Redesigned iMac, Redesigned Mouse and Keyboard ???

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jay9495, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Jay9495 macrumors regular

Do think they will redesign there Magic Mouse and Keyboard since they are apparently redesigning the iMac, If so how would you like it ? Would you be happy or not ?

I just want them to change the Magic Mouse, hate that thing.

2. Swordylove macrumors 6502a

Swordylove

3. skyenet macrumors regular

skyenet

I love it, can't please everybody.

Apple know what is best for us anyway, we will just have to wait and see what they tell us we need next. Not being sarcastic as I have often been apprehensive of adopting new Apple products but always end up loving them. Looking forward to next week's event, not only for the anticipated iMacs, but also for the iPad Mini. Could well be tempted if it fits in my Cargo pants pocket :)

4. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

I love the Magic Mouse as well. What I'd really like to see is a wireless keyboard that has numeric pad and a dedicated delete key.

5. Geordiekeith macrumors member

Absolutely agree

I do a lot of graph work, drawing scientific figures, and need a numeric pad to enter data. So the wireless is useless.

6. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

i'm not a big magic mouse fan either but i think they'll keep it the same.

7. Harshanandan macrumors newbie

New TOUCH Mac Pro

Apple will release TOUCH based Macbook Pro to beat MS tablet, on October 23, 2012. Take this from me
    Trivedi Harshanandan

----------

Apple will release new TOUCH based MacBook Pro to compete with SURFACE.
    this will happen on 23 October 2012
    Harshanandan Trivedi

8. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Gotta say I would like a keypad on the wireless keyboard, apart from that it is perfect. Whatever Apple do to the design I am sure it'll look ace.

9. -SD- macrumors 6502

Apple do seem to change the keyboard design whenever the iMac receives a major design change. Last time was about five years ago when everything went aluminium.

Maybe they'll just combine the Trackpad and keyboard into a single unit. Maybe they'll finally add backlighting to the keys.

Who knows, but now you've brought it up I'm actually quite interested to see what they'll do.

:apple:

10. Felder71 macrumors member

This times 1 million. I'd be super happy with a wireless extended keyboard. Otherwise, I'll just get one with a wire. I need my keypad.

11. BSoares macrumors regular

I hope they have a keyboard with all keys, for both wired and wireless. I initially got a wireless keyboard with my iMac but had to get a wired one later for the extra keys that were missing.

As for the mouse, IMO, Apple never got a mouse right and I'm still waiting for one that is good. Every mouse they've released had some issues IMO. Maybe they should consult with Microsoft or Logitech on that, I like those much better but they only match my PC at work so there I use them, at home I deal with the crappy magic mouse so it looks good with the rest.

The magic mouse has nice features but it's too low and the right click often doesn't register. And it's not my mouse, I've tried to replace it and it also has the same issues. The Trackpad is ok but because I don't use one at work it's not practical to keep switching so my Trackpad just sits on my desk at home, rarely used.

12. Pifman macrumors newbie

I agree with pretty much everyone in this thread. I need that num pad but don't want the wire. Just give us a wireless FULL keyboard. It's that simple. I'd gladly give up the two USB ports that I rarely use.

Think they'll go with Black keys to match their MacBooks and the bezel of the screen?

13. -SD- macrumors 6502

Considering how much people moan about Apple's mice, it wouldn't surprise me if they just stuck with the Trackpad in the future. If you want to use a mouse with your Mac, go buy a third-party one.

I really don't think the Magic Mouse would be missed anyway...

:apple:

14. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Sounds about the right time for a redesign of Apple's input peripherals and I think each time they are redesigned, so is one of their desktop machines.

I know this is mainly a software issue, but I just wish Apple could implement clicking on the Magic Mouse just by tapping on the mouse.

15. oldmacrebel macrumors newbie

If you buy from Apple (online or in store) you can swap it for the trackpad thing. I haven't used a mouse since I ditched the original iMac's round POS. Various trackballs since (current is a Kensington Expert Mouse). I like the multi-touch aspect of the trackpad though.

16. Joined:
    Sep 10, 2012
    Side buttons on the Magic Mouse would be nice for Exposé/Mission Control.

I also agree with others who say that they would like a numerical keypad on the wireless keyboard. Also, separate cursor keys (like on the wired keyboard) are perfect for gaming (forward, backward, left and right).

I really can't see them updating these peripherals though, what with all of the other things being updated.

Makes me think ... if/when I order one of the new iMacs, will I go for the Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad? That's one thing I'm really not too sure about. Which of the two will you be selecting, if you buy a new iMac?

----------

... I love tap-to-click on the trackpads. I really can't understand why so many people don't use this feature?

So much faster, easier, and comfortable than physically pressing down on the button/s all the time ...

17. seanm9 macrumors regular

i like the idea of a wired keyboard w/ numeric keypad and trackpad... i've had to many issues with the BT mouse and Keyboard not connecting with the mac after i change the battery... last time the mouse would'nt respond until i logged out of my account and logged back in... BT control panel and menu item claimed they were synced... now i power down the mac to change batteries on mouse or keyboard...

18. ipodmac macrumors regular

I think I will go with the trackpad and use my own mouse. I don't know though as a friend says the the magic mouse is good but I don't think so.

19. xplnusa macrumors regular

x2

20. One Still Sheep macrumors member

One Still Sheep

In case anyone ever wondered why Apple-haters called Apple a cult.

Can you imagine someone saying this about Toyota, or Kenmore, or even Sony?

21. APlotdevice, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

My guess is Apple will introduce slightly redesigned versions with BT4.0 support and smaller battery compartments. It wouldn't surprise me if the eject key is relabeled and a dedicated voice/Siri key is added.

I would like to see better support for the iPad. Like replicating the home button with the same key that handles LaunchPad. Though I suppose this could simply be implemented in iOS if they really wanted it.

22. Joined:
    Sep 10, 2012
    I played around with it (Magic Mouse) the other day and I must admit I prefer the regular Apple Mouse (used to be called Mighty Mouse - once again an example of Apple's double standards when it comes to using other people's ideas/names!).

I have an Apple Mouse (wired, plus a wired keyboard which came with my 24" iMac which is currently in for repair) so I have that to fall back on. However, I'll not order another one of these with the new iMac (if I decide to get one) as they are about half the price of the Magic Mouse & Magic Trackpad so for economical reasons alone I'll go for either the Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad.

Still not sure which way to go, though?

Hmmm ...

23. oldmacrebel macrumors newbie

Get the trackpad. Gestures are easy to use, plus, you can usually pick up a Magic Mouse (or other company's mouse) cheaper later if you decide you want one.

24. Soundburst macrumors 6502a

The Magic Mouse would be great if you could charge it using your iMacs USB port like if the mouse had an internal battery and lightning dock.

As it stands its useless as it eats about 50% of its battery power in a days heavy use.

25. boto macrumors 6502

boto

I love the current keyboard but the mouse is a different story. As an animation designer, it is impossible for me to work efficiently with this mouse to create vectors of lines, coloring, navigating, and much more in developing accurate compositions since I require more buttons for hot keys. I only wish Apple would make a mouse similar to the Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX, just more slim, comfortable, gorgeous, and button-friendly.