Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to announce a new low-cost iPad and an updated iPad Pro with the M2 Apple silicon chip and possible MagSafe charging capabilities during an event currently scheduled for October of this year, according to a post from the account "yeux1122" on the Korean blog Naver, citing sources.

AppleEventLogoFeature.jpg

The account has been the source of accurate information in the past, including accurately revealing details about the fifth-generation iPad Air and yet unconfirmed details on the iPhone 14. The account has also shared information that has not turned out accurate, including a rumor about an "iPad mini Pro."

The account claims in a post today that the low-cost iPad, which is expected to get a significant redesign with flat edges and a larger display, will launch alongside a new iPad Pro in October, after the iPhone 14's event next month.

The upcoming low-cost iPad is expected to feature the A14 Bionic chip, 5G, a larger display, and a USB-C port.

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman reported last week that Apple has already started production on the iPhone 14 and Apple Watch Series 8 event for September, adding he expects Apple to hold two events this fall, with the latter being focused on the iPad and the Mac.

Apple announced an updated iPad Pro in April 2021 with a 12.9-inch mini-LED display and the M1 Apple silicon chip. The launch of the newer and more powerful iPad Pro with M2 will likely coincide with the launch of iPadOS 16, which is expected to launch in October rather than earlier in the fall alongside iOS 16. iPadOS 16 includes more minor refinements and features for non-M1 iPads, such as improvements in Messages, Safari, and more.

For iPads with M-series chips, Apple offers Stage Manager on iPadOS 16, which lets users run multiple apps in windows, overlapping each other, with external display support. Other than the performance of the M2 chip and Stage Manager in iPadOS 16, previous rumors have suggested the 2022 iPad Pro could benefit from some form of MagSafe charging capabilities.

Article Link: Refreshed Low-Cost iPad and M2 iPad Pro Said to Launch at October Apple Event

Tom_Aatje

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2018
Intrigued to truly see what the M2 iPad Pro has to offer but it definitely seems an unlikely/unnecessary upgrade for me when I own the M1 iPad Pro.
Same, I also upgraded from the previous gen and in the end, I don't feel like it does anything better with the M1. Doubt the M2 will make a big difference.

Reactions: KurtMann

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
This is a bit obvious, I’d like to know something more specific, like, if the M2 SoC on the iPad Pro is going to be built in 3nm. What do you say, Gurman?

It’s probably going to be the same 5nm M2 than on the MBA, however, I can’t imagine a chip reaching 108ºC inside an iPad. That could make the use pretty uncomfortable… and the 3nm technology will be available for the release of the next iPad Pro.

The M2 consumes more power than the M1, and honestly I don’t think the iPad is prepared to handle those thermals… an M2 built in 3nm, on the other hand, would be much, much cooler.

vagos

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
Apple is trying to replace laptops with ipads. The reason is simple. All app revenue will pass through the app store (hello 30%). I refuse to take part in this. I love my MBA and will ignore everything apple does on the ipad.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Intrigued to truly see what the M2 iPad Pro has to offer but it definitely seems an unlikely/unnecessary upgrade for me when I own the M1 iPad Pro.
Only things new are M2 and magsafe charging? Magsafe charging on an iPad 12.9 does not seem like something that is a benefit.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
Only thing that could make me switch to a new iPad Pro would be if they had dual camera’s on it that allowed the camera to be utilized better in landscape. If not dual, then a camera on the side so the iPad can actually be used like a laptop.

Outside of that, some tiny little spec bump to an M2 (which is likely what this iPad Pro will be) won’t be worth it.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Apple is trying to replace laptops with ipads. The reason is simple. All app revenue will pass through the app store (hello 30%). I refuse to take part in this. I love my MBA and will ignore everything apple does on the ipad.
The weak iPadOS literally says otherwise lol

Apple already said 2-3 years ago that they're not trying to blur the lines between Macs and iPads. And people like you have been saying this nonsense for at least 10 years now.

NARadyk

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2021
UK
It is unnecessary. Why do people think they need to update yearly? You don’t do it with cars.

I don’t think I need to upgrade yearly. That is not what was meant by my post. I still do eagerly await to see the updated versions of the products I own though and if by the off chance they have something to entice me to upgrade (rarely the case) then I will but I don’t do it just to have the latest and greatest, I do it for me and my needs.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

Do you find yourself to often post regarding products you have no interest in?

• Haha
Reactions: iGeneo and Jxdawg

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Any new iPad Pro is likely aimed at users of a 2018 or 2020 iPad Pro.
I do believe that the iPad is Steve Job's vision of computing made simple and accessible to the typical average user. Interacting via a touchscreen is so much more intimate than a keyboard and mouse, and iOS abstracts away the more complicated and frustrating aspects of a desktop OS.

This doesn't mean everyone needs a pro iPad, but I am thankful that the iPad is too much like the Mac. The Mac's heaviness is what allows the iPad to be as light as it is.

tpannier

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2022
Belgium
This is a bit obvious, I’d like to know something more specific, like, if the M2 SoC on the iPad Pro is going to be built in 3nm. What do you say, Gurman?

It’s probably going to be the same 5nm M2 than on the MBA, however, I can’t imagine a chip reaching 108ºC inside an iPad. That could make the use pretty uncomfortable… and the 3nm technology will be available for the release of the next iPad Pro.

The M2 consumes more power than the M1, and honestly I don’t think the iPad is prepared to handle those thermals… an M2 built in 3nm, on the other hand, would be much, much cooler.
Stating that 'M2 consumes more power than M1' is not entirely correct. M2 can consume more power than M1 for higher peak performance, but it can also consume just as much power as M1 for slightly better performance (M2 slightly more efficient than M1). These SoCs are very adaptive in their power consumption, and are tuned for optimal behavior for every device and task load.

Reactions: KurtMann
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.