Refurbished MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by babymandm, Dec 8, 2018.

1. babymandm macrumors newbie

babymandm

I could really use some help. I found a refurbished MacBook on the Best Buy website. I think it’s a 2011 model, had good memory and hard drive, but I’m concerned because it’s an older model. Can it be updated with the new software? And it has an i5 processor, is this the same as what the new ones are? I really can’t afford to get a brand new one right now and I know I won’t use it as often as most people, this is why I was looking into refurbished. Any pros and cons with this model would be very helpful. Here is the info on it.

Apple - MacBook Pro 13.3" Pre-owned Laptop - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - 320GB Hard Drive - Silver

13.3" display
    1280 x 800 native resolution. Energy-efficient LED backlight.

8GB system memory for advanced multitasking
    Substantial high-bandwidth RAM to smoothly run your games and photo- and video-editing applications, as well as multiple programs and browser tabs all at once.

320GB hard drive for decent file storage space
    Holds a modest collection of digital photos, music and videos. 5400 rpm spindle speed for standard read/write times.

Intel® HD Graphics 3000
    Second-generation on-processor graphics provide solid image quality for Internet use, basic photo editing and casual gaming.

Bluetooth 2.1 interface syncs with compatible devices
    Wirelessly transfer photos, music and other media between the desktop and your Bluetooth-enabled cell phone or MP3 player, or connect Bluetooth wireless accessories.

2 USB 2.0 ports
    Quick plug-and-play connectivity for your devices and accessories.

Thunderbolt port for connecting advanced monitors and external drives
    This single interface supports both high-speed data and high-def video — plus power over cable for bus-powered devices — ideal for digital content creators.

Built-in media reader for simple photo transfer
    Supports SD, SDHC and SDXC memory card formats.

Wireless and wired network connectivity
    Built-in high-speed wireless LAN connects to your network or hotspots on the most common Wi-Fi standards. The Gigabit Ethernet LAN port also plugs into wired networks.

DVD/CD burner
    Reads and writes to a wide variety of media formats, including DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, CD-R/RW and double-layer DVD.

Additional port
    Headphone/microphone/SPDIF combo jack

2. tcphoto1 macrumors regular

tcphoto1

My 15” Mid-2015 MBP was purchased from Apple Refurbished and I would recommend buying one but a 2011 is simply too old. I am not tough on computers but my new Late ‘08 MBP started to die in May of ‘16. Perhaps ask yourself if you can get by with an iPad until you can afford the MBP that you want.

3. puma1552 macrumors 603

i wouldnt buy a refurb that was refurbished by a third party, e.g. purchased anywhere other than apple.

4. Howard2k macrumors 68000

Howard2k

Seconded. I would buy refurbished from Apple, or just buy used from a local source.

5. babymandm thread starter macrumors newbie

babymandm

Thank you for your comments. I was just looking for one to play around on and don’t want to buy brand new for what little I’ll be using. How old of a model would be ok to purchase? These models are 2011. Would 2013 be ok or 2015?

6. unglued macrumors 6502

Depending on your needs, this 2011 is doable but I would only consider it if it comes with a warranty and I’m able to spend an additional $150 to upgrade the hard drive to a faster SSD drive.

It’s not the same i5 processor as the new ones and you won’t be able to install the newest operating system/software but the previous version will be more than enough.

7. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Looking that up at the Best Buy web site... They want about $700 for a 7 year old laptop (!)
    According to Mactracker app, that model has a current retail value of less than $270. ----

8. Howard2k macrumors 68000

Howard2k

I would consider going as far back as 2014.

9. Airboy1466 macrumors 6502

Airboy1466

Honestly bud I would look on offer up for 2017 base model mbp they are going for around $750-$900 in my area which is insanely cheap best part is they come with a 4 year Apple warranty and Apple can still fix and repair these machines and you get the newest form factor without a touchbar which is a gimmick at this point granted I love it but it’s a gimmick.

10. unglued macrumors 6502

$700?? Forget that, I’m not surprised coming from Best Buy.

11. babymandm thread starter macrumors newbie

babymandm

I am staying away from Best Buy after reading everyone’s comments. I’m going to see if someone locally sells them refurbished. Or just get a new air.

Thanks everyone for your comments and help!

12. Painter2002 macrumors 6502a

Painter2002

I would try to stick to 2015. As others have said, older than that and you are going to be getting significantly older hardware and will be limited a bit more on software you can install and use in the long run. 2015 or maybe a 2014 model would be a decent mode to use.

As for buying a refurbished, I’d recommend sticking with Apple. I bought my refurb 2017 13” MBP from Apple and it’s been great!

13. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

How? AppleCare+ is only 3 years and is the only extended warranty offered by Apple.

14. puma1552 macrumors 603

He's talking about the keyboard warranty.

15. PROFESS0R macrumors regular

Agreed.

16. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that computer you're looking at is NOT a refurbished MacBook Pro. It's a USED MacBook Pro that's been cleaned up, HD wiped and OS reinstalled, and the whole thing repackaged and put up for sale by Best Buy. And that's not the same as refurbished. Before you buy this thing, you need to find out the history of that computer. And if BB insists it's refurbished, find out exactly what they did to it to "refurbish" it. New components? New battery? New this and that?? And also, does it come with a warranty? End advice.

17. SDColorado macrumors 68030

SDColorado

I don't think it is even much of a limb if it is the listing here. While the product code is "refurbished" it is in Best Buys "Pre Owned" section. Best Buy makes no claim to it being refurbished by them. All they claim is "Pre-owned products are inspected and verified to function properly. May not include all parts and accessories, and usually do not have original packaging."

I think what we have here is a pre-owned former Apple refurbished model.

18. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

You're absolutely right! I went out to that link and checked it out and it's definitely a previously owned computer. But hey, throw an SSD in it and it might be a good little computer for knocking around the web and kicking out term papers. But I'd definitely ask Best Buy to knock $100 off the price and throw in some kind of warranty before I bought it.

19. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Used Macs that are well taken care of are great buys. I bought my 2011 iMac used in 2013 from small chain of 3rd party Mac stores in St Louis and it’s still going strong to this day especially after I installed an SSD in it.

I tend to stay away from “refurbished” by 3rd parties since I don’t know what they do to it. (Like try to haphazardly Frankenstein parts together into a new Mac) If it’s simply sold as “used”, then it should be just as reliable as a new Mac but it just had a previous owner.

Another great thing about 3rd party used Mac stores is that you can see the exact machine in person before you buy.

20. Airboy1466 macrumors 6502

Airboy1466

I only buy used if it has the original apple warranty or Apple care

21. SDColorado macrumors 68030

SDColorado

Guessing it is one that Best Buy took in as a part of their trade-in program. Which is neither here nor there if it was taken care of.

It appears Best Buy will still allow you to purchase up to 3 years Geek Squad Protection for pre-owned. I am not sure how good their warranty is, but it is good to be able to get any kind of warranty beyond maybe 90 days on a used machine.

22. rdubmu macrumors member

Yes you bought a two year old iMac that doesnt move from a desk in 2013, this is apples to oranges. Buying a 2011 macbook pro in almost 2019 doesnt make any sense for $700. At that olive, get a 2018 macbook air

23. TechZeke, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018

TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

The store's(MacHQ in St Louis) used Macs all had AppleCare, and my iMac had a year of AC left when I bought it.

I think that AppleCare is a huge plus if you're buying a more recent used Mac; but after thinking about it, I'm not sure if it's a necessarily a deal breaker.

Yes, I should have made clear that I agreed with the sentiment that buying a 2011 Mac makes no sense at this point, but the main point of my post was that a used Mac can be a great option.

24. Airboy1466 macrumors 6502

Airboy1466

I disagree having AppleCare is the best thing to have on a used Mac in 2015 I bought a used 15inch for $400 and it had apple care I recently cracked the screen a few weeks ago and apple replaced it for free, after that it began having more problems with the new display and they just replaced it with a brand new 2018 15inch so $400 3 years ago got me a brand new laptop 3 years later. Apple care is always worth it.

25. Howard2k macrumors 68000

Howard2k

Not to be pedantic, but it's actually almost always NOT worth it. Your case is an outlier. Most folks don't use their Apple Care service at all, it's just free money for Apple.