Redesigned MBP's out Q4 2011?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kalach, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Kalach macrumors member

Kalach

Hey guys, i think there's a chance that the redesigned MBP's will be out before Q1 2012.

Here are my conclusions...

I've read alot and there's been alot of buzz about the new MBP's overheating issues and fan noise issues. Which is clear evidence that the new CPU's and GPU's are not working well with the recent design. Mainly because lack of ventilation in the recent design.

Also, if you look at the history of the MBP you'll see that there was a MBP refresh back in early 2008 and then at the end of 2008 there was another refresh of MBP but these ones had a new design as well as spec bumps.

Keeping that in mind, do you guys think that there will or even should be a redesign release at the end of 2011 instead of Q1 2012? What are your thoughts about this? :)

2. simsaladimbamba

The design before the Unibody design was with us for five and a half years, with some slight modifications during the switch to x86 CPUs. It could be the same with the current design, but many rumours point to a 2012 redesign, as new CPUs get released in 2012 and Apple will like put new CPUs into a new design, though they used C2D CPUs when switching to the Unibody design.

Getting tired, aren't ya?

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Doubt it. It depends on when Ivy Bridge low power CPU's come out which I think is Q1 2012.

4. Kentochan macrumors 6502

Kentochan

I hope my Sandy Bridge MBP won't be obsolete just yet :p

5. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

6. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

There could be.

2009 had two releases, with mid-2009 fixing a few blubs early-2009 had. Even my mid-2009 MBP can be pushed to 98C under maximum load. (So, so far, I've seen an improvement, actually... but I've more testing to do, but the remaining app hasn't arrived yet.)

2010 MBPs had one release, and it had big overheating problems and yet there was no second version.

I've read overheating problems have been cited since the unibody design was devised (~2006).

I've read too many reports recently suggesting that just replacing the thermal grease with (a) a lesser quantity of it, and arguably (b) a better grease such as 'Arctic Silver' would alleviate the overheating problem (10~15C improvements being reported by some brave enough to void their warranties :eek: ).

I don't think a redesign or second release will be coming out in 2011. Indeed, Apple will want to polish out any possible design details to help make up for the buzz being mentioned about the 2011 design. Apple is known for quality (great OS, great designs, and stability) - they've pushed their existing designs as much as they can and it is time for an upgrade. AppleCare is all existing owners will need.

7. aiqw9182 macrumors 65816

It all pretty much depends on when Intel decides to release Ivy Bridge(currently slated for 2012). Or when AMD/NVIDIA release their next generation mobile GPU's. Whichever takes longer.

I personally wouldn't put any bets on them releasing a redesigned MacBook Pro this year.

8. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Channelling Yoda?

9. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

From my perspective, I hope not. I want to enjoy my mbp for bit longer..:(

10. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

What issues? Nothing a pair of oven mitts and ear muffs won't fix right up.

You kids these days... always with the new stuff. When I was your age...

11. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

the new macbook pro is within normal operating range for temps. quit kidding yourself, if it overheats, have apple fix it. done. as far as the refresh goes, buy when you need one.

12. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

It's already obsolete, yet that means nothing. If it works for you, smile & enjoy it.

Having the latest can be quite overrated.

13. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

:cool::rolleyes::D

14. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

The only issues that the new MBP has with heat is user perception, with a few people who have issues due to a single defective system, and not a system design flaw. The new chips are working quite well...and user reviews reflect this.

A full redesign in 2011? NO WAY! This current refresh is IMO the most drastic leap of improvement since we transitioned from Pentium 4 to Core. The capability of the current system is impressive and it seems the 2.3GHz CPU is yet to make it into many other manufacture's systems yet given it is so new. This design was released like 5 weeks ago and people are talking about waiting for a redesign. Why not wait till Haswell while you are at it? I hear it will be 10 times better than Ivy Bridge...If a redesign comes out, it will have nominal changes. It seems there are minor updates between major overhauls. We just had one of the overhauls...

Until the design before this, the Core 2 Duo was used for OVER FOUR YEARS in the MacBook Pro. During these four plus years, the CPU used did not increase even 1 GHz, and for the past few years, the design was strikingly similar with similar cache and all. The CPU in the 13 went virtually unchanged for something like 2.5+ years.

If there was EVER a time to buy for the people worried about having the latest and greatest, then now is that time.

15. snaky69 macrumors 603

They don't have fan or overheating issues, they have over-reacting owner issues. At least that's my opinion.

16. snaky69 macrumors 603

They are talking about a physical refresh for the exterior of the laptop, not for the components.

17. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

The two would go hand in hand. If the exterior changes, the interior will as well. I imagine even more so with the MBP given the case is part of the cooling system. A smaller change may not have this issue, but historically, when Apple changes case design, it is a pretty significant difference from previous models in layout.

18. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Yes. I can see apple redesigning MBP in late 2011 or early 2012.

And yes, this design will be over 3 years old by then. Apple redesigns their laptops every 3-4 years.

Apple will most likely go with Carbon Fiber or liquid metal.

13 Inch MBP needs better screen.
    Optical drive needs to leave.
    SSD needs to be freaking standard. It's ridiculous that my MBA boots up faster than Core i7 MBP.

Weight needs to go down
    It needs to get thinner.
    Lion needs installed right out of the box.
    More ports.

19. underblu macrumors regular

You know the thing is I can't imagine a better built nicer looking laptop than the current MBP.

With the exception of the hinge the MBP is just a work of functional art. No other laptop compares.

Maybe the new design will be as aesthetically pleasing while providing greater cooling potential

20. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

Exactly. I want my new mbp to last at least 1 year before a new model comes out, especially a redesign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

Correct -no chance in he_ll the new unibody design will be released before they can put the new Ivy bridge CPU inside it.

The Ivy bridge CPU is a 25 nm size chip as oppose to the current 32 nm Sandy Bridge size chip - and therefore it develops less heat, and since heat seems to be one of the problems in the MBP, you can bet your sweet a$$ that they won't release it before they can put a cooler Ivy bridge CPU in it. Ivy bridge is also 20% faster than Sandy bridge and has better integrated GPU (more a concern for MBA users though)

Ivy Bridge is set for release in late 2011 more likely early 2012.

So in short - NO, I think you're wrong. New unibody MBP redesign won't be out until early 2012 !!

22. superericla macrumors 6502

Overheating problems with current design? I have yet to be able to push my CPU to over around 85 C with 100% load on all cores. I wouldn't exactly call that a problem.

23. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

Wow. "most likely", eh? I think you're just regurgitating stuff you've read here. We won't know until we know and I actually think the aluminum unibody will stay (albeit a different design).

Why. Does it bother you just sitting there hidden away?

Besides, with the MBP13 temps it needs that "slot" for air intake. :)

Why not offer both options to keep the price down and users can upgrade later? ... oh wait, they already do. :eek:

Why? Just "because"?

Other than Steve's thinness fetish, I don't see the current size as a user problem. If so, there's the MBA.

As opposed to what? Making new mac owners do it themselves? Lion will come preinstalled on new macs once it's released.

More ports.[/QUOTE]

24. cherishzm macrumors regular

There may be a refresh with new design late 2011 if Apple wants to grab its market share more quickly.

The 2010 version will not need to be updated anytime soon performance wise, but newly designed body (even the performance is similiar) would be very welcomed by a lot of consumers and it can be seen as as a significant change enough to consider a new purchase or early upgrade. Apple can even put a small SSD as a standard option and advertise a hugh performance increase without a new CPU/GPU
    (it is highly unlikely though).

Looking at it from a marketing perspective, we may see it this year. :)