Refurb Store

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dgdosen, Feb 23, 2010.

1. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

One can easily assume that the return rate/refurbish rate for a laptop would be correlated with their sales rates, right?

If so, then one would expect the best selling laptop, the 13" MBP (per Apple's words), would be in the Apple refurb store more than other models. Instead, we see a bunch of Macbook Airs and 17" Macbook Pros, and no 13" or 15" MBPs.

To me, that helps reinforce my belief/understanding that Apple is just using the refurb store to liquidate stock of some of their higher priced models. This is an example of Apple just gaming it's customers from an economic perspective. If you're in the market for an Air or 17" MBP, the retail store will keep those prices high because people in that market will be willing to pay that price, and wants to extract the maximum price from those customers.

But other customers just won't pay those high prices, and Apple wants their cash. That's why Apple has them in loads and on rather consistent basis in the refurb store. They know some people just won't spend retail on the higher priced models. Apple can attract those in their refurb store and therefore help achieve a bit of bazaar pricing (variable pricing) for their goods...

That's just my way of saying that you should buy from the refurb store when possible, leave the fancy packaging and pay no heed to any stigma that you're getting an inferior product...

2. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Actually, those models do show up, they just get snatched up really quickly. Nothing under $1000 stays in the refurb store for more than a couple hours. All those MBAs and larger MBPs are just the items that they can't sell at all.

3. phrint macrumors 6502

The refurb store's inventory has definitely changed since a few months ago. I was spying a few 13 and 15 MBP's and now they are nowhere to be found. I do agree that they don't last long but something has seemed to change as of late.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's the first mistake. Refurb inventory fluctuates moment-to-moment. There might be a large order that gets returned for financial reasons. There might be high demand for a particular model, so it rarely appears in the refurb store for more than a few minutes before someone buys it. There might be problems with a particular model, so many are returned. You can't accurately assume anything from the availability of particular models.

5. poblack macrumors regular

I would almost agree with OP but I have been tracking the refurb store for quite some time and compared them with the number of units being sold on ebay or craigslist. I concluded that people are simply keeping their unibody 13" and 15" MBP's. If you go to ebay or craigslist right now you will see a low number of units that are used.

Like someone said earlier, anything under $1300 gets gone

6. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

I have no doubt that when they have new inventory that isnt selling at full price, rather then cut the price and give up the price point forever Apple simply moves the stock in the refurb store at a discount.

The 13" macs, the Mini and the antiglare 15" MBP models move very very fast on the refurb store. I am in the market for a antiglare 15" base model so I am checking the refurb store about once an hour when I am in front of a pc or my phone. Things come and go constantly throughout the day. I would love to see a working RSS feed or SMS alert system whereby one could be notified when a particular feature or model was available. I might even pay some token amount for it.

7. poblack macrumors regular

Do apple stores stock refurb's or open box items?

8. tmash macrumors newbie

http://www.refurb.me

They have an RSS feed you can subscribe to (check the right hand side) as well as SMS service.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, you have to order refurbs online.

10. dgdosen thread starter macrumors 65816

dgdosen

Sweet link! I had never seen that before.

11. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

Thank you! :cool:

12. Jazojas12 macrumors regular

Yeah they get snagged really fast. My uncle was looking to get a Mac Mini and he refreshed the site and saw one showed up. He called me and by the time I loaded the store it was already gone and we're talking less than 5 minutes.

13. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

The main store is also having shenanigans. When you click through selecting a 13/15/17" MacBook Pro, the shipping date says 1-3 days, while on the front page, it says within 24 hours.

14. sevadox macrumors newbie

I too am in the market for a refurb 15" antiglare... BATTLE TO THE DEATH.

15. Fasailmac macrumors member

refurb antiglares are very rare, over the past 6 weeks of monitoring the refurb store, ive seen it only once.

16. tmash macrumors newbie

Join the club!:D:p

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are 3 there right now:
    Picture 1.JPG

18. poblack macrumors regular

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes

20. Fasailmac macrumors member

those are 17 inchers, im referring to the 15 inch

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There have been 2 15" anti-glare refurbs in the past 8 days.

22. Fasailmac macrumors member

Refurb Store

does anyone have any idea when the refurb store will be replenished. Ive been waiting for 5 days, nothing but mac minis and imacs, looking for a 15 inch pro

23. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

No set time, they just post them when available
    Kinda like visiting a used car lot
    They don't make the new ones, they refurb the ones they get

24. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

theres MBP on the english refurb store, an the american, where are you looking?

25. banya95 macrumors member

Food for thought...

I have been looking for a 15 inch MacBook Pro for the last little while (in the refurb store) and I haven't seen a 15 inch since last Thursday, only 17 inch.