Refurb iPhone good?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brandonjr36, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Brandonjr36 macrumors 6502a

I have Verizon and my iPhone 7 has been messing up there wanting to send me a certified like new device anything wrong with a refurbished iPhone.

2. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Are you going through Verizon or Apple? If from Apple, refurbished iPhones come with a new battery and outer shell. I would have no problem accepting a refurbished iPhone from Apple directly.

3. Brandonjr36 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Verizon

4. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

I wouldn't recommend going through Verizon. Get a replacement through Apple.

5. Brandonjr36 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The guy from Verizon told me it's coming from Apple.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'd double check that.

Is Verizon itself replacing as the middleman for the Apple warranty or is your replacement courtesy of Verizon through Asurion/Asurant?

7. Brandonjr36 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Warranty. He told me that Apple doesn't allow them to touch there phones.

8. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

That's interesting. I was under the impression that Verizon certified like new devices were customer returns because they didn't like them or wanted something else. Then Verizon does their testing and uses them for replacements. I could be wrong but I couldn't find where they say they get the devices from the manufacturer here:
    https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/certified-like-new-replacements/

I've also read stories of Verizon sending people certified like new replacement devices that were older than their original purchase and Apple declined warranty repair.

Example: You purchased your iPhone in 11/16 but Verizon sends you a certified like new iPhone that was originally purchased in 9/16 so you go to Apple and have 2 less months of warranty. So at this point you are stuck with going through Verizon only.

In my opinion, just go through Apple. That is the best thing about having an iPhone; Apple support if anything goes wrong.

I have to go through Verizon for replacement devices for the Pixel I have, and I wish I had the option to go to Apple.

9. Brandonjr36 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I don't have an Apple Store around here. But he told me I had a good chance of getting a brand new iPhone since they don't replace many iPhone 7's, and I bought my iPhone on launch day September 16th

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    You have a full 1 year warranty from the manufacturer (Apple).
    Go to Apple and get the best service and the best replacement device.
    I dont trust something refurbished by a carrier or their 3rd party repair shops.

11. SoN1NjA, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017

SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

I would be fine with it, nothing you can do about it anyway
    As long as they're all stock parts, no major wear, and turns on then I'll take it
    --- Post Merged, Mar 5, 2017 ---
    Hi Applejuiced,

the device is going to be replaced by Apple Inc., as the Verizon rep told OP,
    should be fine

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's a bs lie.
    Many wireless carriers do their own refurbishment process or repackage returned phones and give them out as replacements.
    I wouldn't do it if I was you.
    If down the road that replacement from Verizon is found out to contain 3rd party parts inside then your Apple warranty will be void and they will not touch it.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 5, 2017 ---
    I dont trust what a random carrier rep told them. All they do is lie and make things up anyway.
    But its his phone so its his decision in the end.

13. aristobrat macrumors G5

Use Apple's online or telephone support and they can mail you a replacement. You don't have to go into a store.

14. SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

Yep, having a mate drop my 7 off at a FedEx center tomorrow
    or Twitter or Apple Support app :)

15. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Not at all. I have many refurbished iPhones from Apple. They look brand new and I have never had any issues with the refurbished models. Even if you were to encounter any problems, Apple will easily switch out to another refurbish model if need be.

16. Brandonjr36 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Got it all figured out. Called Apple they told me when I get the phone to call them back and give them the serial number and they will be able to tell me everything about it.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

After you get the iphone from verizon then they will tell you?
    What's the point of that, even if they tell you its used?
    lol Pointless.
    I'd skip all that and get the device replaced via Apple either by visiting a store or doing it by mail.
    But obviously you made up your mind.

18. timeconsumer, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017

timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Agreed. With Verizon certified like new replacement devices they mail you out the replacement device, then you use the same packaging to mail your defective device back in. I know because I've done this twice with my Pixel.

Wouldn't the process be the same if going through Apple directly? I think the only difference is Apple will put a temporary hold on your credit card until they get the defective device back; whereas Verizon will not put a hold on your account.

All I know is that I would much rather deal with Apple. If you're not going to use Apple's customer service and just go through Verizon, then you're not taking advantage of one of the biggest reasons to own an iPhone.

19. SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

Apple will only put a hold on if you get one to use temporarily
    If you get shipped a box and send yours off and wait to get one back, no hold, same with if you go to an Apple Store there wouldn't be a charge (obviously, lol)

20. Brandonjr36 thread starter macrumors 6502a

They will tell me if it's a refurb from Apple or not.

21. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

But it will be too late- you would be finding out after you already get the iPhone replaced by Verizon. What don't you understand?

22. Brandonjr36 thread starter macrumors 6502a

What don't you understand? I can send the new one back. You obviously haven't ever dealt with a warranty through a carrier. They give you the choice of sending yours back or the new one they sent you. If you change your mind.

23. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Correct. Not everybody can go without a phone until Apple receives/processes the return and not everybody can have a $700+ hold on their card. This is where the Verizon replacement is better because they will send you the device without placing any sort of hold on your account. Still, I would rather deal with Apple.

I actually did just this. I received a new device and it had the same issues as mine so I just sent the replacement device back to Verizon instead of my current one. Verizon doesn't care as long as they get a device back.

24. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I hope your iPhone is coming directly from Apple. Verizon does their own refurbishing (or contracts it) and I wouldn't trust them over Apple.

25. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

Didn't realize you like wasting your time. Do it your way- no use asking for insight if you know what you're going to do already.