Refurbished MacBook Pro with Retina- Worried

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dante Rising, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Dante Rising macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm new to your forum and quickly wanted to thank everyone for their helpfulness on this board. I've read numerous topics and the vast majority of people are professional, educated on the product, and kind.

I'm heavily entrenched in Apple products, owning an iPhone, ipad, AirPort Extreme, and iTouch. I've always been impressed with Apple's build quality and CSRs. But this is my first jump into their laptops.

I just ordered a MacBook Pro with Retina, 15", 8GB, 256SSD. At the refurbished store it was $1549. It seems like a steal. But as soon as I saw the "Thank You" screen I started getting nervous. This is a July 2012 model, which means it is a first version product coupled with being refurbished.

Refurbished items make me nervous enough, but 1st generation seems like I may be doubling-down on potential problems. In your opinion was it worth the $600 savings, or am I asking for trouble?

Thank you for your time.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Apple refurbs are as new machines. You also have the assurance that they have been fully tested by Apple. Don't worry about it, your new Mac will be fine.

3. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

I'm considering getting the same model.. but how did you get it for $50 less?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...-23ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

This is the one you got right?

Anyway, I've heard refurbished products are great quality. Let me know how it is for you?

4. tillsbury macrumors 65816

It'll be fantastic, just like this one here that I've been using almost a year. And if you're unlucky enough to find it faulty, Apple will fix or replace it. What's the problem?

5. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

You're typically less worried if it's a new in box product and spending $1,500+ for a refurbished product gets pretty scary (to me).

Still debating if I should get it myself.

6. Dante Rising, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013

Dante Rising thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, that is the one. I received an extra 50 off due to a discount from my employee benefits program.

I'll definitely report back. I do have the money for a new one, but it seemed like a great deal. My girlfriend's refurbed ipad has woked flawlessly, but we're talking a significant difference in price and complexity. And with electronics, I was always trained to avoid the refurbs.

Honestly, every Apple product I have owned has worked flawlessly. So they have an absolutely sterling reputation in my mind. Something that ASUS, for example, lost with me some time ago. I'd hate to tarnish that because I tried to 'cut corners' and not buy new. The old 'You get what you pay for' adage.

But I also figured that I could use the savings toward the extended warranty offered By Apple once My year is almost up.

7. Phil Lee macrumors 6502

I just bought a base rMBP (2.3GHz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, July 2012) from the UK refurbished store. Like you I took advantage of the recent price drop to buy it. I have yet to see an early 2013 model on the refurbished store.

Looking at the benchmarks, the 2012 model has a Geekbench of 10781 compared with 11193 for the early 2013 2.4GHz model. That's not a great deal of difference.

All refurbished models come in a plain white box rather than the retail packaging. When you open it up, the computer is shrink wrapped like a new one. My computer looks as good as new. All refurbished models from Apple have a 1 year warranty which can be extended via Applecare. I know in the UK there are some other shops that sell refurbished Apple computers but they cannot be protected by Applecare.

This is my 4th refurbished Apple computer and I would definitely buy a refurbished one again in the future.

8. tillsbury macrumors 65816

I've had and seen lots of refurbs. The only reason this isn't a refurb was that they weren't available last June! I'm currently looking at a refurb 2012 Air for my son and some for our local school. What are you scared of?

9. Dante Rising thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess the concerning part is that these June 2012 refurbs have been in a person's hands for almost a year, and then got sent back. So while Apple would have replaced the defective part, the other parts have a year of wear and tear, unlike a 2103 refurb, for example.

I wouldn't even be considering this if it wasn't an Apple laptop.

10. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Not necessarily at all. But I see your concern. If you don't like it why not just return it? Don't be worried about things that haven't happened yet... all the refurbs I've ever seen have been so near mint you would need to be OCD with a microscope to tell...

11. Phil Lee macrumors 6502

Most refurbs are customer returns inside the standard 14 day (or whatever it is) return period. They can't be sold as new but there is generally nothing wrong with them. Apple recondition them and sell them on as refurbs.

12. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

Well, what I really want is a brand new battery. I don't want to get one and it has 6 battery cycles on it. I want it to be a completely fresh experience for me. I want it to look entirely brand new just not in a retail box. This is what I would like out of a refurbished $1,599 product.

Then again, most cars bought are always used and they are much more expensive.. Hm..

13. sick z33 macrumors 6502

You can't go wrong with an Apple refurb, as everyone stated. Enjoy it!

14. vatter69 macrumors 6502a

vatter69

15. owensky macrumors member

From what I understand apple give the computer an overhaul replacing the battery and all. I think they only reuse the processor or something like that. I bought a refurb and it had no cycle on the battery. Just wait and see what you get.

16. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

We'll see.. I'm waiting on the BTS promo to see if it is good enough. I may get a 13" rMBP instead if it is..

17. sick z33 macrumors 6502

18. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Apple refurbs very often, if not always, have brand new exterior components (top case, keyboard) and batteries. They are often better than new- unlike some companies if a computer is returned for a small flaw Apple will fix it before reselling. It's a good deal all around.

19. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Remember that they sold 'June 2012' model rMBPs all the way up until the 2013 refresh. The computer you get could have been manufactured in January 2013.

Either way you get a full one year warranty and the ability to add AppleCare, if something isn't right with it then Apple will fix it.

20. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

What was the battery when you got it and is that the 13" or 15"? For the 15" I've seen 12000 scores, so that sounds a little low to me.

----------

So I will be completely happy with a refurb then..?

21. tillsbury macrumors 65816

It doesn't sound like it, but you should be...

22. B... macrumors 68000

B...

I think you would be very happy with a refurb. It carries the complete Apple warranty, so if you have any problems at all, you can return it or get it fixed.

23. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Most likely, and if you aren't you can return it (same return policy as new), or have it fixed (same warranty as new).

24. Phil Lee macrumors 6502

It's a 15" rMBP 2.3GHz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD. The battery has a full charge capacity of 8870 and now has 2 cycles on it.

As for the Geekbench scores, I'm going off the browser scores for 32-bit. I don't license Geekbench so haven't run the 64-bit version myself. For 64-bit the 2012 2.3GHz scores 11743 and the 2013 2.4GHz scores 12186.

25. Dante Rising thread starter macrumors newbie

Ugh....I was given some misinformation elsewhere, and was under the impression that refurbed MacBooks also got a new outer casing. Now I've been reading other forums and have been told that only the iPads and iPhones get the new outer shell. I've been reading stories about people who received their MacBooks with gouged sides, multiple scratches on the cover, etc.

I'm really hoping that my MacBook Pro arrives looking new, as I tend to be very meticulous with my electronics. It got shipped today and arrives on the 18th. I'm hoping the previous owner is like me when it comes to caring for his laptop.

I know to some people that sounds petty, but at almost $1600 I have expectations for the exterior cosmetics. Keeping my fingers crossed.....:)