Redress the balance! This is a no-moan MBP thread!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sir Cecil, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

It's so disheartening reading of everyone's MBP problems (and I've listed a few of my own before now), so this thread is intended as a place for HAPPY MBP owners only! If you've had a fault-free and happy experience with your particular MBP, especially if it's one of the newer models, please respond here, and let us know which model it is.

I had a couple of faulty MBPs and after reading all the complaints here, I was fearful of opening up my last replacement, fairly certain it would have one or more of the problems regularly cited here. It sat there sealed for a few days.... and when I eventually opened it... it was perfect, operationally and cosmetically. So I am now exceedingly happy. So far so good, and proof that the problems one reads about here definitely aren't applicable to all MBPs.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

17" 2.6 GHz Penryn SR MBP here and loving it! The Hi Res LED is beautiful to look at (get it calibrated, it's even more purdy) and other than the trivial trials of switching to a new OS (long time Windows user), and the paranoid tendencies of somebody who's just spent $3K+ on a new machine, it's gone pretty darn smoothly. My only regret is not getting one sooner. Full specs are in my sig.

3. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

I own a 17" MacBook Pro of my own, just bought a 15" MBP for my MUG and use a 17" MBP every day at work and have no complaints about any of them.

They're beautiful, work like a charm, no problems, no worries at all.

Just like a computer should be, and just like Apple says, they just work.

Happy, happy, happy.

4. shoarthing macrumors member

. . another user very pleased with a Penryn 17" matte LED . . despite the extreme cost here in the UK [over US$3750].

5. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Doesn't exactly sound like a ringing endorsement for Apple's QA, seeing as that you still had to replace it once. I, on the other hand, got a beautiful fully functioning 15" Penryn mbp the first go round. :)

6. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

My 2.5GHz 15" Matte is amazing!

It has its issues occasionally, but I could not be happier!

7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

8. asmallchild macrumors regular

2.4ghz MBP purchased 4/4/08

Issues thus far? Zero.

I was petrified of case warping, broken screens, wifi disconnects, sleep issues, this, that, and the other thing.

No problems at all.

9. steinlager macrumors regular

Owner of a 2.2 SR MBP bought in October 2007. It's my first mac. I'm glad I stumbled onto this forum while I was researching for my first mac. I was going to get a Blackbook but I play the occasional games so I thought the MBP would do me well.

I have zero issues with this computer. I sometimes think I do have the yellow screen issue but I think that's just psychological/eye-tricks. I have the good screen (LG?) and that's all the assurance I need. This is the best computer I've ever had and I couldn't be happier that I switched to both Mac and OS X. Since I've become a convert, I've tried to convince all my friends to get macs instead. I'm getting tired of hearing their windows complaints :rolleyes:

I just have one question. Does the 2.2 MBP have LED backlit screens as well?

10. skorpien macrumors 68020

According to the specs page on Apple's site, the 15" MBP has LED, but the 17" model doesn't. That was just introduced with the Penryn refresh. So it depends on your screen size.

Edit: Just realized you said you have the 2.2 GHz model, which was only an option for the 15", so yeah you got LED.

11. Shabbis macrumors regular

15" MBP Penryn 2.5GHz with glossy LED display (replaced my five year old 12" PB G4 867MHz). Upgraded to 4GB RAM from OWC. Not a single issue so far.

I did install Vista Ultimate thru bootcamp, but I have yet to use it. I now find the 32GB partition to be a waste of space. I just can't find a use for it.

12. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

I have a 15" MacBook Pro (Santa Rosa) 2.2 GHz working flawlessly here, Apple resolved my issue with the MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update v 1.5.1. :) Happy as a lark.

13. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

Pleased here as well, 2.4 Penny MBP.

too many people are just unpleasable these days.

on a side note, my AC adapter went bonkers, not really the MBP fault though :)

I couldnt be happier right now, and im hard to please. No yellowing on my LCD, no major design issues, no heat problems, nothing. Running XP via bootcamp for games, and parallels for just when i need to code or something.

14. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

2.4 Penryn MBP.

No issues with this at all. I was especially worried about so much people reporting yellowing but I thing I got lucky! :)

I love my mac!:p

15. RSC10 macrumors member

RSC10

2.6 ghz 17" Hi Res. It's flawless....and I LOVE it !!

16. BlueScreenX macrumors member

BlueScreenX

15 inch (matte) 2.4 penryn, 250 gig HD. Works and looks flawless. Makes my Windows desktop its bitch. I am very happy with it.

MacOS is so much better than vista and was worth the extra cash.

As a side note. I have had problems from the get-go with almost every PC i have ever bought. It is part of the deal with electronics unfortunately. Fortunately Apple seems to be very good about returns and service, unlike some companies I have dealt with.

17. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

2.16ghz Core Duo 17" purchased in September 2006, still runs as fast as day one, never had any problems with it. Best computer I've ever owned.

18. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

2.2Ghz Mac Book Pro (late 2007 model) purchased December 07.

Zero problems at all, everything "just works" (just like it says in the adverts!)

My first self-owned Mac, too - bought it for my photography, and it is the best laptop I've ever used.

Only 'upgrade' was from the standard 2GB to 4GB of RAM, which is well worth doing, and a simple job to install yourself.

19. yarinb macrumors newbie

2.4Ghz Penryn MacBook Pro (early 2008).
    Besides VERY slight yellowing (on 09c82 chimei screen), I'm very happy with it.
    running on pre-installed 10.5.2 with ZERO OS problems.

20. blackstarliner macrumors member

I just received my 15" glossy 2.4 exactly 10 minutes ago, haven't even unpacked it yet, but I am stoked and excited. I don't expect to have any major problems despite some issues reported here. My home 1.66 CD mini (first mac) has run flawlessly for 2 years now. My office mini also, used for InDesign/PhotoShop. Also have leopard here and ready to update as soon as I get home. Well, OK, I might crack open the MBP first!

21. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

17" hi res matte 2.6 penryn - Perfect. Nuff said :cool:

Seriously though, it handles anything I throw at it. I work on a G5 tooled up with a decent amount of RAM at work, and when a busy day is planned I bring my MBP because it really is that much faster! Even with only 2gb RAM.

22. Dan 7.1 macrumors newbie

well i've owned two MBP's, a 2.33GHz Napa Refresh 15" and my current 2.4GHz Santa Rosa. both machines have been excellent overall. they are definitely not perfect, my 2.33 had to have its battery, power adapter and superdrive replaced within the first year, although the superdrive replacement ended up being a good thing as i put a nicer 8x drive in to replace the dead 6x.

so far i'm really liking the SR from a hardware standpoint, the old Napa was a bit heavier and its frame wasn't as rigid, leading to it bending down slightly in the middle and the slight feeling of typing on a mattress whenever you had it actually on your lap. but because of the CPU power, the ability to cram any size HD in there you can find and the relative decent power of the GPU i was able to make it my one and only machine, replacing both my previous TiBook and my AMD gaming PC. i store my life on this computer, and it has been a more reliable companion than most people, hah.

23. isianto macrumors regular

I have the 2.1Ghz MBP, and I love it. And I don't want to go back to pc again ^_^
    It helps me with my job, my project.
    I have no regret using this mac.

24. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I have a 2.33 MBP 17" here at work and love it! I recently downloaded CoconutBattery to see what my battery life was like. It says that my computer is 18 months old and the overall battery capacity is at 91%. MUCH higher than I would have expected at 18 months. Guess I won't be getting a free battery before AppleCare runs out... :)

25. sdsviet macrumors regular

can i post about how happy i am with apple service?:D