Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alansmallen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
So, on Saturday I went and purchase at $249 8GB Refurb iPhone from my local AT&T store. The man helping us saw my paranoia in purchasing and refurb and brought out several for me to choose from. After making my decision, I went home and activated my phone as usual (this is my second iPhone activation). As I started to use it, it started to get uncomfortably hot and the battery would die after a couple of short hours.

Today, I went to my Apple Store to complain about the phone. After attempting to prove the phone got hot (which it did, but not in the Apple Store) the Genius started filling out replacement forms. Within 5 minutes he left and came back with a white box. He told me that Apple supplied them with a box of replacement iPhones: half which were refurb, and half which were brand new. He said that they did this to prevent people from constantly wanting to change their phones. After he reactivated and synced my phone with my laptop, I started looking at the phone and noticed how it was perfectly clean, and didn't have small scratch marks like my original refurb did. I am convinced that I was given a brand new iPhone.

Final verdict: I paid $249 for something that once cost $599.

If you have any questions concerning the refurb, ask away!:)

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A110a Safari/419.3)

Lucky... I paid almost twice that for my 16g iPod touch :p

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
It's amazing what treating customers like people does. That's why I'm a little less hesitant about buying mine from Apple. My battery recall fix was so easy and painless.

That still doesn't mean I'm worried about buying one. Like most of you, I have SO built this thing up in my head. I am glad that I'm just spending $250 on one instead of $400-500. If I completely hate it, at least I'm only out $250. If I love it, I can use this one for a year or two and then get a newer one down the road.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Man, I paid $599 for mine last year. It's cool though, I still think it's one of the best gadgets I've ever bought!

After buying a car a couple of years ago, I learned to stop worrying *too* much about being able to get bigger and better things a year later. About now I kinda regret not getting a hybrid Camry, but not much I can do about it now. I'm still getting about 4mpg better mileage than before.

But as far as iPhone, I'm really looking forward to cluttering AT&T's network. I've been paying them tons of money for barely making any calls (I have about 2,500 rollover minutes). Now if we could just tether these things!

benmrii

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2007
FL
Buying a refurbished product from Apple is pretty much always a good buy. You save money but the product is treated as if it were new by Apple... meaning your warranty - either 1 year or extended - begins on the day of purchase and within 10 days (or 2 weeks, I don't remember) you can return it for a complete swap.

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
Buying a refurbished product from Apple is pretty much always a good buy. You save money but the product is treated as if it were new by Apple... meaning your warranty - either 1 year or extended - begins on the day of purchase and within 10 days (or 2 weeks, I don't remember) you can return it for a complete swap.

Yup, all my refurbed experience has been top notch!

Jenheta

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2008

I also have only good things to say about refurbs from Apple.
My concern this time, though, is AT&T. Who knows what
they did (or didn't) to these units ? I heard some refurb users got
unlocked iPhones :rolleyes: and others with (minor) scratches or
dead batteries.

I have a question to the OP : did you have the orange box from AT&T
or the original one from Apple ?

iHerzeleid

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
dead batteries.

Yea the ATT Refurb i bought for my dad has some minor scratches on the chrome. It's ok though because it was only $250

:]

alansmallen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
dead batteries.

Just out of curiosity, what is OP?

I got the orange AT&T box with all the accessories.

TXCraig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Apple does not sell junk refurbished equipment. I think this point you purchased a refurb phone and had problems with it was all in your head.

All referbed phones have BRAND NEW outside parts and batteries so saying you got one with scratches is very strange. Its almost like you purchased a USED phone, not a referbed one and there is a BIG difference between the two.

New outside parts, batteries, and being fully tested are part of the referb process... in many times- a referb item is better then new because of the amount of testing time it is given.

The only physical difference between a referbed phone and new one is the box!

Jenheta

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2008
Apple does not sell junk refurbished equipment. I think this point you purchased a refurb phone and had problems with it was all in your head.

All referbed phones have BRAND NEW outside parts and batteries so saying you got one with scratches is very strange. Its almost like you purchased a USED phone, not a referbed one and there is a BIG difference between the two.

New outside parts, batteries, and being fully tested are part of the referb process... in many times- a referb item is better then new because of the amount of testing time it is given.

The only physical difference between a referbed phone and new one is the box!

Not true.
Apple sells a refurb for US$ 350.00. AT&T offers the same at US$250.00.
Although both are refurbs, I wonder what is the real definition of refurb when it is coming from AT&T. Their website has the following statement with an unclear definition of "standard" :

Sold exclusively online, Refurbished Phones are pre-owned cell phones and devices that have been returned during the 30-day trial period. Each Refurbished Phone/Device is independently tested and reflashed with the latest software to meet new factory standards.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/basics/choosing-phone/refurbished-phones.jsp

hotsauce3868

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2007
Not true.
Although both are refurbs, I wonder what is the real definition of refurb when it is coming from AT&T. Their website has the following statement with an unclear definition of "standard" :

Sold exclusively online, Refurbished Phones are pre-owned cell phones and devices that have been returned during the 30-day trial period. Each Refurbished Phone/Device is independently tested and reflashed with the latest software to meet new factory standards.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/basics/choosing-phone/refurbished-phones.jsp

agreed. at&t and apple have different refurb policies. from what i have been reading, apple really does refurbish the iPhones they receive while at&t just seems to repackage it.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
So, on Saturday I went and purchase at $249 8GB Refurb iPhone from my local AT&T store....

You say it's worth $599. That's interesting. My 16GB cost $539 (with restocking fee from 8GB purchased within 14-day window). Perhaps you meant to say $399.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
Not true.
Although both are refurbs, I wonder what is the real definition of refurb when it is coming from AT&T.

Apple typically repackages and replaces missing components so that it looks just like new hardware. AT&T is just erasing, replacing the SIM card, and polishing used hardware. You can find a good deal from either place but manufacturer-refurbish is typically more sound than a distributor's efforts.

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
You say it's worth $599. That's interesting. My 16GB cost $539 (with restocking fee from 8GB purchased within 14-day window). Perhaps you meant to say $399.

When the iPhone was first released in June last year the original price was $599.

The price drop to $399 came in September 2007, for the 8GB model.

So alansmallen's comment was correct.... the 8GB iPhone once cost $599.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
When the iPhone was first released in June last year the original price was $599.

The price drop to $399 came in September 2007, for the 8GB model.

So alansmallen's comment was correct.... the 8GB iPhone once cost $599.

Since the 16GB model did not exist in September but now costs $499, by this logic, the 8GB iPhone is more expensive than the 16GB. :rolleyes:

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
Since the 16GB model did not exist in September but now costs $499, by this logic, the 8GB iPhone is more expensive than the 16GB. :rolleyes:

Is what he said incorrect? He paid $249 for something that once cost $599.

Where is the error in that statement?

otep1760

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2007
yes, the 8gb iphone cost $599 when it first came out, and then went to $399 in september when the price drop happened. and now they are selling for $249 refurbed, at least at the ATT stores.

EDIT: if i was to go buy one of these 8gb refurbs could i replace it with my 4gb simcard and everything work well?

Hadji213

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2008
So, on Saturday I went and purchase at $249 8GB Refurb iPhone from my local AT&T store. The man helping us saw my paranoia in purchasing and refurb and brought out several for me to choose from. After making my decision, I went home and activated my phone as usual (this is my second iPhone activation). As I started to use it, it started to get uncomfortably hot and the battery would die after a couple of short hours.

Today, I went to my Apple Store to complain about the phone. After attempting to prove the phone got hot (which it did, but not in the Apple Store) the Genius started filling out replacement forms. Within 5 minutes he left and came back with a white box. He told me that Apple supplied them with a box of replacement iPhones: half which were refurb, and half which were brand new. He said that they did this to prevent people from constantly wanting to change their phones. After he reactivated and synced my phone with my laptop, I started looking at the phone and noticed how it was perfectly clean, and didn't have small scratch marks like my original refurb did. I am convinced that I was given a brand new iPhone.

If you have any questions concerning the refurb, ask away!:)

Out of curiosity, does the serial number on your replacement iPhone begin with "5K"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.