Refurbished Mac Pro Has Arrived!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by SolidShadow, Jul 27, 2007.

1. SolidShadow macrumors member

I'm very impressed. Everything is purring nicely.
    I got the 2.66Ghz with a refurb ACD 23".

I purchased 4 more Gig of RAM from Mac Ram Direct via ebay.ca.
    No problems. They were fast and efficient. The RAM arrived the same day as the computer.

This thing really blazes. Especially compared to my G3 350Mhz.
    :)

I really reccomend a refurb. It's just as good as new and I saved a lot of money. It's a really great experience.

I've named the computer Asgard.

Thanks for all the suggestions on this forum!

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Congratulations! I haven't had a Mac Pro for very long either, and I love it. This thing is awesome. Though you have more RAM than I do. ;)

3. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

:) Congratulations, great purchase, good choice upping the RAM :D

4. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

5. MacTO macrumors member

MacTO

Same as my setup, except I have another 23" ACD. :D Have fun with it!

6. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Yes! Pics!!!! And please take a pic of the refurbished box it came in. I heard you don't get the original box with a refurb.

Thanks, enjoy the machine, and post those pics (traitor! lol) :D

7. SolidShadow thread starter macrumors member

OK OK Here are a couple of Pics.

Jeez! It's like you guys haven't seen a Mac Pro before.
    :D

Forgive my horrible photo skillz. I'm an illustrator not a photographer.
    The box:
    [​IMG]

The System:
    [​IMG]

8. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Thats a nice setup bro'. Good purchase. I worried if the Mac Pro would be decent on a desk. :)

9. SolidShadow thread starter macrumors member

I can barely hear it's hard drive clicking away contentedly next to me. I'm impressed by how quiet it is. I haven't even heard the fans spin though my activity widget tells me they're indeed spinning.

The ACD puts off a lot of heat when set on maximum. but I find that too bright. I've set it to half and it's perfect.

It sits fine on my desk. My drawing table is behind me so I have plenty of room.

10. SolidShadow thread starter macrumors member

I just have one last thing to add about this machine.
    Safari seems snappier.
    :D

11. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

congrats man, i was going to get a refurbish as well till i found a dealer that would sell me at the price of a refurbish brand new with free shipping i couldnt go wrong..

12. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

really nice setup, I like refurbished products!

13. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

What Dealer?

Please tell us he dealer with a link to it? :)

14. SolidShadow thread starter macrumors member

My only real goal now is to upgrade the video card.
    Anybody know of reputable vendors that sell flashed X1900's?

I might buy an upgrade kit from Apple but it will be next year probably.

I know it's perceived around here that I don't need it but frankly I will need it eventually as media becomes more graphic intensive. That's what made my G3 unusable more than anything else. If it's upgradeable in my system, I want to upgrade it eventually.

15. stimpycat macrumors regular

why on earth do you mac guys put the Mac Pro on your desk? It's designed to sit on the floor, out of the way - not on the desk..

16. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Yes, please - do tell.

17. SolidShadow thread starter macrumors member

It's got feet and it's a 3D rectangular shape, ergo it's designed to sit where I want it to sit. If it were ACTUALLY designed for the floor it might have wheels. Or not.
    Regardless if I want to put my near noiseless tower on the desk, I have the power. I'm not quite sure how a computer is designed for floor use, but I'm glad my DVD is in easy reach.

Also, I have a cat. Despite all my cleaning and dusting, fur and dust bunnies happen. Practically none of it makes it to the top of my desk. I've noticed about a 40% drop in crud in my G3 tower by having it on the desk.
    Yes I took note of it.

18. empezar macrumors regular

empezar

sorry, I would have to disagree with you. any computer with usb and headphone ports on the front is not designed to sit on the floor.

19. stimpycat macrumors regular

That's a fair enough answer - although I must point out that it is - as is every tower - designed to sit on the floor; that isn't just my theory it's how they are intended to sit.

That doesn't mean you have to put it on the floor of course.

Different strokes and all that..:)

20. stimpycat macrumors regular

What difference does that make? The distance from my headphone socket to my ear is about the same when my tower is on the floor as it is if I were to stick it on my desk.:confused:

21. SolidShadow thread starter macrumors member

I understand the different strokes. That was my main point. Just because someone does something different. Doesn't mean it's wrong. They may have a perfectly logical reason for doing so.

As for the "Designed to sit on the floor" thing. As a designer myself, I'm still not seeing where "Design" is coming into it. Things can be cooler near the floor but I see no design principle in the unit that expressly say "made for the floor".

It's clearly designed to be put in a place where it will fit with adequate clean air flow. Floor in particular? Not necessarily.

22. SolidShadow thread starter macrumors member

I guess what I'm saying is because it's easy to set a tower on the floor and often convenient for small spaces, or for aesthetics, it's become a brain bug that they were designed that way. I don't really believe that's true.

Now somebody who builds a computer into a foot rest or something *which I've seen* would most certainly be designed with the floor in mind.

Anyway that was my mental vomit for the day. Sorry.

23. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

I'm with ya. I think its best to place the computer unit wherever its most convenient and clean for you.

My PowerMac G4 and my PC towers sit on my desk between the 4 displays, and my Dell machine sits on a table next to its monitor.

Just because they were meant to sit on the floor, doesnt mean they gotta. Better airflow and less dust happen when stuffs up higher.

24. stimpycat macrumors regular

Likewise on the designer occupation - hence my continued discussion..

Products are designed to be used in a certain way - that doesn't have to mean they can only be used that way, but in the case of a computer tower it is designed with the floor in mind.

The modern computer tower was designed to maximise desktop space - this is the main reason for the move away from the desktop based units of the 1980's that sat under your monitor, to the floor based tower of today which can sit on the floor thus freeing up valuable desk space (it's also why cables are slightly longer today)

With the Mac Pro specifically, if not only due to it's sheer weight (let alone size) it's rather amusing to see it on desks - any design team (let alone the Apple design team) wouldn't create something so huge to sit on a desk, that would fly in the face of every single apple product being sold today - all of which are designed to be as small, slim and unimposing as possible.

There are plenty of references around which will confirm that towers are indeed designed to sit on the floor - many of which I can't be bothered to reference - but google "towers" and "design" and they will appear.

But as you say, absolutely no rules to say it shouldn't sit on the desk or indeed hang from the roof - whatever floats the boat of the user I say.

Which leads me to this - would it still operate on it's side - ala the 80's setup?

25. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

How much was it?