Refurbished vs New

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Epic Xbox Revie, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Epic Xbox Revie, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012

Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Refurbished is going to save money vs New which will be improved specs? And if I have to ask about specs they're probably all fine for me?

Is that about right- which means refurb would probably suit me best?

edit: New refers to the new Macbook Pros that are expected in the next 3 months.

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

even the specs are the same, usually after a few weeks there are refurbs with the newest models specs

jsut refurb comes in a plain white box and new coems in a fancy one with a picture of a MBP on it

thats all thats different

if you list what you plan to do on the MBP someone can than suggest a model that suits your needs

3. matbook101 macrumors 6502

matbook101

What? How does the new one have improved specs. If they're the same model, then they have the same specs but the refurb was previously used.

4. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

I apologize. I was referring to the new upcoming macbook pros vs current gen refurbished. Sorry for the confusion.

Uses:
    Gaming
    Basic computing needs (Internet, iTunes, Word, Mail)
    NO video editing
    Mathematica 8
    Driving a thunderbolt Display (Air goes a little slow at times)
    Take to classes

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I have a 13-inch MBP refurb mid-2009. Zero problems. I've upgraded memory to 8 GB for around $50 (been awhile so I forget exactly how much) and even upgraded the HD to 500 GB for $110 with no problems at all.

Buy a refurb, unless you have money to throw away.

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

get the early 2011 15" Quad Core 2.0 refurb, but if you can wait till the new ones come out than the refurb early 2011 will be even cheaper

7. /user/me macrumors 6502

Without knowing your needs and the specs of the new MBP, it's impossible to say.

8. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

If you're talking about a 2011 refurb vs. a 2012 model, safest bet would be to wait until the end of the month to see what happens.

If you're referring to a new 2011 vs. a refurbished one - go with a refurb. I
    ve bought and handful of new and refurbished MBPs and they've all been exactly the same. Double check the prices, though. All refurbished prices are not created equally and some of the deals aren't that great compared to new (especially after a student discount).

9. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

EDIT: late :)

It depends on what you want to do with your computer. :)

10. /user/me macrumors 6502

Usually the refurbs have a greater discount than what the edu discount can get you. In addition, you can't use them both together.

11. magbarn macrumors 68000

Unless you live in a low/no sales tax state, it's better to buy new from an out of state reseller as the tax alone (my sales tax is almost 10%!) really eats into the price differential. Now if you're buying last years model, then the savings are bigger.

12. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

13. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

1700 for a 2011 17" is a damn good bargain.

14. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

EXTREMELY. But do I really need this? Such a good deal. And $120 more for a Hi-Res screen.

15. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

I think I can safely say that you ABSOLUTELY NEED IT! Just kidding, but it is a sweet deal.

Sure it's not a 15"? 17" only has one resolution, but there is an antiglare option.

Either way, great dealio.

16. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Sigh. Nobody needs it really. I don't know what I want to do. I was leaning towards the smaller sizes because I've had a 11" for 8 months now and going to 17" would be almost crazy. But that laptop would last for a long time and it does a have a much better graphics card, and processor. And it would put a large gap between my laptop and iPad, perhaps bringing more use to both.

17. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

$1700 is an amazing price for a 2011 17". If you really want a great MBP snap that one up. You'll quickly get used to the screen real estate, and quickly will wonder how you ever got along without it. The only downside is thats a beast to carry around with you.

18. /user/me macrumors 6502

Careful with those absolutes there. If you have the cash, spring for it :) Rule of thumb is that you get the most power and space that you can afford. :)

Be well,
    UM

19. mrobit macrumors regular

I can vouch for this. I got accustomed to the screen very quickly and can't get by without it now. It's awesome for web design/development to have a lot of screen space.

I also bought it for that deal at MacMall and it is one I do not regret one bit.

20. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

The Hi-res option is added for a reasonable $120. Ahh, this is so tempting, because this is going to provide more power than any update with the same amount of money. But it is a little more than I'd like to spend, but I can, and is slightly larger than I would, in my mind, want. But it seems like it's not a huge deal.

21. /user/me macrumors 6502

After a while, you'll get used to it, and everything smaller will look more and more toy like.

22. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Well if you don't like it for whatever reason, e.g. financial or an update comes out, you have 14-days to return the thing. I've delt with their returns and they are awesome!

It's a great price IMO. The base 2.2 and the 2.3/Anti-Glare upgrade. It's $100 cheaper than 30 days ago. It may go down just a bit more before the refresh.

23. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Argh, idk what to do. Part of me wants to get the new 15", but that'll end up being the same price as this 17", or $200 more than the same specs in a refurbished 15".

24. snaky69 macrumors 603

Don't buy a mac, nor a laptop for that matter (in my opinion).

25. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Very occasional. It's not a big deal.