Refurbised iPhone 6 already ?

heartnsoul45

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
I exchanged my iPhone 6 because of two specks on the front camera
They gave me a brand new sealed box. When I restored from icloud back up it asked for a different Apple ID I hit cancel then a different Apple ID popped up finally mine came up but now I'm thinking if this "new" exchange is a refurbished one. I also noticed that the first iPhone 6 I got had serial number starting with F17NC******* the replacement starts with DNPNC*******
How can I find out if it's refurbised or used or what's going on?

Thanks

heartnsoul45

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
Thanks guys but what's the deal with the different Apple IDS and serial numbers ?

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Why do people hate refurbs from apple? They carry the same warranty and are pristine.

I have bought refurb apple products in the past....wouldn't know they weren't brand new.

newone757

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
Thanks guys but what's the deal with the different Apple IDS and serial numbers ?
Its could be because you have pirated music/books/something else that is tied to other people's iTunes.

At least when this happened to me before that's what it was

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Why are "some" so defensive about Apple refurbs?
I'm not, just curious. I wouldn't want a refurb this early in the game either...but its a constant thing of worry for people on here, even six months into the release cycle. Its simple curiosity.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
There is no chance that any replacement 6/6+ are refurbished at this point.
No chance? I don't know about that. A small chance could exist.

OP: Is it possible you have music purchased by another person you know in your iTunes library? That happened to me before and in order to transfer it to my phone and/or play it, I needed his password.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
I exchanged my iPhone 6 because of two specks on the front camera
They gave me a brand new sealed box. When I restored from icloud back up it asked for a different Apple ID I hit cancel then a different Apple ID popped up finally mine came up but now I'm thinking if this "new" exchange is a refurbished one. I also noticed that the first iPhone 6 I got had serial number starting with F17NC******* the replacement starts with DNPNC*******
How can I find out if it's refurbised or used or what's going on?

Thanks
Maybe your phone was used for QA testing at the Foxconn factory

Ram65

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2014
That's why I wait at 2months after an iPhone release too many problems with the first couple batches

munakib

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2011
Why do people hate refurbs from apple? They carry the same warranty and are pristine.

I have bought refurb apple products in the past....wouldn't know they weren't brand new.
It carries same warranty but based on a few products I bought/exchanged from Apple there is always some fault which Apple's Quality Control will overlook, interlacing on iphones & displays/poorer LG screens on macbook airs instead of Samsung/Deadpixels on imacs & displays. I have learned never to buy refurb from Apple because there is a chance that the person before who returned the product to Apple noticed those small/annoying issues which the company ignores, landing them in hands of uneducated customers.

Once when I went back with the replacement to AppleStore saying I was not happy with the LG screen on the replacement macbook air they gave me as I originally had the Samsung (more vivid/no interlacing), they said its within "Apple's Quality" requirements and so I should live with it.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
It carries same warranty but based on a few products I bought/exchanged from Apple there is always some fault which Apple's Quality Control will overlook, interlacing on iphones & displays/lg screens on macbook airs/single deadpixel on imacs & displays. I have learned never to buy refurb from Apple, because there is a chance that the person before who returned the product to Apple noticed those small/annoying issues which the company will ignore landing them in hands of uneducated customers.
Touche'

I can understand that.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
I had a refurb that seemed to have some minor cosmetic issues I wouldn't have expected on a brand new device. It worked great, but I think there may be more of a chance for cosmetic issues because they are handled differently. Just a theory.

Starrbuck

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
A lot of times it can show you a different email due to the apps being pirated or music being pirated.
Not necessarily "pirated" but from another account, and your device needs authorization from that account. You're allowed 5 devices simultaneously.

johnparjr

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Earth
It carries same warranty but based on a few products I bought/exchanged from Apple there is always some fault which Apple's Quality Control will overlook, interlacing on iphones & displays/poorer LG screens on macbook airs instead of Samsung/Deadpixels on imacs & displays. I have learned never to buy refurb from Apple because there is a chance that the person before who returned the product to Apple noticed those small/annoying issues which the company ignores, landing them in hands of uneducated customers.

Once when I went back with the replacement to AppleStore saying I was not happy with the LG screen on the replacement macbook air they gave me as I originally had the Samsung (more vivid/no interlacing), they said its within "Apple's Quality" requirements and so I should live with it.

This is not true at all

erzhik

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2010

I got a refurbished 5 from apple twice and both times screen was coming off. literally.

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
OP, You'll want to read this post

First, you can plug the serial No. into this site to get more info about them:

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

Secondly, I just got a replacement device. My pre-ordered, launch day phone has a serial number starting DNPN... My replacement has a serial number starting F17N. So it sounds like I'm the opposite of you. Nonetheless, you can look up the serial numbers using the link above. The differences in mine were that one was from one foxconn facility and the other from a different one in a different city. Both are week 35 mfg. date. So look yours up and you'll likely find they're both brand new.

To explain being prompted with another apple ID:

My wife and I use the same computer to manager our iTunes accounts. I don't recommend it. When I backed up my iPhone 5, we were signed into the iTunes store under HER apple ID. Well, when it backed my apps up, it associated them to HER apple ID but I did not know this. I restored my new iPhone 6 and went to update some of the apps from the phone. It started prompting me for HER apple ID for any apps that we both have on our phones. It also prompted me for two long-since-discontinued email addresses for who knows what...

I think you got a new iPhone. Even if it was refurb'd, those are just as good as new.

----------

I got a refurbished 5 from apple twice and both times screen was coming off. literally.
OK, I take back "just as good as new" cause I got a refurb'd 5 and the screen was clicking and coming off of the body. I sent it back and got a perfect one though... so...

erzhik

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2010
There is no chance that any replacement 6/6+ are refurbished at this point.
There are more refurbished 6/6+s than you think. Hundreds if not thousands are returned and exchanged or broken daily and those are immediately stripped and reassembled into refurbished. I'm 100% certain that manufacturers have refurbished phones after just a few days.

shabanggg

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2014
Only accept brand new in the bid sealed retail at this point!! Why not?? You want to pay all that money for a Genius Bar replacement phone?? Enjoy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.