Refurbed iPhones in right now

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPegboy, Feb 19, 2008.

1. iPegboy macrumors regular

FYI: I know there are people who have talked about getting refurbed iPhones, and when they are etc..

They are in right now, 8GB for $349.

2. aneftp macrumors 68040

$349 for refurbished is not worth the price. $299 would sell. Frankly for a refurbished phone, it should be a lot off. You do not know what you are getting. Maybe, just buyers remorse, maybe something is wrong with the phone. The battery is the most important factor and since you cannot replace the battery yourself, you are taking too many risks for $50 off retail.

On ATT premiere website, they are selling refurbished ATT Tilt's for $150 (without rebates) (the regular price for a brand new Tilt before rebates is $400) refurbished BB Curves (8310 are only $99) Regular price before rebates is $200.....you guys get my drift. I would not touch a refurbished iphone for $349.....an I was one who brought the iPhone for $600 on the first day.

3. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Apple's refubs are really good quality, and it comes with the same warranty ... i don't see why you wouldn't get it..

4. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Yup, saw those this morning. Haven't seen them too much lately and frankly agree with the previous poster's comments. $349 is too much money; I would pay the extra $50 for the nice black box and brand newness of the iPhone itself (if I already didn't own one).

5. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

Clearly you are unaware of Apple's fantastic refurbishment quality. I've never bought an refub iPhone, but I have bought other Apple refurbs, and they are indistinguisable from brand new. I know that a lot of others on these boards feel that Apple refurbs are in better quality than their new counterparts.

6. kdawg macrumors regular

kdawg

I am wondering if it is better to wait for the rumored price drop. Aside from my first mac product, I buy refurbished and love em. Last friday I saw used iphones go on ebay for $350. Mind you they were all scratched up from use.

7. TouchPodium.com macrumors newbie

Don't think it's worth it, personally, but thanks for sharing none-the-less. :)

8. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Ive checked for these nearly every day for months. I bought 2 back in late August (a 4gb and an 8gb) and was looking for another one. Havent seen any refurbs from then until today.

$50 saved is $50 saved to me. I could care less about the package it comes in or the "newness factor" or "new smell" (yes, Ive seen ppl here mention the "smell" when talking about new vs refurb)

Ive bought plenty of refurbed Apple products and cant tell them apart from new aside from the box it comes it. IDK about you guys, but I personally dont sit around and stare at the box.

Anywho, picked up another $349.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

While there may be no difference, saving $50 will cost you the 90 day purchase protection plan and you'll lose the extra 1 year warranty, as AmEx doesn't cover refurbs.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Never bought an iPhone, but I've bought refurbed iPods and Macs.

They're better quality, pure and simple. When you buy a new item, it's just come off the factory line. Is it ok? Maybe...probably...who knows?

With a refurb you know it was fixed up and checked out by an actual person. They had to check it out and make sure it works before sending it out. Not every factory item gets that level of attention.

I've gotten defective products right out of the box before. They were always new items. I've never had a problem with a refurb. (I wanted an Intel iMac when it was newly out and couldn't wait for refurbs...got a defective video card that put lines all down the screen and had to exchange it.)

So, a hand-checked item for $50 less...? Why not?

And why would anyone say it would have to be cheaper for them to consider it? Enjoy your $50 iPhone box.

11. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

but it still has the exact same Apple warranty ....

12. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I just checked and it looks like they are sold out. I guess enough people thought that it was a good enough deal.

13. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Not everyone buys with Amex.

14. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I have had tons of issues with refurb macs. I buy only new now......

15. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

And buying new guarantees you a defect-free unit? Like Ive said before, where do you think those refurbs come from? New product that had an issue.

16. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

well. most of the time ... but companies have been known to offer Refurbs and actually give you new products ...

17. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

No but gets me no marks and a less chance of dead pixs....

18. wizard macrumors 68040

Plus who's to say that these are actually refurb. Apple might be getting rid of the 8GB model to support the move to 16GB in the base model. $50 off might be a better deal for Apple relative to $100 off that has been thrown about.

Dave

19. kdawg macrumors regular

kdawg

Well,
    Not much of a chance to get one now. Offer is gone. SOOO glad i decided to take the plunge and purchase this am.... I have had lots of luck with refurbished apple stuff. Besides, a product doesn't have to be "used" to be sold as refurbished. If someone cracks the box open, that product cannot be sold as new.

Also as many pointed out here a refurbished product must go through a battery of test before it can be sold as refurbished. Will keep you posted on my satisfaction.

20. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

You get a confirmation email yet? I ordered about 1pm EST today and still nothing. Then I checked about 2hr later and they are gone. I HOPE that as of my order they still had them in stock.

BTW, whoever said you have better chance of getting an iphone with no dead pixels if you buy new should go back about 6 months in this forum and take a look around. Ive bought, lets see, at least 10 apple refurb products and there were no "marks" on them. Im not here to argue, just trying to clear up the misconception alot of ppl have that refurbed Apple products are as bad as something youd find at a scratch and dent/demo sell somewhere.

21. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's beside the point. Saving $50 on a refurb gets you a 1 year warranty vs. 2 years if you purchase new with a CC that doubles the warranty.

True, and those same people start pissed off at Apple threads complaining that their screens cracked after having the phone for 2 weeks with no recourse other than shelling out $$$ to replace their screens ;)

22. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

If someone's screen cracks after 2 weeks I say they should have taken better care of it.

23. kdawg macrumors regular

kdawg

I ordered about an hour before you.... Still hasn't shipped and no email confirmation. was supposed to go out yesterday or today.... Anyone know where the refurbs come from?

24. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Yeah I'd second that. 2 Dead PowerMacs in a row and 3 dead Macbook Pros more recently. Other people have great experiences with refurbs but I avoid now.

25. hockeysc23 macrumors regular

I also agree. Apple's refurbs are great. Of course people always want a steal but my brother and I purchased my dad a refurbed 4 gig and it was great in quality and performance.