Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

perfectshadows

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
England
Okay so i have got myself a new MBP and I am amazed at it its so amazing compaired to my windows machine.

The more I read this forum the more i see people have go the i7 route I didn't go i7 as I felt it was not needed for my usage I mean I might use aperture at some point in my life but not extensively it wold be just to play with photos.

I guess my question is should I be happy with the 2.53 i5 that I have or should I return and cough up the extra £150 for the i7 variant? Or should I saved that £150 and go for more ram or SSD's? after all its only 0.13ghz extra ? geekbench put is as 448 points more.

I have mroogled and googled the death out of this, I am just looking for a no crap answer to will i see a difference in every day usage as all I do is calc, itunes, iphoto, sync my iphone4, ical, mail, safari, imovie when bored, and maybe in the future possibly some apperture when i get a better camera or my girlfriend does, I just don't know enough yet about macs to know if what I have is enough or not.

Thank you all for replys I must appolgise for my fickleness in these matters but you guys seem to be the best source of real world answers I can find.

ps. my girlfriend told me to shut up n be happy with what i've got or she is going to bash me on the head and bury me in a back garden, so if anyone wants to save my life cheers.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Another vote for your girlfriend. Be content with what you have, the i7 won't give you that much more processing power and it will impact your battery to a greater degree

Fubar1977

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
North Yorkshire, UK
+1 you won`t see much (if any) real world difference with the i7.
Stick with the i5, my 2.4 is plenty fast enough.
Save up for an SSD if you want to see real world speed increases in just about everything.

thebeautyisfake

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
For what you're doing you honestly won't notice the difference. It's always an annoying feeling knowing you could have got the better version, but just be happy you didn't and saved yourself a bit of cash!
Now go and spend that £150 on your girlfriend so she doesn't go ahead with the killing :p

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
ps. my girlfriend told me to shut up n be happy with what i've got or she is going to bash me on the head and bury me in a back garden, so if anyone wants to save my life cheers.
Did you pick a good spot in the garden? Be sure it's shady! :D

gameface

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2010
Boston, MA
I have edited HD broadcast tv programs on a 2.4 C2D MBP. Trust me, you'll be fine with what you got.

You could have got a MB and been happy if you weren't so vain because nothing you are doing even needs the pro.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Listen to your girlfriend. Your peni....I mean processor envy is just the testosterone talking.

devilstrider

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
+1 you won`t see much (if any) real world difference with the i7.
Stick with the i5, my 2.4 is plenty fast enough.
Save up for an SSD if you want to see real world speed increases in just about everything.

Is a SSD really worth it? I heard about the MBP not waking up and stuff.

Stvwndr219

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2009

Which would you rather lose? Your e-peen or your girlfriend and your head? Realistically, it won't make much difference at all. Spend the money on the girl! :D (At least that's what my gf would tell me...)

Narse77

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Unless you are doing video or audio encoding, transcoding or hardcore gaming you will not see the difference at all, most people would not see the difference in a fast core 2 duo and the i7 to be completely honest.. If someone tells you that you would see a difference they are full of crap. The biggest bottleneck for any computer is the storage media get a fast SSD or a Momentus XT, then you WILL see a huge difference. The mobility i7 and i5 are not very far in forms of performance for everyday tasks.

perfectshadows

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
England
thank you all for your replies its put my mind at rest I will look into this SSD's or momentus XT's see what its like i shall google them.

On the up side i wont need to get a grave stone and I save a little cash cos I can get the missess to take back that shuvel to B&Q and I get to live that little bit longer, well least until the next thing.

DJ-R

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2010
yeah GF is telling you to be quiet cuz she is jealous over you and your Macbook... :p

DJ-R

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2010
Well here is your result:

http://eshop.macsales.com/Video/SSD/Performance_Test

Core i5 and i7 different in Mhz doesn't really show the whole performance.

As you can see the 2.4Ghz is faster at loading due to SSD.

Overall right now i5 and i7 doesn't really matter. What's matter is the HDD.

I am waiting for next year or way later for the price to drop on SSD seriously. Having SSD will blown out more computer +5 years in advance due to the speed. Just speaking in general, if you are able to obtain SSD. Your computer will feel new again.

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
Everyone always thinks the grass is greener :)

Listen to her, she's right. Forget about what else is out there, that's the only way to enjoy what you already have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.