Reduce parallax, motion should be two different settings.

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by cleo1, Oct 22, 2013.

1. cleo1 macrumors regular

I liked the option of just being able to turn off parallax—and it is kind of weird a single setting needs its own directory.

2. DMSWE macrumors newbie

Yes, couldn't agree more. I find the parallax stupid, ugly and pointless, but now I've become so used to the animations that I might wanna use them.

3. tateu macrumors 6502

Yes, I totally agree. What happens if I like the current animations but I don't like parallax? We all know that Apple has never been about giving users variety or choice, though

4. Fedmahn Kassad macrumors regular

I liked parallax :(

It's the new zero-animation experience that I think is impressive. I think it's a much better way to do things.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Where are all the people who should be saying that it doesn't need to be separate and you should live with it the way it is because that's the best way anyway? Kind of like there were a whole bunch all the time telling people that animations are just fine and people shouldn't care about them and there's nothing that needs to be changed and that Apple wouldn't waste their time on something like that that doesn't need to be addressed? :rolleyes:

That said, it would definitely be a good thing to have separate options for the two features. In a larger sense the way it is now is at least somewhat better than how it was before, but it's certainly still not perfect.

6. fardeenah macrumors regular

i kinda miss the old behaviour where i could turn off parallax and still use the zoom in and out. :( i feel like the zoom in and ou is what made ios 7 special in a away. not with the fade effect my ios 7 feels like it lost some part of its identity and behaves more like ios6 with a skin pain

7. St. Germain macrumors 6502

Completely agree. Though I have noticed that if you use a dynamic wallpaper, the background does kinda react to how you're holding the device even when you have Reduce Motion enabled.

8. Altis macrumors 68000

Wait for it.... ;)

Actually this should pipe down a few of those who insisted the animations were perfect and Apple "will never change them". Hopefully, anyways.

Good on Apple to have at least acknowledged that of the many hundreds of millions of users, some may not like the animations.

9. cleo1 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, where are those people?

And there is a bit of truth there—after messing around with 7.0.3 on my 5s for six seconds the thing absolutely roars. Unbelievable, so much more professional—never going back... But that does not mean the choice should not be there. Things done 'for our own good' is a slippery slope.

10. Altis macrumors 68000

The new animations aren't my taste, and they don't really fix the real problem which is the response gap after them.

Guess I got my hopes up when I saw the "fix". At least it helps those with the motion sickness issue.

11. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

Things still seem somewhat faster though with the animations off/reduced. Perhaps not instant or as fast as they could be, but faster compared to when the animations are on. Yes, there's still a response gap, as you mentioned, which is something separate in a sense, and while it would definitely be good if that was removed or sped up considerably, at least there's some response improvement (at least seemingly).

13. cleo1 thread starter macrumors regular

no discernible response gap on my 5s—perhaps a tad when de-springing

----------

keep in mind, Apple takes notice of viral tech forum discussions. if you believe you deserve it, the universe will serve it.

----------

it's kind of like, there's no longer any discontinuity between apps. a bit confusing—probably a net plus.

14. Altis macrumors 68000

It does make a difference if you disable the triple-click-home feature (which I require to invert colors when I get blinded by the white).

The animations are certainly much quicker, which I like. They just need to address that little delay afterwards. Overall, the time has been reduced though, so I consider this a win. :D

15. JoeyCloverfield macrumors regular

Actually, people can be happy. What you meant was "Every single person that exist can't be happy by the same thing." In other words, different people can have different opinions. So…

16. coconutxyz macrumors member

Separate will be good, i want the animation AND able to see the whole wallpaper..

17. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I thought the animates were fine the way they were, but if the change makes some people happy that's good for them. Considering I like both animations and parallax, I'm fine with it being a single toggle.

18. cleo1 thread starter macrumors regular

so we have four camps: the parallax zoomers, the static crossfaders, the static zoomers and now the parallax crossfaders. definitely need two independent toggles.

----------

I'm glad you're fine, but is it democratic?

19. CBSubliminal macrumors 6502

CBSubliminal

So with the new update there is no option to turn it off or on anymore?

20. cleo1 thread starter macrumors regular

it's both or neither

21. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Turn what off? No setting has been removed they have just changed the animations when you enable Reduce Motion.

22. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Apple is a private business, not a society or government. Democracy doesn't factor into it, but if you can get Apple to separate those toggles out then more power to you. That being said, I liked the old animations and the new animations are fine as well.

23. cleo1 thread starter macrumors regular

look, everyone. this is not a matter of like/dislike. It is an objective fact that they have taken a toggle that used to control one (1) thing, and assigned it two (2). from a ui standpoint, this is regressive.

24. darngooddesign macrumors G3

It used to be one toggle, and its still one toggle. What the toggle controls hasn't changed, its just more noticeable now.

25. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

I got disabled Parallax in 7.0.2 because I thought it probably used a tiny bit of battery and it did not seem useful to me.

The new fade out in 7.0.3 bugs my eyes for some reason, so I'm back to standard motion setting. Oh well.