Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r00

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
Just a quick update:

My iPhone finally arrived at 4:30PM with no problems. I'm now rocking a 2.2 Unlocked 4GB iPhone. Thanks Apple! :apple:

seungboy

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2008
that sucks..

Called fedex at 2, was told the plane got delayed so it didn't arrive at my local airport until 10:20.... but they assured my, they had extra people working today any my package would be delivered today.

Called at 3 o'clock...and was told I would be able to pick up the package after 4 o'clock on the other end of town, and was left a direct contact number for the pickup area to call after 4 to make sure I can pick it up.

Called the number at 4 o'clock, and was told my package wasn't there....its been sitting at the airport since 10:20am, and nothing is gonna happen to it until tomorrow. Was told to call back the main fedex number.

Called back the main number, and was told they have no idea why I would be told my package would be delivered...nor why I was told I would be able to pick it up (and couldn't answer why my package has been sitting in one spot since 10:20am.) They then informed me, they are on a "alternate" schedule tomorrow...and its possible my package WON'T even get delivered tomorrow, and they are closed thursday.

....... so much for 3 christmas gifts.

I know how you feel. FedEx told me the same thing. I ended up going down to fedex in one of the worst road conditions and waited over an hour to pick them up. I guess my gf is getting a christmas gift after all. :)

Hope you get yours tomorrow!

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Just a quick update:

My iPhone finally arrived at 4:30PM with no problems. I'm now rocking a 2.2 Unlocked 4GB iPhone. Thanks Apple! :apple:

Hmm, when you say "unlocked" does that mean you could use your iPhone with any carrier freely? (without those films for the sim)

I should have got one of these then >_>

jmcgarrell

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2008
Boston/Beverly, MA
My little update from my last call to fedex this morning...as its almost 9 am, and my package hasnt even made it to the distribution center to be put on a truck. Its still in East Boston (Logan Airport), and has been there for 23 hours now.

Rep >> Thank you for calling fedex etc...etc...

Me >> This is my 5th time calling, I want a update on my shipment I was supposed to receive at 10:30 am yesterday morning. My tracking number is ####

Rep >> Sir, I see your package is currently in East Boston, MA at our sorting center.

Me >> Yes, and it has been there for 22 hours... so much for overnight shipping?

Rep >> Well Sir, the Boston area is currently expierencing severe weather issues currently. We cannot give a ETA on when your package will arrive, but it will not be there today.

Me >> WEATHER? *Looks out my window, and see's nothing but sun and clouds*

*Face Palm*

Me >> Supervisor please.

Anyways, I thought it was funny..... but ya, they are sticking to their sever weather excuse as to why I am not receiving my package today. Gotta love fedex!

Anyone have advice on what I could do to get the package? I was already told I cannot pick it up from east boston at "the ramp" because they don't allow it.

imac9556

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
They allowed you to order that many?

BTW, I think they're 2.1 - I tried Quickpwn 2.2 and it said it was an incorrect firmware version...

With Christmas, I don't have much time to fool around with it - but will post some pics later at least.

WHAT A COOL DEAL!

But, sort of explains Apple wanting to sell off their spare stock - iPhone Nano anyone? ;)

Thankfully, they allowed me to order 3 in 2 separate orders. I missed the Fedex truck yesterday, so I have to go and pick it up on the 26th. Thanks OP and fatwallet for the great deal
merry Christmas guys
-Paul

moniquetx

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2008
Dallas, TX
Just a quick update:

Congrats! They look like new. By the way my serial number was 840, which means manufactured (or refurbished) sometime in October of 2008. I can confirm they also come with 2.0.2.

Thanks Apple! :apple:

Crown

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2008
I received my 3 iphones today. I am planning on giving 2 of the 3 away as gifts, and keeping one for myself. Everything In the box was brand new including the dock and the power adapter. The fit and finish on this phone is better than the first iphone I owned. (My first iphone I dropped in a lake, and the touchscreen stopped working) There are zero signs that this is a "refurbished" product. I am very very happy. A big THANK YOU to gkarris for alerting us to this great deal!!!:D

Serial number is 833

Hing

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
My guess is AT&T is not allowing Apple to sale the iphone without contract. what do you guys think?

TheMBC

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2008
On all the AT&T links it says "Apple requires a 2-year contract." So... IDK. But yeah you're probably right.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
^^^

Thanks for the link.

Just to clarify...

The 1st generation iPhones do "require" a 2-year contract to sign up with AT&T, but ACTIVATION is done at home through iTunes, since these phones are NOT subsidized.

Current AT&T owners can just buy the phone, and port their number over, whether or not they are eligible for a subsidy.

If you take it home to unlock, there goes your warranty. But, since it's not subsidized, what you do with it when you leave the store is your business... ;)

The 3G phones, on the other hand, must leave the store ACTIVATED, subsidized or not. Hence, buying a refurb 3G through AT&T requires a contract/plan.

Just clarifying in case this deal shows up again, or other 1st generation iPhones become available at the Apple Store.

Keep your eye out for more 1st gen refurbs. I would imagine more may show up when the iPhone Nano is released... :D

moniquetx

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2008
Dallas, TX
^^^

Thanks for the link.

Just to clarify...

The 1st generation iPhones do "require" a 2-year contract to sign up with AT&T, but ACTIVATION is done at home through iTunes, since these phones are NOT subsidized.

Current AT&T owners can just buy the phone, and port their number over, whether or not they are eligible for a subsidy.

If you take it home to unlock, there goes your warranty. But, since it's not subsidized, what you do with it when you leave the store is your busines... ;)

The 3G phones, on the other hand, must leave the store ACTIVATED, subsidized or not. Hence, buying a refurb 3G through AT&T requires a contract/plan.

Just clarifying in case this deal shows up again, or other 1st generation iPhones become available at the Apple Store.

Keep your eye out for more 1st gen refurbs. I would imagine more may show up when the iPhone Nano is released... :D

I could not have said it better myself. They may come up again but my guess is they won't, since an iPhone Nano will never materialize :)

hardliner

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2006
Old Europe
Still have mine here. and bought a new headset from a premium reseller. Looks just great. I love my iPhone 4GB.

I would buy one, but do live in EuroLand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.