user-replaceable/upgradable parts... it's back to being a disposable $3,000-$10,000 workstation.

Which is NOT the direction a workstation needs to go.

BB8

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2016
The way I read it, does not necessarily imply it will be user-expandable, or have PCIe slots. I take it to mean they will design it in a way that makes it easy to update for Apple.

these two things go hand in hand though.

a boring box that's easy to upgrade with third party components is easy for apple to keep updated. anything proprietary would require more effort from Apple.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
RED has their own PCIE cards that assist with their footage so I imagine they would be either coming up with another way or having some kind of slot system.

Irrelevent...Rocket cards are less and less useful with how powerful GPUs have gotten. I doubt new Rocket cards will even be made by Red.

William Payne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2017
Wanganui, New Zealand.
Irrelevent...Rocket cards are less and less useful with how powerful GPUs have gotten. I doubt new Rocket cards will even be made by Red.

RED rocket is not a GPU which is why I mentioned it. You obviously have more experience then me judging by your RED ownership, I really can't comment though as I have had nothing to do with RED footage so it would be wrong of me to discuss the cards importance without user experience.

Derived

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2015
Midwest
It always amazes me how easily everyone in this sub forum can take literally any piece of information written in any sort of language and turn it into a negative W.R.T. the new Mac Pro. Cracks me up.

This can only be a good thing - this guy's company builds industry-standard cameras - the fact that they're asking for his input is a good thing. There is literally no way on earth that this can be seen as a bad thing.

As always, remain very optimistic about what's coming down the pipe.

William Payne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2017
Wanganui, New Zealand.
It always amazes me how easily everyone in this sub forum can take literally any piece of information written in any sort of language and turn it into a negative W.R.T. the new Mac Pro. Cracks me up.

This can only be a good thing - this guy's company builds industry-standard cameras - the fact that they're asking for his input is a good thing. There is literally no way on earth that this can be seen as a bad thing.

As always, remain very optimistic about what's coming down the pipe.

I agree, this to me is positive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.