Referbished MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paul17win, Jan 16, 2008.

1. paul17win macrumors member

paul17win

Am i really going to notice the difference between a refurb and a new MBP? and will leopard be pre-installed? Thank you

2. AirborneAngel macrumors 6502

Well obviously the new MBP is well...new. With a refurbished MacBook pro there is always a chance that it could have something wrong with it (that bypassed the initial inspections), it all depends on who you are buying the refurb on, and if it is refurbished by apple themselves.

Leopard may or may not be installed, read the product description/ask the seller.

3. ClassicMac247 macrumors 6502

ClassicMac247

They are just like new, and I'm fairly certain leopard is pre installed.

4. paul17win thread starter macrumors member

paul17win

5. AirborneAngel macrumors 6502

Yeah, then it most probably has Leopard (which rocks), and will most probably be relatively flawless (if it's not you get the 12 month warrantee from apple.)

6. paul17win thread starter macrumors member

paul17win

and can i purchase a refurb in a retail apple store?

7. xkRoWx macrumors regular

xkRoWx

Contrary to popular beliefs, refurbished electronics tends to have a longer life span compared to new.

Thats what my logic tells me. With refurbished products, they are usually checked thoroughly before releasing it back to the market. With a brand new product, sure you're guaranteed a first hand product, but they might have many underlying problems because they're usually assumed to be perfect.

Ever opened a brand new product only to find it malfunctions? Its nice to own everything first hand, but sometimes (just sometimes), you might want to consider refurbished for some savings (I believe refurbished products have warranty, correct me if I'm wrong.). Nothing is wrong with that. Nobody will laugh at you.

Good luck, mate! :D

8. coolant113 macrumors 6502

coolant113

I have a refurbished MBP... there is no difference at all and i have never had one problem with it i would strongly recommend somebody buying apple refurbished products:apple::apple:

9. paul17win thread starter macrumors member

paul17win

Did your Refurb ship with leopard installed? i think im just going to buy a refurb and then use the saved money to buy the iphone

10. coolant113 macrumors 6502

coolant113

i bought mine last january.... when tiger was still the OS, but i would assume it would come pre-installed if not it should come with a drop in upgrade disk

11. akadmon macrumors 68010

Are refurbs eligible for educational/corporate discounts?

12. coolant113 macrumors 6502

coolant113

no they are not eligible for educational discounts... but i do not know about the corporate discount part..:apple::apple:

13. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Upside down. Refurbished MBPs have less of a chance of defects than new ones, precisely because they *have* been checked by humans prior to boxing. A robot's not going to spot the yellow screen on your brand new 15" before it's boxed. A human with color vision and a paycheck just might.

14. ydb1914 macrumors member

ydb1914

is pay pal safe?

i'm purchasing a MBP from ecomElectronics.com and it's a very good deal; on top of this, your free ground shipping will be upgraded to next next day air if you use your pay pal...but unfortunately, i don't have this. i tried opening an account & they ask me for my bank info, my bank on line user id & even my password??? hmmm...smell something "physhy"..:confused:.need help from those who already have paypal accounts...much appreciated! ;)

15. akadmon macrumors 68010

I just checked my EPP page on Apple.com. No, there is no corporate discount on refurbs.

16. wentwj macrumors regular

just go directly to paypal.com and sign up for an account. PayPal itself is a very large company (owned by Ebay) and are more or less trustworthy. You get the occasional person who hates them for reason X or Y, but they are big enough that they aren't going to go steal your money or anything like that. They operate by taking money directly out of your bank account though, which is why they need your numbers (though I think you might be able to redirect them to a credit card? I dunno, my paypal account goes directly to my bank account).

Just make sure you go to paypal.com to sign up, there are phishing sites out there that notriously try to scam people into thinking they are paypal.

17. ydb1914 macrumors member

ydb1914

is pay pal safe???

i already signed up, but i want my status to upgrade into a "verified member" & in order for me to do this, they need my bank information...i already gave them my routing & bank account number...but when they ask me to log in my online banking user id & password...that's when i drew the line...:(

18. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I don't like Paypal. I have an account, but I no longer use it. Read too many stories of them yanking money out of people's accounts, and I don't like the fees they charge. I'd recommend using the regular shipping plan, unless you really think a slightly faster delivery is worth giving Paypal your bank information.

19. ydb1914 macrumors member

ydb1914

very true indeed...once you've given them your routing number, there's no way of stopping them from getting money from your account..don't have that much, but hey...it's my money...thanks :apple:

20. nathan01 macrumors newbie

hey when they release new macbook pro's how long do you think it will be before we can buy refurbished ones?

21. aquajet macrumors 68020

Every part in a computer has a failure rate. Some parts fail more often than others. If a refurbished machine has been "gone over", that does not decrease the probability that a particular component will fail. Likewise, any replacement parts in a refurbished machine are just as likely to fail as the parts found inside a new machine -- unless the replacement parts are designed and manufactured to be of significantly higher quality than the parts found in a new machine. And that sounds unlikely to me.

An anecdote for you -- I purchased my refurbished MBP directly from Apple in November 2006. Since then, the logic board, Superdrive, speakers, right fan and the memory module have been replaced. It required four trips to the repair depot.

22. Manda macrumors regular

Manda

I brought my macbook pro 2.4 17" of the apple refurb store and have brought from them previously in the past with no problems. It came running tiger and with an upgrade disc with leopard which u needed tiger to be on the mac to run and also came with ilife 08.

23. xxtee78xx macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a refurb 2.2 SR MBP 15" about 2 months. It arrived in like new condition. Not a single scratch, yellowing on the screen, or any fingerprints. Leopard came as a drop in, so I had to update it myself. I've had no problems with it at all.

24. djellison macrumors 68020

Refurbs have the benefit of the weakest link having already bust :)

My current MB is a refurb - the only thing I could tell was a tiny bit of what looked like dried blackcurrent juice in the odd corner of the keyboard...I wonder why it went back :)

Doug