Refurb MBP impressions?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thomar2k1, Jan 28, 2010.

1. thomar2k1 macrumors newbie

So I'm going to bite the bullet and replace my now very underpowered 2007 MB with a MBP (I'm not interested in waiting for Arrandale). My big question is for anyone that has purchased a refurbished MBP from Apple, there's a sizable discount that makes it attractive, but I want to know if any of the community that has purchased refurb has seen abnormal failure rates or issues. Is the screen condition good (no scratches, etc), is the case in good condition (no dings, scratches, etc).

Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

good question...i would like to know also..seems that the site put alot of models up yesterday.

3. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

Apple refurb computers are a great way to go. I've owned several personally and have had very minimal issues with them over their lifespan. They always arrive in 100% mint condition, with absolutely no way to distinguish between a new & refurb unit. Also, the warranty is identical to a new computer purchased online/retail, so how can you really go wrong?

4. auero macrumors 65816

I've boughten maybe 2 or 3 refurb machines and they've always been great. The only difference is resale value may be different (if that matters) and it comes in a regular brown box (at least the ones I've always gotten). If I'm ever looking for a machine I go for a refurb first. With an educational discount, sometimes its not worth it necessarily but otherwise I'd only buy refurbished macs, they're good as new and you can still buy applecare for them. If you can wait for the newer models to come out, you might want to check an apple store as they usually have stock and sell it at an even lower price than what Apple usually sells and it won't be refurbished.

I've also heard that after a refresh, if you order a 'refurb' it comes in the original box because its over stock.

5. PAC88 macrumors 6502

I had a good experience months back when I ordered a refurb 17" non-unibody. The lcd had pinkish looking smudges coming from the inside of the screen that looked like fingerprints. I'm not sure how it passed quality control because it was very obvious. The good news is that when I took it in to the local apple store, they agreed something was wrong. The guy was happy to order an entire top case/lcd for me to replace the old one but in the end I ultimately decided to return it (after reading about the 8600gt cards). Looking back now though, I wish I kept that one. Cosmetically, the computer appeared new and it ran perfect from the start, all the hinges were tight. Since they have good customer service, I wouldn't have a problem trying it again.

6. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Personally, idk about laptops, but i own a refurb iPod touch and iPhone (both warranty replacements) and they came in absolutely perfect condition and so far have worked better than the original ones.

7. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I got a refurbished ACD recently and it arrived in an absolutely mint condition. I would have never known it is a refurb if no for the cardboard box without Apple graphics on it. It was a great way to save $300!

8. mesq macrumors member

Sorry but out of all the obvious mistakes on this forum I just had to comment on this. What the hell does boughten mean?

9. TeddyLeroux macrumors member

Do you guys anticpate the refurb mbp's dropping in price after the refresh... for example... i want to get a 2.66 15 inch but i only want to pay 1499 for it... is that realistic for after the refresh:apple::apple::apple::apple:

10. maghemi macrumors 6502

Can't comment specifically on MBP's

But I've bought a number of machines through the refurb store. All have been fantastic, bar one which came broken. It was promptly repaired and now you could not tell the difference between it and a new machine.

No.

No the prices won't drop. Apple are weird like that. They set a price and that's it. I've seen regularly on the refurb store, older and lower spec machines priced higher than their newer and higher spec counter-parts.

So don't hold your breath for refurb price drops.

11. ae3265 macrumors member

Late last year I bought a refurb 17" MBP and am very pleased. The condition externally was flawless and looked brand new. The glass on the screen did work it's way loose and the display was replaced with no issues (once they ordered it, it was ready for me to pick up within about 2 hours).

I would go refurb again, the discount allowed me to get higher specs for the budget I had allocated.

12. Kenrik macrumors 6502

I bought a Refurb Macbook Pro 2.4 Ghz with a 512MB 8600 GT in November 2008.

Paid $1349 and it came in perfect condition. Still works perfect.

Yes they do lower prices even more when new products are about to come out. you just need to pay attention and check daily.

13. findwaldonow macrumors member

still a customer

The important thing to remember is that they still treat you like a normal customer when you buy refurbished products. So, if the problems you mentioned do arise...or you end up making a return on your own, it'll work the same way as if you bought a new product. I know this sounds trivial but overall it's one of the best and most reassuring parts of the experience to know you aren't going to be treated like someone who got a bargain out of the back of the truck. I had two messed up refurbished macbook pros before getting mine upgraded from a 2.53 to a 2.66(also refurb) free of charge because of the hassle and running out of the model I ordered. So, just like normal products things can arrive screwed up but in the end Apple tries to make sure you're perfectly satisfied.

14. GlynJones macrumors 6502

I have bought 3 refurbs in the past and all three had either scratches or dings.

Refurb 1. PowerMac had one of the footings badly dented and would not stand up straight without something proping it up. Sold to a friend at the price I paid as I couldn't put up with it.

Refurb 2. BlackBook had lots of scratches on the case and well worn trackpad. Sent back as the condition was not up to standard.

Refurb 3. Macbook Pro arrived DOA with pinched superdrive slot and big scratch on the rear display housing. I'd waited ages for these to appear on the refurb site and saved £500 on it as it was pre unibody. Apple fixed the DOA part and agreed to replace the lower case and replace the entire screen. Looks brand new now but didn't at the time.

These were UK refurbs so it may be different in other countries. My experiences haven't been great but that's what you get for playing the "Refurb Lottery".

They still are very good value but sometimes do have cosmetic problems.

Glyn.

15. umiwangu macrumors 6502

Duh. Past tense of 'bought'!

;-)

16. umiwangu macrumors 6502

It must be different in the UK. I've had two refurbs and they were 99% perfect. The only issue I've had with refurbs was my first one, an '06 MB. It had a mis-aligned combo drive, most likely because of shipping (I had it carried overseas).

I just got a 13" MBP refurb and it looks perfect. No scratches, dings, screen is perfect. I'm pretty sure they give you new outsides and just keep the inside the same.

BTW, any relation to Sir Glyn Jones?

17. bluefox9er macrumors regular

I wouldn't say sizeable discount at all..often less than 10%. I'd rather buy a brand new unit.

18. umiwangu macrumors 6502

Have you looked at the refurb page recently? I would call $200 off $1,200 pretty sizable. http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac (no 13" MBP's there now...)

Personally, I think the education discount is a waste (although that laptop + touch deal is pretty sweet, when it's active).

19. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

I've always been a "refurb guy" and have purchased 5 refurb MBP's over the years.

The last one I got was my first disappointment. The keyboard had some rubbing on it and the fan was making noise.

It took 2 AppleCare trips for the computer to get fixed correctly. All is well now, but I was irritated that it felt like Apple was trying to keep shipping out the same broken fan computer until they found a customer who simply didn't complain about it.

It won't stop me from trying refurb again, but I thought I'd mention that it's not always as perfect as some would have you believe.

20. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

A refurbed bad boy is just as baad as a brand new one; you'll be fine.

21. umiwangu macrumors 6502

Maybe I'm new around here, but what's up with calling a laptop a "bad boy"?

22. seanconn macrumors member

prices in the refurb store haven't really gone down at all.

I bought mine back in 2007 late, got a 2.33 Core 2 mbp, with a x1600 ati card.

for 2089. Immediately after like a month, I could have got a way better price.

Sometimes there are just BAD time to buy from the refurb store, like right now might be one of those times for a 15" mb by the looks of the prices.

But if you want a 17" MBP, or a MAcPro, now is a great time.

23. umiwangu macrumors 6502

Are you saying it's a bad time because there might be new 15" MBP intro'd soon or because of the price? AFAIK, I've never seen the prices change because of availability. The only reason for the features to change is the features of that particular model. The low end 13" will always be listed as $999, for example.

24. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

:eek: You're better off not asking.

25. umiwangu macrumors 6502

That bad, eh?