All iPads Refurb/used iPad 4 or new iPad Air or rMini??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bigpoppamac31, Nov 18, 2013.

1. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

Okay so I'm looking to get my first iPad and money is kind of tight. I'm just wondering what the benefits are of getting the iPad Air over the iPad 4 (previous gen)? I know the big difference is the 64bit chip so maybe that would "future proof" me a little. But what other major differences would their be? For those who had a 4th gen iPad and upgraded to the Air what was your reason? Also would it be beneficial to get the Cellular model? To my understanding cellular is month to month with no contract. I would just like to be able to use my iPad anywhere without having to be near a "hot spot". Also I do like the Retina iPad mini but it seems like this whole colour issue is a big deal. I did notice when testing out the rMini that it wasn't as bright as the Air. Any thoughts?

2. cxc273 macrumors regular

If money is your main consideration, the iPad 4 is still a very capable machine. Obviously it doesn't have the 64-bit chip or the size/weight reduction of the Air, but will run apps just fine.

With the cellular model, you can either go month-to-month or do a shared data plan with your smartphone, assuming you've got one. Although wireless is usually pretty easy, I've found the cellular version has come in handy at places like airports and hotels where you are sometimes charged for wi-fi. It just depends on whether you believe the $130 premium is worth it.

Regarding the color issue with the Mini Retina, frankly, I think the issue's a bit overblown.

Really, at the end, you just need to do whatever makes you happiest.

3. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Airports or hotels charge a $130 premium?? That's quite a lot. Do you think it makes sense to get one with more then 16GB? My iPhone 4S is 16GB and I have about 3GB free. Plus I wouldn't be putting music on my iPad so that would free up another 3GB (the amount of music on my iPhone now). 16GB might do me just fine. But with an iPad I may want a lot more Apps cause the bigger screen space makes more sense with certain apps.

4. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

The $130 they are referring to is the cost of the LTE version vs wifi only.

I have a 16gb air, don't keep any music, movies, TV shows or anything on it. Pretty much apps only. The only time I run out of space is if I have a ton of gaming apps on it, they are really the only apps that take up a large amount of space. So if you plan on gaming a lot, 32gb may be a better choice, otherwise you can sneak by with 16gb.

5. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

official apple refurb is a safe bet, or best buy open box (if they run the % off ipads again). For the air, Microcenter or pricematching to target isn't a bad deal for the latest and greatest. The only way to get a "deal" on the rMini now is an open box at BB, for $20 off.

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If you aren't bothered by the weight and bezels of the iPad 4 I would choose that. Its very powerful and you can find a good deal on them right now. Its going to be a couple of years before it feels long in the tooth so its still a pretty smart purchase if you want to save some money; I would get a slightly used one.

As far as the Mini 2? Get it if you want a small tablet.

7. cxc273 macrumors regular

Regardless of whether you choose an iPad 4, Air, or Mini with Retina, I would advise going with a minimum of 32 GB of storage. Some apps, especially games, take up considerable space. Infinity Blade III takes up 1.56 GB alone.

Obviously, not every app requires copious storage like Infinity Blade, but two or three such games on a 16 GB iPad suddenly makes things feel very crowded.

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I would say 64bit isn't really as much as a feature as a bullet point on market material. It has zero real effect for user right now or probably even a year from now.

The big differences between the Air and the 4 are:

1) Air is immensely more "holdable" w/ it's lower weight and smaller body

2) Air is appreciably faster (http://barefeats.com/ipadair.html)

3) Air has better WiFi reception and camera

As for which one works for you, I'd recommend playing with a 4 and Air yourself.

9. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

If money is tight you always get better deals on previous versions. It's nice to have the newest models but in my opinion it's not worth getting if it means putting myself in a financially uncomfortable situation.

10. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Okay. Thanks for all your replies. I'm still undecided. Truth be told it is a tough choice. It's gotta last me a few years.

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

A used 4, being less expensive, doesn't have to last you as long as a new Air for you to feel you've gotten your money's worth.

12. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah I guess that's true. Worse case scenario I could just re-sell it.

13. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Tight on budget? Oh gawd that is easy...Go and get an iPad Mini... play with it for a while and save money for 1 or two months then sell it on eBay. Once it is sold you have big money and saved money to buy an iPad Air. :apple:

14. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah I guess. I do really like the rMini in terms of size. As for eBay. I never sold or bought anything on eBay cause I don't have (nor want) PayPal. But if I did end up selling it later I'd just use Kijiji.

15. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Some hotels charge $15-25 per day for wi-fi. For a 1- to 2-week stay, I'd say yes, you'll be able to break even at least.

16. davtomcol macrumors newbie

I'm partial to the iPad 4 refurb because that's what I just did. I had a mini 1, and wanted a retina display and more horsepower.

The difference came down to being able to get more memory and the accessories (I picked up a Logitech case keyboard for $20 on Amazon, and an Apple SmartCase for $10).

17. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The depreciation hit has already happened.

18. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

So it would not be a good idea??

19. darngooddesign macrumors G3

It would because the initial depreciation has already happened. The original owner couldn't sell it for close to what he paid, but you could.

20. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

So if I bought a used iPad 4 I could potentially sell it for more then I bought it for??

21. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

You'll sell it for less than you paid but the loss wouldn't be as big as it would have been if you had bought brand new.

22. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hmm okay. Makes sense. One thing that has been mentioned many times is that Apple charges a premium for each higher level of storage compared to other tablets like the Google Nexus 7. The base iPad rMini is already almost twice the price of the Nexus 7. Then to get more storage or have cellular cost hundreds more. You could end up buying two or three Nexus 7's for the price of one iPad. For someone like me on a budget that's a lot of money.

23. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Yes, but if you buy a used iPad 4, it will cost far less to get those things.

24. Coomb macrumors member

I'm glad I'm not alone in this debate! I wish I could have them side by side to tinker with. Or at least watch a YouTube video of such a comparison.

25. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

There are YouTube videos of such comparisons.