refereence videos ??? sync with ipod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by gazzzmoly, Nov 1, 2007.

1. gazzzmoly macrumors regular

Hi all

i have been cleaning out my itunes library today "8 hours worth" sorting out artwork and cd numbers etc.

then i gotta thinking!!! i may use itunes for my videos as well. But i don't like the fact my videos get put in the same location as my music (external drive) my movies are changed regularly and i like them being in my movies directory (file shared to my 360)

so i have made reference movies using quicktime pro and imported them into itunes....works like a charm... but i was wondering if i can use the reference movies to sync the main movie to my ipod ???

can somebody try this as i do not get my iphone till next friday

Thanks in advance Gazzzmoly

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Turn off "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library". The movies will remain on the shared/external drive and will sync to your iPod normally as long as the external drive is available. If the files get moved, iTunes will ask to locate them.

3. gazzzmoly thread starter macrumors regular

some of the movies are in .avi divx xvid and wmv itunes doesn't like those file types but reference movies gets around that.

Sorry let me clarify my music library is on an external drive. my movies are on my internal drive.

all movies are imported into itunes using reference movies created in quicktime pro..

not all movies will be put onto ipod just valid filetypes ie mp4.mov but i sill want these on my internal drive..

4. gazzzmoly thread starter macrumors regular

surley somebody know the answer to this or could try it for me please.....

i will be your bestest friend in the whole wide world.

5. krissvl macrumors member

Im still not completely sure what your after. but i use reference files too and they are small files stored in your itunes folder and 'reference' the movie stored elsewhere on your harddrive/s. so the actual reference file wont contain any information (it just tricks Itunes into thinking it has .mov as a file extension and imports it, it still uses quick time components to play the file) . so your going to have to convert to MP4 for ipod t play them, and if you just want a back up on your ipod i would manually place the original movie (not reference file) on the HD part of the Ipod/