Refurb maxed out 2015 or 2016 m5

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by slimeynick, Aug 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. slimeynick macrumors newbie

Apologies if done before.

I'm in a pickle.

I can pick up a fully specced 2015 rMB for £1070 off the refurb store, or buy a new 2016 rMB M5 for £1300.

Currently using a mid-2010 MBP, which I've had for six years, so either would be a nice bump up for me. The only intensive thing I use is Football Manager, which I understand works fine on the 2016 rMB.

Which one would be a better pick? Performance-wise, would the max spec 2015 be equivalent or slower to the 2016 M5?

I've got the money to buy either, but obviously £200+ is quite a difference. Alternatively, a refurb 256gb MBPr is a shade under £1000 at the moment. I don't need that much power, though of course it's never a bad thing to have that (and the ports are a bonus), but it's something I'm considering.

Another alternative is the baseline 2016 rMB for £1050.

I love the form of the new MBs and that's why they're my pick above the Pro.

2. bcaslis macrumors 68020

The 2016 M5 has a faster geekbench 3 score than the 2015 1.3GHz, faster SSD, and slightly longer battery life. I would go the 2016.

3. slimeynick thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick response.

I'm leaning towards the 2016, but my wallet is pulling me to the refurb!

4. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Is faster SSD and an hour longer battery worth 200£ for you?

5. slimeynick thread starter macrumors newbie

I've never had an SSD before, so I think compared to my 2010 MBP, last year's will feel plenty fast enough.

The battery life is a nice bonus but by no means essential. I fly long distance several times a year but there's almost always a power supply on board. I will use my rMB at home 95% of the time, so it can be plugged in any time.

My only gripes with the refurb are that it's used, slower and I'll always have that nagging sense that I've bought something out of date.

6. archi_130w1 macrumors member

archi_130w1

Never rip the apple refurbs. I am in your same situation... though I am still foolishly holding out for some kind of MBP update this year....

7. Salty Pirate macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

2016 m5

better cpu, better ssd, better graphics chip.....

8. slimeynick thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been waiting since last year for an MBP update too, but I've given up on it. While the mock-ups look amazing, I don't think they're worth holding out a few more months for.

If only the M5 was the base model at £1050, rather than the M3, I'd have no hesitation in buying.

9. mk313, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016

mk313 macrumors 6502

I came from an Early 2013 13" Retina Macbook Pro (highest processor, 512 SSD) & have noticed any difference between my 2015 12" with the 1.3 processor, but the 256 SSD. I don't do anything that is super taxing on the processor, so YMMV, but for my needs, the 2015 is fine. I do wish I had the larger hard drive, but it sounds like yours would come with that. Unless you do things that tac the processor, I think you'll be fine with the 2015. Apple insider did a comparison & in day to day usage, the two model years performed similarly. If the prices were closer, I'd probably buy the 2016, but if it were my only & I was in the same situation, I'd go with the 2015.

Also, Apple refurbs are hard to distinguish from new products. Generally the box is different, but the items itself it fully gone over & any defects fixed. I've purchased plenty of Apple refurbs over the years and never had any issue with them. I usually use the savings to buy apple care just in case, but I've never had to use it so far.

10. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

The question, or answers, you need are by what percent better is the CPD, SSD, Graphics Chip..

11. slimeynick thread starter macrumors newbie

Leaning more towards the MBPr now as there's an offer on at PC World where you can get 10% off, meaning a 128gb Pro is £900. Got the ports, got the power.

If I were to buy an m5 from there, it'd be £1170, which I'm happy to pay for, but there's no option of returning it if it doesn't power through Football Manager to my expectations. If that deal were on the Apple Store, I'd definitely go for it as I could test it out.

12. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

The performance delta between 2015 and a 16 is so small, unless you really run heavy applications - you will never feel the difference with common apps - word processing/ Netflix/ email etc. Given that, I would go for the newer model. If you are running heavy applications on the rMB that you will feel inadequate with the m5, then you probably ought to get a rMB, the real workhorse.

13. lite426, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016

lite426 macrumors regular

Go for the PC World deal M5, the graphics will be faster than the Broadwell 2015 which is what you want if you intend to play games like Football Manager. Then again, £1000 is a lot to spend just for a game. Is football manager really worth an extra £100-200 or so /the increased weight of MBPr?

14. slimeynick thread starter macrumors newbie

Probably not, which is why I think I'll get the Pro instead. It's £270 cheaper than the m5 and dramatically lighter than my 2010 MBP, somewhat negating the desire for a light rMB.

Interestingly, I did a little test in store on the base rMB yesterday. I opened all applications and it booted them up just fine with little lag. I could get the m3, but with no chance of returning it if it's not quite what I'm after, plus the need to buy an adapter, I think it might just be safer to go with the sensible choice of an MBPr with all the ports.

I want a laptop that'll last me another six years, and for that i need a Mac. I had a £600 HP before my Mac and it practically died in two years. I'm prepared to pay the high price for a Mac due to the reliability and durability alone - the OS is a great bonus.

15. geachy92 macrumors regular

If you want keep it for minimum of 5-6 years then definitely go for the Pro. I also live in UK, also have a mid 2010 MBP and also want the ability to play one or two light games in addition to a small and reliable laptop, so I know where you're coming from!

I trialled a m5 rMB from the Apple Store last month, absolutely loved the form factor and it is ridiculously portable, but it did stutter on one or two occasions on tasks like powering an external display whilst playing video. That put me off because if it struggles now imagine what it'll be like in 3 years time, let alone 6!

Now I'm waiting for the new Pro as I have the luxury of time on my side.