Refurbished/ New MBP? Crucial decision

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hadi, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Hadi macrumors member

Long after waiting for the new MBP, I was personally not as impressed as a lot of people were. anyhow for some of you who have helped me before I ask for you help again.

Main use: Music production. (Logic Studio) possibility of video editing in the future.

As I was looking around the apple store I find out that Mac is now selling a refurbished units and I found this MBP from the previous generation second line of the MBP which was getting sold for about $2499 as I remember.

As I'll compare to you.
    Old second line ref-MBP goes for $1600 CAD
    New basic MBP $2149CAD

Old + new screen
    15.4-inch glossy widescreen display same

Old RAm
    2GB memory 667MHz DDR2 memory (PC2-5300)
    New
    2GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x1GB

Old + new HD
    250GB Serial ATA; 5400 rpm

Old Video Card
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB of GDDR3 memory (AGAIN 512)
    new
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB

I can save up to $700 buying the Refurbished one. I'm thinking if I buy the 4gb RAM I will have a great computer rather than spending so much money on the new one. please let me know if you have done this before or your ideas about the whole thing

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'd buy the refurb and upgrade the RAM myself. Don't buy Apple RAM....way overpriced.

3. Hadi thread starter macrumors member

I really think it's a good idea.(that doent mean its true though)
    The amount of money I can save is crazy. with a just like new apple warranty. not too old technology.something you'd pay an extra &1000 dollars a week ago is a viable for way less????????

4. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I was looking at macmall on their old stock of MBP's. They have new units at near Apple Store refurbished prices. Ultimately, I went with the newer but was tempted to do a new, older style 15" 2.4 for $1450 after $150 rebate.

5. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Easy. Get the refurb. It should last you a few years even after your AppleCare expires. By then the new MBPs will be out and you'll upgrade and hopefully Apple is not stupid enough to make them Glass only.

6. rcgregory macrumors newbie

7. Hadi thread starter macrumors member

I called the mall near me they said all old MBP's are sold

8. rcgregory macrumors newbie

Amazon has the prev. MBPs too. I ordered the 15 inch 2.4 ghz model for $1594 minue $150 rebate ($1444).

9. johnsy macrumors 6502

It not going to break just because it is OLD model. We been with this model almost since 2001, so we know its flaws and benefits. new ones however are not properly tested and we don't know what going to happen with them in a long run. Of course everything new seems better. I mean could it be otherwise? It is new! But the most important thing new stuff brings is increase in price. One way or another.
    As for new macbook pro I think they rushed it, they tried to save money and implement expensive (?) technologies, so they got to make compromises.

10. qsoundrich macrumors member

I'm considering one of the refurbs they are selling at apple store online for $1350. It seems like it kills the new Macbook at that price, especially when it comes to the speakers and display size. Only thing I'm concerned about is the NVIDIA problem that seems to afflict most MBPs until yesterday's update.

11. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

The thing is, who knows what as-of-now-unknown issues the new models will have, but the nVidia 'issue' with the last MBPs are known, and Apple is aware of it. Not all computers will fail, and those that do will fail for various reasons. Hard drives will fail, keyboards will fail. Motherboards will fail. Optical drives will fail. Trackpads will fail. Displays will fail. And... GPUs will fail. Just not all of those things will fail on all machines. On some machines maybe none of them will fail in 5 years. Who knows? Life has no absolutes.

I'd say go for a refurb or new 'old' model and install smcFanControl to keep things cool and avoid those nasty temperature extremes, and you'll probably be good. Also, the warranty for the GPU is now going to be at least 2 years (vs 1 year on the new models,) and if it turns out to really be a widespread problem, Apple will probably wind up with other remedies down the line. I'd just not be paranoid about the GPU that much. Good luck. Don't worry. Be happy! :)

12. dougnewman macrumors 6502

Looks to me like the price difference is $550, not $700. :confused:

I still would say the refurb is a better deal, though.

13. Phenobarbital4U macrumors newbie

by the way you were typing your message you can tell that your leaning on the refurb side. Go for it and get the refurb, its a beautiful machine and you save money!! (typing on mine right now!!!) :D

14. jTreu macrumors 6502

I bought the 2.5ghz with 512mb VRAM for $1499 after waiting for the new one to come out and not loving it, received the reurb today, couldn't be happier, especially considering this laptop was $2500 last week. I think the older gen looks more "pro" with the all aluminum, the new ones look kind of gaudy, imo.

15. dougnewman macrumors 6502

Certainly the aesthetic distinction between the "pro" and "consumer" lines is much narrower now with the MacBook Pro sharing its styling with the MacBook and iMac. Even the box is white now!

I don't care about this stuff but for those who see their computers as status symbols it might be a problem.

16. jTreu macrumors 6502

its not that I see it as a status symbol or care about the differentiation from the MB, but it just has too much going on with the two tone and shiny glass which doesnt appeal to me.

17. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

I think your concerns are valid. I bought one of these but am returning it because I learned about the faulty gpu. 1) I don't want to be without my main machine while it's being repaired 2) I hate spending $2000 for something with a known issue (this is not just "everything breaks" philosophy, it's a fault of nvidia and their stock holders are suing them for hiding it 3) I hate buying a machine that won't have a good resale value. My current tipb still works after 8 years. If I bought this refurb and resold it later, I would have to disclose the faulty gpu issue (even though apple won't - which is not up to their usual standards).

I'd rather go with ugly than a machine with a display screen that is a gamble.

18. dougnewman macrumors 6502

Yes, it is a bit...glitzy looking.

19. shoppy macrumors 6502a

If you do not like glossy, go refurb. I do like glossy so I went and got a stock 2.4. I have brought apple refurbs before they are a great deal.

20. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'd go with the refurb option over the new just now. It is tested and tried, comes with the Apple warranty (and you can always upgrade to Applecare should you wish to do so), and has an extremely generous discount. The MBP itself is a superb machine one I strongly recommend. I bought one in April and it is by far the best computer I have ever had.
    Cheers and good luck

21. Hadi thread starter macrumors member

HOW upsetting. As usual I'm always slow taking decisions. I listen to you guys and made a decision buying a refurbished or just new old model and they are all sold out. what a piss off.
    you guys think they'll be more coming?

what dose GPU stand for?

22. jTreu macrumors 6502

Yes, I mean I can see why their going in this direction, it seems to have a lot of mainstream appeal.

23. Hadi thread starter macrumors member

screw it I'm buying a 2.4 and then I'll upgrade the RAM my self. I got to greedy wanting the 2.5. **** it 2.4 for $1499 CAD is a DEAL???????????????? or not lol i duno. but it seems like I have to do it now.

24. jTreu macrumors 6502

The best deal is the refurb 2.5 with 512mb of VRAM, if you can get one of those grab it. Upgrade the ram yourself to 4g and your set.

25. kousuke18 macrumors regular

wait a little longer for apple to have more refurb 2.5ghz macbook pros, but next time, buy it right away with no hesitation! I was faced with the exact situation as you and missed my chance the first time. I waited till the next day and the 2.5ghz model was back up, and this time i bought it right away. For an extra $150, you get a faster processor with twice the cache, larger hard drive, and double the video memory.

btw I am in Canada too.