Reformat/Repair disk problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrxchris, May 15, 2013.

1. mrxchris macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I am currently in the process of trying to reformat my Mid-2010 MBP. However, I don't have my original OSX install disks with me. I have recently bought Mountain Lion in hopes of doing a fresh install with Mountain Lion instead (I currently have Snow Leopard).

In the beginning stages of prepping for a fresh install, I ran a test on my startup disk and it says that there are problems and I have to repair it. However, I don't have my original disks to start up. What are my options now?

Thanks.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You should have the option of running Disk Utility from the ML install boot.

Restart to the installer, and in the first dialog there is an option to launch Disk Utility, or you can find it from the menu bar.

3. mrxchris thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks I'll try that as ML is still downloading at the moment. However, after i tried to verify the disk in Disk Utility, it asked me to reboot and start up with my original disk. Would that matter?

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Maybe I misunderstood. Thought you already had ML and were using Disk Utility off of that boot. If you have a retail SL, instead of the original disc, it might be ok - as long as it's 10.6.3 or later (data I have says that's what your MBP shipped with). Even a retail 10.6.3 might not be as current a build as what shipped with the machine, but Disk Utility off any SL disc should get you going enough to go on with the ML install. (That's assuming you can boot from it. If it's an earlier build of SL than what was shipped with the MBP, it might not startup off of it.)

When you startup during the ML install, you'll be given the options to run Disk Utility from there. If it does any repairs, you should be able to just start the install again.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Download ML from the App Store and do not start the installer. Then use this free app with a 8GB USB key to make yourself a USB installer. Once that is done, option key boot to the installer then run Disk Util repair form there.

I think your problem is you are trying to fix the same disk you are booted onto. By booting from the USB key, it should get around this.