Refurb iPhone good?

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
I have Verizon and my iPhone 7 has been messing up there wanting to send me a certified like new device anything wrong with a refurbished iPhone.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I have Verizon and my iPhone 7 has been messing up there wanting to send me a certified like new device anything wrong with a refurbished iPhone.
Are you going through Verizon or Apple? If from Apple, refurbished iPhones come with a new battery and outer shell. I would have no problem accepting a refurbished iPhone from Apple directly.

Reactions: aristobrat

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
I'd double check that.

Is Verizon itself replacing as the middleman for the Apple warranty or is your replacement courtesy of Verizon through Asurion/Asurant?
Warranty. He told me that Apple doesn't allow them to touch there phones.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
The guy from Verizon told me it's coming from Apple.
That's interesting. I was under the impression that Verizon certified like new devices were customer returns because they didn't like them or wanted something else. Then Verizon does their testing and uses them for replacements. I could be wrong but I couldn't find where they say they get the devices from the manufacturer here:
https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/certified-like-new-replacements/

I've also read stories of Verizon sending people certified like new replacement devices that were older than their original purchase and Apple declined warranty repair.

Example: You purchased your iPhone in 11/16 but Verizon sends you a certified like new iPhone that was originally purchased in 9/16 so you go to Apple and have 2 less months of warranty. So at this point you are stuck with going through Verizon only.

In my opinion, just go through Apple. That is the best thing about having an iPhone; Apple support if anything goes wrong.

I have to go through Verizon for replacement devices for the Pixel I have, and I wish I had the option to go to Apple.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
That's interesting. I was under the impression that Verizon certified like new devices were customer returns because they didn't like them or wanted something else. Then Verizon does their testing and uses them for replacements. I could be wrong but I couldn't find where they say they get the devices from the manufacturer here:
https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/certified-like-new-replacements/

I've also read stories of Verizon sending people certified like new replacement devices that were older than their original purchase and Apple declined warranty repair.

Example: You purchased your iPhone in 11/16 but Verizon sends you a certified like new iPhone that was originally purchased in 9/16 so you go to Apple and have 2 less months of warranty. So at this point you are stuck with going through Verizon only.

In my opinion, just go through Apple. That is the best thing about having an iPhone; Apple support if anything goes wrong.

I have to go through Verizon for replacement devices for the Pixel I have, and I wish I had the option to go to Apple.
Yeah I don't have an Apple Store around here. But he told me I had a good chance of getting a brand new iPhone since they don't replace many iPhone 7's, and I bought my iPhone on launch day September 16th

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
the pool
I would be fine with it, nothing you can do about it anyway
As long as they're all stock parts, no major wear, and turns on then I'll take it
[doublepost=1488761644][/doublepost]
I dont trust something refurbished by a carrier or their 3rd party repair shops.
Hi Applejuiced,

the device is going to be replaced by Apple Inc., as the Verizon rep told OP,
should be fine

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
The guy from Verizon told me it's coming from Apple.
That's a bs lie.
Many wireless carriers do their own refurbishment process or repackage returned phones and give them out as replacements.
I wouldn't do it if I was you.
If down the road that replacement from Verizon is found out to contain 3rd party parts inside then your Apple warranty will be void and they will not touch it.
[doublepost=1488761720][/doublepost]
I would be fine with it, nothing you can do about it anyway
As long as they're all stock parts, no major wear, and turns on then I'll take it
[doublepost=1488761644][/doublepost]
Hi Applejuiced,

the device is going to be replaced, as the Verizon rep told OP,
should be fine
I dont trust what a random carrier rep told them. All they do is lie and make things up anyway.
But its his phone so its his decision in the end.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Not at all. I have many refurbished iPhones from Apple. They look brand new and I have never had any issues with the refurbished models. Even if you were to encounter any problems, Apple will easily switch out to another refurbish model if need be.

Reactions: Freakonomics101

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
Got it all figured out. Called Apple they told me when I get the phone to call them back and give them the serial number and they will be able to tell me everything about it.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Got it all figured out. Called Apple they told me when I get the phone to call them back and give them the serial number and they will be able to tell me everything about it.
After you get the iphone from verizon then they will tell you?
What's the point of that, even if they tell you its used?
lol Pointless.
I'd skip all that and get the device replaced via Apple either by visiting a store or doing it by mail.
But obviously you made up your mind.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
lol Pointless.
I'd skip all that and get the device replaced via Apple either by visiting a store or doing it by mail.
Agreed. With Verizon certified like new replacement devices they mail you out the replacement device, then you use the same packaging to mail your defective device back in. I know because I've done this twice with my Pixel.

Wouldn't the process be the same if going through Apple directly? I think the only difference is Apple will put a temporary hold on your credit card until they get the defective device back; whereas Verizon will not put a hold on your account.

All I know is that I would much rather deal with Apple. If you're not going to use Apple's customer service and just go through Verizon, then you're not taking advantage of one of the biggest reasons to own an iPhone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Applejuiced

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
the pool
Agreed. With Verizon certified like new replacement devices they mail you out the replacement device, then you use the same packaging to mail your defective device back in. I know because I've done this twice with my Pixel.

Wouldn't the process be the same if going through Apple directly? I think the only difference is Apple will put a temporary hold on your credit card until they get the defective device back; whereas Verizon will not put a hold on your account.

All I know is that I would much rather deal with Apple. If you're not going to use Apple's customer service and just go through Verizon, then you're not taking advantage of one of the biggest reasons to own an iPhone.
Apple will only put a hold on if you get one to use temporarily
If you get shipped a box and send yours off and wait to get one back, no hold, same with if you go to an Apple Store there wouldn't be a charge (obviously, lol)

Reactions: Applejuiced

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
lol Pointless.
They will tell me if it's a refurb from Apple or not.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
But it will be too late- you would be finding out after you already get the iPhone replaced by Verizon. What don't you understand?
What don't you understand? I can send the new one back. You obviously haven't ever dealt with a warranty through a carrier. They give you the choice of sending yours back or the new one they sent you. If you change your mind.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Apple will only put a hold on if you get one to use temporarily
If you get shipped a box and send yours off and wait to get one back, no hold, same with if you go to an Apple Store there wouldn't be a charge (obviously, lol)
Correct. Not everybody can go without a phone until Apple receives/processes the return and not everybody can have a $700+ hold on their card. This is where the Verizon replacement is better because they will send you the device without placing any sort of hold on your account. Still, I would rather deal with Apple.

What don't you understand? I can send the new one back. You obviously haven't ever dealt with a warranty through a carrier. They give you the choice of sending yours back or the new one they sent you. If you change your mind.
I actually did just this. I received a new device and it had the same issues as mine so I just sent the replacement device back to Verizon instead of my current one. Verizon doesn't care as long as they get a device back.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Didn't realize you like wasting your time. Do it your way- no use asking for insight if you know what you're going to do already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.