Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pooleman

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I am thinking about getting a refurbished 64 GB iPod Touch. I have 2 questions regarding this.

1. Has anyone ever purchased from the refurb store that can share their experience? Does it really take 30 days to ship one of these?
  2. Should I wait until the WWDC to see if we will see an upgrade to the iPod touch this year?

Slix

macrumors 65832
Mar 24, 2010
I'm in the same boat as you, waiting for a new iPod touch to be announced, and while it likely won't be announced at WWDC, I'd say it's worth the wait to see for sure, and if you can, waiting until fall when they will probably release the next generation of iPod touches.

And I've bought refurbished items from Apple before, it usually doesn't take 30 days, at least from what I remember anyway.

Best of luck! :)

pooleman

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I'm in the same boat as you, waiting for a new iPod touch to be announced, and while it likely won't be announced at WWDC, I'd say it's worth the wait to see for sure, and if you can, waiting until fall when they will probably release the next generation of iPod touches.

And I've bought refurbished items from Apple before, it usually doesn't take 30 days, at least from what I remember anyway.

Best of luck! :)

I ordered the refurbished iPod touch today in 64 gigs. I figured that even if Apple does upgrade the touches this year they will be priced higher than I will want to pay. And now with the higher capacity ipod to hold all my music I will just buy the larger iPhone this year in the smallest GB version available and that should be fine.
image.jpg
The Space Grey they are saying will take 30 days but I just ordered the white one which says its available between 1-5 days.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
All Apple's refurbs carry the same warrantee as a new gadget. My first refurb (30GB iPod) is still in use. Purchase Apple Care for your iPod too.

pooleman

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
All Apple's refurbs carry the same warrantee as a new gadget. My first refurb (30GB iPod) is still in use. Purchase Apple Care for your iPod too.

I am not sure I will want to plop down another $100 for 3 year old technology. I have never dropped and iDevice, never broken the screen or gotten it wet. I think I am good with the 1 year warranty.

theapplefanboyj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2014
I am thinking about getting a refurbished 64 GB iPod Touch. I have 2 questions regarding this.

1. Has anyone ever purchased from the refurb store that can share their experience? Does it really take 30 days to ship one of these?
  2. Should I wait until the WWDC to see if we will see an upgrade to the iPod touch this year?

Why would you need an iPod Touch if your phone has up to date specs? Plus, you have unlimited data, so you can stream your music. I use an iPod Touch with my iPhone, but that's because I don't have much space in my phone and I'm a heavy picture person.

pooleman

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Why would you need an iPod Touch if your phone has up to date specs? Plus, you have unlimited data, so you can stream your music. I use an iPod Touch with my iPhone, but that's because I don't have much space in my phone and I'm a heavy picture person.

There are several reasons why I would like a 64 GB iPod.

1. I can't get my whole music library on iPhone and I don't want to stream all my music and Podcasts.
  2. I use my iPhone at church to connect to a projector and I control the Keynote with my iPad. I want to use my iPad however for sheet music (I play in the church band), so using the iPod as the remote would be helpful.
  3. My database of sheet music and Keynote presentations is growing and my iPhone is getting full.
  4. Streaming all my music is pushing my data usage above 5 GB every month so I am constantly getting throttled by AT&T.
  5. I like buying Apple stuff.

ipodtouch4ever

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2014
I ordered a refurbished iPod Touch and mine came much quicker then the estimated dates they told me, but that's probably because I live close to where they ship the devices. But I really doubt it will take 30 days for you to get it.

pooleman

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I ordered a refurbished iPod Touch and mine came much quicker then the estimated dates they told me, but that's probably because I live close to where they ship the devices. But I really doubt it will take 30 days for you to get it.

The estimates said that the Space Grey would take 30 days. I ordered a Silver White one and it has already shipped and is on it's way to the Apple Store.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I am not sure I will want to plop down another $100 for 3 year old technology. I have never dropped and iDevice, never broken the screen or gotten it wet. I think I am good with the 1 year warranty.

$60 for another year on warrantee is only $0.16 a day. I've never gotten my refurb iPod wet or dropped either. But for some reason it stopped working after a year of owning it, just like the new one I purchased.

So I took it back to Apple and got another one. Boom. Then when the current one came out, I sold it after using it for over 2yrs, and put the money towards a new one. #goodinvestment

but hey its your money :)

pooleman

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Going to pickup my new refurb iPod touch today. I'm pretty stoked. I'm going to bring my Mac mini with me is I can sync it right in the store.

pooleman

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Just picked up my new iPod touch in the Apple store. I brought my Mac Mini and they are letting me sync it right in the store. They dragged out a monitor and keyboard for me so that I can sync this up before my road trip.

pooleman

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I will take it out. I carry a lot of music and other files. PDF, keynotes, pages etc. also a lit of audio recordings from our band.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I would have bought a 64gb touch to complement my 5s then I found out it didn't have a GPS receiver. I'll not buy anything that doesn't have a GPS receiver built in and that includes a laptop. It only adds $5 cost to manufacture.

pooleman

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I would have bought a 64gb touch to complement my 5s then I found out it didn't have a GPS receiver. I'll not buy anything that doesn't have a GPS receiver built in and that includes a laptop. It only adds $5 cost to manufacture.

It also makes it easier for the NSA to track you. :)

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I ordered the refurbished iPod touch today in 64 gigs. I figured that even if Apple does upgrade the touches this year they will be priced higher than I will want to pay. And now with the higher capacity ipod to hold all my music I will just buy the larger iPhone this year in the smallest GB version available and that should be fine.
View attachment 469134
The Space Grey they are saying will take 30 days but I just ordered the white one which says its available between 1-5 days.

Space Grey is the newest color/SKU; therefore its supply is probably more constrained than the others, which have been around the block longer.

I'm of the mindset that multiple iPod touches is never a bad thing as you can always purpose one for something specific leaving the other for something else specific (i.e. one for development and one for personal use). I have the current 16GB model for messing around with and for iOS 7, where I have the current 64GB model in Blue for all my stuff and for maintaining the use of iOS 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.