Redux:iPhone was fun. ATnT needs improvement. Better Title?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Arcus, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Arcus macrumors 6502a

I cant take it anymore. The dropped calls. The first word of every sentence getting chopped off. Now...my girlfriend returns to work for the first time with hers and there is a two mile radius where we have sporatic connection at best. We drove around for an hour and both of our phones did the same thing in the same spots. She cant even use the dam thing to call anyone after leaving work or on break.

Called Atnt and they show no problem. They even got an iPhone guy on, he suggested that it might just be a dead zone. Verizon worked without issue. This sucks.

One more day, but Ill tell you, unless things get WAAAAY better by tommorow the phones are going back.

Steve, you should have worked it out with Verizon.

Atnt ....FOAD Grrrrrrrrr

2. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

verizon has poor service areas just like every other carrier.. Where I'm at, AT&T is fine and Verizon is crappy.. the only way to make everyone happy is to have it unlocked, and then Apple and AT&T would have been unhappy- can't please everyone..

3. EnderTW macrumors 6502

Apple and AT&T can afford to be unhappy, we can't. :)

4. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

I'm happy..;-)

5. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

I'm close to giving up coming to this board because of all the damn negativity.

Maybe all these people should stop EXPECTING perfection. As great as Apple is, NO ONE IS PERFECT I don't care who or what company you're talking about. And no matter WHAT, there will always be people disappointed.

6. EnderTW macrumors 6502

Or maybe the negativity stems from the fact that their is A LOT OF NEGATIVE things about the phone?

Who would of thought? lol... Or are we into the "Selective-Hearing" mode. lol

7. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Or perhaps that the moaners always post the most, and the happy people barely post at all. This always happens on forums.

8. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

6 months ago my company switched us over from Verizon to Cingular. In my opinion, in the eight states I travel in my job, there is no appreciable difference in service in these locations. (And I tend to go all over the state, not just to major cities).

Of course, all networks have strong points and weak area, ( yes, even the vaunted Verizon has dead spots).

9. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

I don't know, I've read all of the complaints, and am aware of all of the things everyone is unhappy with, but I've gotta say, I couldn't be happier..

I've had a treo 650, 2 blackberries, and a couple of smartphones (not too mention an assortment of other phones) and none of them were what I was looking for.. The iPhone is perfect for me, the more I use it the more I love it.. I got it the day it was released and more than a week later I'm still in awe of this thing.. Maybe I'm lucky and I'm in a good area, but edge works fine, as well as AT&T's service- and the iPhone itself is flawless.. I did my research, knew what I was getting, and to be honest, I couldn't be happier.. As a business owner it meets all of my needs, and then some..

10. iAmLegend macrumors regular

iAmLegend

This is exactly what it is. For every person on this forum threatening to return their iPhone there are countless others who are happy with this product, and we're too busy enjoying this phone to start a thread about every little thing we love about it.

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

This has nothing to do with the iphone if you dont get service in a particular area its time to switch carriers. Just common sense people. Personally I couldn't be happier. Been surfing, watching videos and listening to the newest Placebo without any crashes or connection issues. Even posting to these forums while doing the other stuff. I've used all the others and no phone is as seamless or pleasant as the iPhone.

Still a very happy camper.

12. eddietr macrumors 6502a

That's exactly right. And, no, I don't think it's perfect. But I like it much better than my last 3-4 phones, and better than anything else you can buy right now. No question.

But people shouldn't buy the iPhone if they have bad reception from AT&T in the areas where they need the phone most often. Just as people shouldn't buy a Verizon phone if they live in a Verizon dead zone either (yes, those do exist also.) I would think that would be common sense.

13. JPyre macrumors 6502

I agree with you 100%, I'm beyond happy, nothing could make me go back to my Windows Mobile devices on verizon i've loved for years.

To answer the topic though... Did you not have AT&T before? I would have asked around before switching carriers. I know in my city never to get Sprint/Nextel, that doesnt stop my friends from getting them just for push-to-talk.
    I don't think any reasonable amount of dropped calls / low signal would make me take back my iPhone. I find it hard to believe she can't call you during the commute, if she can't, youre either in the rockies or the commute is 2 blocks, complain, if they get enough they'll put in a tower, or get her company to get AT&T to install a repeater like verizon did for my company...
    My phone and my XM radio drop out in dead zones, everyday, same spots, I either drive faster or deal with it. Small price to pay for better phone / better radio

14. iAmLegend macrumors regular

iAmLegend

It IS common sense. I'm someone who's cellphone doubles as his house phone, so regardless of how much I wanted the iPhone there is no way I would have gotten it if the AT&T subscribers I know in my area didn't assure me they got good service here. And even with their assurance, you can bet I would have cancelled the service if I had gotten bad reception in the 9 days I've been using it here. But I haven't...and even EDGE has been great for me.

Seems a lot of people are suffering from a twisted sense of entitlement in regards to this phone, feeling as if it should have been tailor made for them, but life just doesn't work that way. Countless cool gadgets have passed me by, because for whatever reason they didn't meet my demands or fit in my budget at the time. It sucked, but I dealt with it...and in the end, found the iPhone - which has satisfied my needs and came along at a time when I could afford it. If you don't like this phone or it's service I can guarantee you there will be a product down the line that WILL meet all your needs...maybe even the next generation iPhone. But in the meantime, I see no reason to obsessively attempt to convince others that this is a terrible product when their experience so far with it has been a positive one.

15. hexonxonx macrumors 601

We have an area here that falls under the shadow of a radio station broadcasting tower about two miles away. That tower will knock out cell phones no matter what carrier, no matter what phone. It's been happening since the early 90s before there was even digital. There are going to be areas like this in every city. There is even a huge repeater tower in one area that knocks out my XM signal in my car. Things like this happen when signals come over the air.

16. wongulous macrumors 6502a

I'd be really frustrated if I were in your shoes too. I'm sorry. AT&T, and GSM technology and providers generally, DOES suck more than Verizon and CDMA. Verizon sucks in their own ways and areas, but AT&T definitely sucks more. Sorry it affects you and keeps you from an awesome Apple product.

I hope I won't be a victim of ****** AT&T coverage/service as well. :(

17. swdesignr macrumors newbie

Back off

Geez -- let the guy have his say -- this is a FORUM where people should be able to express their opinion without being called a whiner or negative. It sucks when you use a cellphone a lot and the carrier can't deliver decent service but you REALLY want an iPhone.

Where I live Verizon is GREAT and AT&T sucks royally. But I'm putting up with the dropped calls and crappy reception pretty much all over town because I have been waiting for this phone for over a year. And I love it. I don't love AT&T or EDGE and too bad if you don't like a negative opinion.

Start a Pollyanna thread somewhere and don't sully yourself in other people's truths if you can't bear to hear someting "bad" about the precious iPhone. Glad you all love it so much. So do I. You're lucky AT&T works in your area. But have a little consideration for people who aren't as "lucky" as you but still want to have an iPhone.

Ironic how people whine about the 'whiners'!!

18. cdd543 macrumors 6502

cdd543

Nothing wrong with people posting their experiences, but sweeping generalizations are ignorant. Coverage is totally dependent on your location and at&t is as good or better than Verizon in my area. Do I think CDMA or vzw suck because of this? No.. That is the nature of the industry.

19. iTom macrumors newbie

More whining!!!

Great.....more whining from know it alls. For folks who say Apple should have gone with Verizon or should have had 3G or should have done this or that. What the hell do you or I know about contract negotions and what all was involved in picking a dance partner? Not a damn thing. So tired of goofballs coming on here and telling us all what Apple SHOULD have done. You folks act like they were sitting around a table at lunch and made a decision on the flip of a coin. How many years do you think it took to launch this thing? You also seem to forget that according to who you believe they may have sold 500,000 of these phones on the first weekend. Were some hiccups to be expected?Of course they were. I happen to live in a dead zone.I knew this before I bought the phone.I trust the dead zone will either be remedied by a new tower or it won't. Living on the side of a mountain I'm betting it won't since the cost of a tower has to be weighed against how many folks it will serve. And the number of idiots who have come out of the woodwork now that the iPhone is out who seem to be able to tell us all the missing features and how Apple needs to remedy them? Where were you for six months when nearly everything we knew about the iPhone was already on the table? I am continuously amazed at the folks who come onto the forum to ask a basic question that was answered in the first two or three minutes of one of the many videos that were released prior to the launch. What idiots to come on here and gripe about a feature we knew was missing as early as March or April. I have a good feeling many of these folks got caught up in the hype and bought phones they couldn't afford and now are trying to justify to us why the Phones must be returned. You know what? Who cares? I'm betting 95-98% of us are happy that we bought the iPhone and it is serving our needs well.We'll wait excitedly for each software update that will hopefully give us new features.In the meantime if you're not happy take your Phone back and stop your whining. It's your right to take it back but we really don't care or need to hear about it.

20. janey macrumors 603

janey

Being silent about lack of features never solved any problems.

I love my iPhone but I will always be bitching (for starters) about the lack of a real iPhone SDK until Apple releases one. I will file bug reports, I will complain, I will send feedback, and I will make sure Apple knows from at least me that they really need to get going on that little thing that bugs me a lot. requests for enhancement are not uncommon, and everyone gets to deal with them for everything, Apple is not an exception to the rule.

I knew it was not happening way earlier, I was majorly pissed off at WWDC when this was officially announced, and I got one anyway but I want Apple to do something about it because it is a major shortcoming for the iPhone. If you're telling me I should just live with the phone cause it works as is and I should be happy with it, well...you'd be hard pressed to find someone who's completely satisfied in every way with his or her iPhone. I'm following all the new developments about iPhone "hacking" constantly.

Again, I repeat, if you don't like it, feel free to ignore it because nobody's forcing you to read these threads. This is an open forum, and they have the same right as you to post in here. I'm sick of these threads too, but they are legitimate and replies such as yours are just as irritating to read, and so are mine, which is why I'm complaining about your post, as you will surely complain about or ignore mine in a twisted little infinite loop. We get the idea mmkay?

21. swdesignr macrumors newbie

Oh well

What a nice welcoming committee for new Mac people... maybe whose first purchase was an iPhone and who didn't devour every nanobyte of pre-release information.

I wonder how many new members joined this forum in the last several weeks and are just learning about the wonderful world of Apple?

I'm glad the Mac User Group in my town was made up of nice people who didn't belittle you for your ignorance -- it was a much better introduction, and they have been invaluable over the last dozen years.

As a Forum newbie, but long-time Mac User, I hope members new and old keep posting their opinions in spite of some bad apple attempts to intimidate or censor.

Whine on, iPhoneys, whine on!

22. r4m3n macrumors newbie

it boggles me how AT&T claims they have the fewest dropped calls. ironic isn't it.

yea...fewest dropped calls...assuming you can even make a call go through :rolleyes:

23. Arcus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Paragraphs are your friend.

Then dont read my post.

Look, Im frustrated. I spend $1200 on two of these things. I expect them AND the service to work as good as my $30 phone. I understand all the crap you guys ar e beating me up about but I have a right to be frustrated and as long as I am a user here I have a right to post.

24. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    I agree with JPyre's line of questions. Did you have AT&T before? Have you hade trouble speaking with other AT&T subscribers in the past? I'm wondering how much that's the issue, and how much you should have looked into coverage in your area before hand. I've heard this advice before, in fact, someone is inquiring about it in another thread. I think that's the smart way to look at it.
    I'm a little put off by people not phrasing their complaints as area-based complaints... like "AT&T sucks in my area, beware!" as opposed to "Avoid the iPhone ala ATnT" (which only sounds like your trying to get attention by iPhone bashing, though you don't have anything to really say about the phone). People in different area may have the reverse problem with a Verizon exclusive deal, so you really need to take that into account, or those people will have problems understanding your complaint. For instance, I have Sprint, and AT&T is actually better in my area.

~ CB

25. Indydenny macrumors 6502

Indydenny

Exactly, you certainly do! But the problem is that your title reads "Suggestion: Avoid the iPhone ala ATnT" which really makes no sense whatsoever unless we live and commute where you do. Or unless you have been all over the country testing the network for us.

I moved from Verizon for the iPhone and really find NO DIFFERENCE in coverage in MY AREA. Your issue is the service, NOT the iPhone.

Back to the iPhone: I was skeptical. After Treos 600, 650 and 700p, I bought the iPhone more out of curiosity. I was sure I would miss my Palm apps (Documents to Go, Intelligolf, MyBible, etc.) and the 14 day return policy gave me the option to try the iPhone without be stuck with it.

But now the 700p is in a drawer while I'm enjoying using a phone like never before. (Bought my wife an iPhone too and she LOVES it!)

Kudos, Apple! This is FUN!

Indydenny