Refurbished Questions.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bc008, Sep 27, 2007.

1. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

although i have been saving for a new blackbook, i saw a refurb macbook pro in the refurb store for 1500, so i snached it up :)

i have never bought anything refurbished from apple before and have some quick questions. Will the case have any scratches? if the product ships defective apple has to send me a new one right? its in the warranty so..

also, anything else you think i should know? i know it doesnt come with the original box, which kindoff sucks, but for 500 dollars less its worth it ;)

2. Quiara macrumors regular

Quiara

I think you'll be really happy with it. Nine times out of ten, a refurb looks just like a new unit. Enjoy your toy! ^_^

3. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

it won t have any scratches, it's like a brand new one, if you were given a refurb and a new one and put them beside each other you would not know which one is which,the only difference is the packaging and sometimes you ll even get non mentioned hardware upgrades. Same warranty as a brand new one as well so you have nothing to worry about.

4. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

thanks! ill be sure to post unboxing pics of a "refurb" product for those as curious as me.

also, this will be my first matte computer! with having an imac aluminum and a macbook, i am excited to see how this cuts down on glare

it also comes with all new accesories correct?

5. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yes that is a correct all accessories are included just like a brand new one..

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I've bought an iPod, a Power Mac and an iMac from the UK refurb store.

The first 2 were in perfect, as new condition but the iMac I bought last month was a bit rough. It had a few easily noticeable scratches, the packaging was incomplete and it was obviously well used. Luckily it was also faulty, so I received a full refund.

Based on my first 2 purchases, I would have recommended a refurb to anyone, but my latest experience has somewhat put me off.

7. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

normally that would have thrown me off, but the fact that apple probably would have replaced it anyway makes me happier :)

8. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

My experience with Apple refurbished units has been perfect so far. (Knocks on wood.....) I have purchased an eMac for my son, an Airport Extreme Base Station, and my main computer, a 20" 2.16 C2D iMac. All perfect-the only thing you miss is the shiny new packaging.

Others report similar luck, although there ARE a few instances where they are less than perfect.

The big advantage is you save a significant amount of money, and still get the same factory warranty you would have on a brand new machine, with the same eligibility for Applecare.

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I'm hoping it was just a one-off. A few friends have also bought refurbs and have had perfect products. I'm sure yours will be great!

10. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

thanks, im really excited! i cant believe im going to have a MBP ;)

11. Drile macrumors member

As mentioned above, check system profiler when you receive it as every once in a while you will be in for a nice surprise!

12. GlynJones macrumors 6502

Sorry but you are wrong. I ordered a BlackBook refurb and it arrived with lots of scratches on the case and a well worn trackpad. I sent it back.

Thats the refurb lottery, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Hope you get a good one.

13. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

I've previously purchased a refurb iMac G5. It came in with lots of damage. It had a chip in the case (about a quarter-inch in size). And, it was extremely dirty (lots of caked-on grime that required scrubbing to remove). The screen was marked-up and had lots of scuffs in it.

I was told by Apple that the issues were cosmetic and would not be covered under warranty. Basically, chips and scratches and dents were cosmetic in nature and didn't affect the machine's working ability.

But, the computer also arrived with a dead ethernet port. So, it was in the shop within an hour after unboxing it for that. They installed a new logic board a few days later.

Then, the local shop (after much negotiating and such) finally agreed to replace the case that was damaged.

But, the mouse also arrived beat-up and non-functional (clicker mechanism was messed-up / it would stick and not go down). So, they eventually (after a few months agreed to replace the mouse).

Then the screen started flickering. But, they didn't have time to fix it (they were slammed with repair orders (no surprise). So, I sold it.

I say buy new if you want it to look nice.

If saving a hundred dollars is worth the risk you may get something that looks rough, then go for it. But, otherwise, spend the extra $100 and get new (yes, sometimes a refurb is $300 to $400 difference, but in several cases I've seen it save $100 or less).

Now, you may get a great system. But, understand that Apple's warranty does not cover cosmetic issues (it's in there). And, that was the reason for initial denial on my system. It's also been the reason for denial on many BRAND NEW portables that initially shipped with dents and bent panels (was an issue with some original version Mac Book Pro's).

Also, understand that whether you buy new or used / refurb, Apple's warranty policy is to provide you with a new or REFURB system at it's discretion when a warranty claim is files. So, you could buy new and get a dud and have it replaced immediately with a refurb.

So, in that case, you would have paid full new price, and gotten a refurb.

So, from one perspective, buying a refurb up-front insures that you'll avoid paying new price for a refurb if your machine happens to fail and get replaced with a refurbished unit.

14. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

My father-in-law got himself a refurb MacBook recently and saved himself a cool £200+ Looks brand new, no cosmetic damage at all and obviously works a treat .. :)

15. slu macrumors 68000

slu

There are literally hundreds of threads on this topic. Does anyone search the forums anymore?

16. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Here is what the Apple Refurbished FAQ says:

Each Apple Certified Refurbished Product:

* is fully tested (including full burn-in testing).
    * is refurbished with replacement parts for any defective modules identified in testing.
    * is put through a thorough cleaning process and inspection.
    * is repackaged (including appropriate manuals, cables, new boxes, etc.).
    * includes the operating software originally shipped with the unit and the custom software offered with that system. See each products "Learn More" for more details.
    * is given a new refurbished part number and serial number.
    * is placed into a Final QA inspection prior to being added to sellable refurbished stock.

So it should not have been dirty at all. It obviously has to work because it is under full one year warranty. I can't see anything that says it can't be scratched though.

17. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

I have purchases iPods, Imacs, Powermacs, iBooks and a Macbook refurbed, with No problems. Over the years I've saved literally 1000's and had great use out of all the machines. One iBook arrived DOA, like new ones will, I brought it to the local Apple Store (Southdale) they replaced it with a new one within 15 minutes.

I strongly recommend refurbs for those wanting to save a few $$$

Coachingguy

18. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

one question, how long after you see "prepared for shipment"
    does it ship?
    and do packages ship out on saturday? because i have had things delivered to me then.

19. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

Things rarely ship out on Saturday. I've seen the "prepare to ship" for days, then "Bam!" the package arrived at my door.:)

I'm sure you'll be happy, and if there's anything wrong, Apple will make it right. If you check the forums, the VAST majority have had positive service/response from Apple.

Enjoy!

Coachingguy

20. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

w00t, my MBP shipped on friday evening at around 5:30, only 2 hours after it said prepared for shipment.

it also has been updated today (saturday) saying it arrived in sacramento CA at about 2 in the morning.

it says it wont be delivered until the fourth? isnt that quite a while.. usually things shipping from CA arrive in about 3 days TOPS

21. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yeh i ll think they ll ring u on tuesday or wednesday

22. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

well, still no computer..

my order status hasnt been updated in a couple days, just says it left california and is in transit.

its weird that it is taking it 4 days to drive up here. (it hasnt stopped, because theres no scans)

and the funny thing is, the firewire cable, mouse, and sleeve i ordered on saturday came today.

23. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Yes, the computers do tend to move slowly.

My last machine was that way (purchased a couple of months ago).

That one was built in California. And, it also went for multiple days without scans. Like it just sat somewhere.

It took it 4 days or so to get from California to the next state (I can't remember which one). And, then another 4 days before it was scanned in my state. And, then when it got here it sat for a day before it showed being placed on the truck, it was then placed on the truck for delivery on Friday. And, then arrived on Monday.

Strange thing, is that my previous system came from China. And, it was built, shipped, and delivered in about half the time as the system that came from California.

24. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

well, the odd thing is is that my computer has had scans saying its leaving, and now its nowhere to be found.

wait, the fedex tracking link off apples page is taking me to a "tracking number not found" what does this mean...

25. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Just means that someone at FedEx liked your computer ;)

It may just be a glitch in the online tracking site. Apple's link basically sends your tracking number to FedEx and pulls up the information for you.

I'd try going to the FedEx site directly, and manually entering the tracking number (or do a copy and paste) directly on the FedEx page.