Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Well I'm not going to paint Apple as being rosy and perfect, either, but I have not seen this "yellow screen" issue, nor have I seen the image retention issue, on mine or any of the ones I've seen in the Apple Store (granted, there's not much time to try the IR test on the store display models).

The one I bought looks great to me. We'll see if that changes in the future, but for now, it's fine.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
We have no idea why they have these returns. I've been told many times by people who work returns that it's husbands returning their impulse purchases once they get home and realize they didn't have the money. Some will no doubt be subjective defects and some will be real defects that are addressed.

I ordered one to replace my April 2010 MBP 17". I'll check it out as I always do but I don't expect there to be any problems.

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
Probably 90%+ of the 2012 LG displays in rMBPs suffered ghosting. Samsung had 0%. I had to return mine 3 times before I got a Samsung. It took 3 weeks for my original 2012 LG rMBP to display very serious ghosting problems.

I have not checked if they still use LG displays in the 2013 or if LG fixed the issue.

----------

There is zero difference between resale value of a refurbished and purchased new. Same warranty, everything exactly like new. I've always purchased refurbished when I can from Apple. Apple refurbished products are not like other companies refurbished products where there is a noticeable difference between new and refurbished.

I bought a used late 2008 15" MBP refurb on eBay 3 years ago and still LOVE IT.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
See I have a wife and four kids and another one on the way so I had all summer to save for it because once school started for my kids. Saving 3k for a MacBook Pro would be hard cause i'm shopping for my kids, paying bills, rent and taking care of other important stuff and also doing Christmas shopping so un-least i'm not the only one.

Good to see there are some less-wealthy individuals on here haha. Hopefully I'll be a little more fortunate, as I don't plan on having more than 2 kids. You've got to pick your poison.

KattDaDon

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
Refurbished Late 2013 15-Inch Retina MacBook Pro Now Available in Apple's Onl...

Good to see there are some less-wealthy individuals on here haha. Hopefully I'll be a little more fortunate, as I don't plan on having more than 2 kids. You've got to pick your poison.

To clarify my post I'm not less-wealthy. I'm a wealthy husband and I sacrifice a lot to get where I am and the career and job I have that provides for my family. So let me clarify what I meant. I was saving all summer for it because I treated my wife and kids and went away and took them places over the summer and I knew when school time comes I would be spending even more money on my kids for school, paying rent, bills and other stuff. I'm a wealthy individual that now realize I spend more than I save and my savings I never touch because God forbid anything happens to me, my wife and kids would have a set of money and even for college so your comment does not apply to me and you are right you have to pick your poison but I'm happy and grateful for my family. There's a lot of people in this world who can't have children and that was kind of wrong to assume I'm less-wealthy but I made it seem that way in my post so i'm sorry bout that peoples

Last edited:

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
To clarify my post I'm not less-wealthy. I'm a wealthy husband and I sacrifice a lot to get where I am and the career and job I have that provides for my family. So let me clarify what I meant. I was saving all summer for it because I treated my wife and kids and went away and took them places over the summer and I knew when school time comes I would be spending even more money on my kids for school, paying rent, bills and other stuff. I'm a wealthy individual that now realize I spend more than I save and my savings I never touch because God forbid anything happens to me, my wife and kids would have a set of money and even for college so your comment does not apply to me and you are right you have to pick your poison but I'm happy and grateful for my family. There's a lot of people in this world who can't have children and that was kind of wrong to assume I'm less-wealthy but I made it seem that way in my post so i'm sorry bout that peoples

Duly noted! I didn't mean any disrespect by it! I hope to be in a similar situation someday, and most of my money spent will definitely be on the family. I hope they appreciate our generosity

varatep

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2013
So would you guys pull the trigger on one of these refurbs? This is a great deal even with my education discount and I could possibly just go for the 15" instead of a 13" =D.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
So would you guys pull the trigger on one of these refurbs? This is a great deal even with my education discount and I could possibly just go for the 15" instead of a 13" =D.

If I normally thought macs are VERY expensive, I would go for the refurb. If I just thought macs were Expensive, then I'd save up a couple hundred more for a new one. I don't distrust anything about the refurb, I would just prefer a machine that I know someone hasn't used. Because I don't think people are nearly as careful or patient as I am, with their machines.

davidb367

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2007
Graphics Failure after 4 days

I purchased a 15" 16GB 512GB model just before Easter. Yesterday after 8 hours of hard use the main screen sheared and locked up. It repeated this behavior 5 more times and twice more at the Genius Bar.

I'm out of a machine for 5 days until Apple can replace the main board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.