Refurb Prices Drop?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eXoBrute, Jan 25, 2009.

1. eXoBrute macrumors regular

Alright well in May im either getting a Macbook or a Macbook Pro. Im getting this for my 16th birthday so heres some questions i have.

1. By May will it still be a good time to buy or should i try and hold off on my birthday present?

2. I want a Macbook pro but cannot afford a brand new 1 so i was deciding on a Macbook 2.0Ghz so should i get a brand new 2.0Ghz Macbook, or a Refurb 2.4Ghz Macbook Pro?

Now i no all of you will be like "Get the macbook pro refurb" , i really want to do that but will the price drop for a refurb Macbook pro by May? Because my parents are willing to spend $1300 (plus tax) for a laptop. Now i could possibly give them $200 of my own money and they could buy a refurb but that would be $1500 and the Macbook Pro refurb right now is $1699 plus tax is about $1800 total. That would mean i would have to give $500 of my money. So will the prices drop?

Also is it really worth the $500 more? i am a 16 year old boy i do occasional gaming but mainly surf the web, im sure id do more gaming if i had a better computer but since i dont right now idk. So is it worth it thought?

Thanks guys

2. Haemorrage macrumors member

If you want something for gaming, I'd suggest getting the iMac.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You might also want to check out MacMall. They have the base MacBook Pro, you most likely wouldn't notice the speed difference and it will save you a couple hundred.

4. desiringGod macrumors regular

Just keep watching the refurb site.

I have seen some MBPs for 1349 and 1499 a few days the last few weeks.

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Best value for money right now is the updated white MacBook with the improved graphics card. Upgrade the hard drive to 320 GB yourself, upgrade the RAM if having not enough RAM causes any slowdowns, and buy an external hard drive for Time Machine backups. If you do a lot of work at your desk, 24 inch monitors are quite cheap as well.

Refurb price drops: Not very likely. Apple's price is always about 15% below current value of that model; so a current model refurbished is 15% below retail price, last years model could be 35% below retail price (because Apple estimates its current value is 20% below its retail price from last year). You would only get a cheaper price if somehow a very old model were to turn up, but that is unlikely to happen.

6. Blakely028 macrumors regular

Blakely028

You could take a look at the newly updated white MacBook if you don't mind about the trackpad and display, for $999/£719...

Just remembered, if youre at school or college you might be able to get Edu discount :)

7. eXoBrute thread starter macrumors regular

Well i want the new unibody style which is why i was deciding between the macbook and macbook pro. I am a student but the student discount isnt nearly as good as a refurb discount.

desiringGod did u see the unibody macbook pros? cause ive only seen the unibody MBP's to $1699 in refurb store.

I want a laptop for sure because portability but i just cant afford the macbook pro brand new. Like i said i dont do much gaming because i have an xbox but i do occasional gaming. I also like to use photoshop i just cant use it because my PC now is a hog.

8. Doju macrumors 68000

Refurb 2.4 Alu will be more than enough. The graphics are incredible for it, light gaming will do that and much much more. Go for it. :D

MBP is too big.