Refurb iMac 27" won't turn on

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Swift Sketcher, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Swift Sketcher macrumors regular

Dec 26, 2007
    Just received my refurb today. I set it down, plug it in ready to go, hit the power button and...

Not a sound. This might be the first electronic that is dead on arrival for me. Is this a symptom to another problem, or is it a dud plain and simple? I've been trying different outlets too. Will be taking to the apple store this afternoon :(
  2. esmith macrumors member

Oct 10, 2011
    Unplug the power from the back and hold the power button for 5 seconds.

Plug back in and if there is still no boot (assuming you know the outlet it good) then of course return it.
  3. Swift Sketcher thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 26, 2007
    Yeah, turns out it was a totally dead machine. Sigh.

I'm honestly surprised as I thought refurbs would be guaranteed to at least turn on and thoroughly tested before being put up for sale again. Such a shame, it looked like a new machine too!

I was able to get a full refund at least. Off to hunting for another refurb I suppose. Hopefully I'll have better luck next time. I guess this shows refurb checks aren't perfect. :eek:
  4. bonafide macrumors regular

Feb 26, 2007
    Wow, Sorry about your luck. I was always under the impression refurbs are guaranteed to work after being completely inspected. Guess not...
  5. daftpunkstu, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011

daftpunkstu macrumors member

Oct 17, 2011
    could just be a glitch in the refurb system, i'm sure if you took it back you'd get another that would work free of charge!
  6. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Feb 17, 2008
    Normally that's the case. You've got a better chance of receiving a dud when buying new than buying refurb. Looks like you just got unlucky.
  7. Swift Sketcher thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 26, 2007
    Just an update, got my replacement refurb recently, works and looks like new!
    There's even a 2gig video card installed when I only ordered it with 1gig, A nice surprise for sure! Good to see my luck balance out :p
  8. doctorcrentist macrumors newbie

Oct 8, 2011
    I'd say that balanced out nicely, indeed! Enjoy!
  9. Akack macrumors 6502a

Mar 5, 2011
  10. philipma1957 macrumors 603

Apr 13, 2010
    Howell, New Jersey
    that is the nice thing about apple refurbs. every once in a while you get a over specced machine