Refurbs coming with Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smdewart, Aug 24, 2009.

1. smdewart macrumors newbie

Hi All,

If I order a refurbished MacBook Pro today, what do you think the likelihood will be that they'll drop in a Snow Leopard DVD? Or should I wait until Friday when it will definitely come with it?

2. FcNo macrumors member

dont order a refurbished one. I ordered one and i got nothing but trash. bent keys, dead pixels, etc... if i were u go with a new one + a student discount and it'll be a small difference that is well worth it.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It certainly won't be pre-installed but a DVD should get dropped in the box or you could call Apple and get one. If you wait, you run the risk that the unit is no longer available in the refurb section.

4. Belm macrumors regular

i'm no pro, but a forum member here to that they won't start shipping SL with new until a couple weeks after it is released. thats just what i heard.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Refurbs come with the OS installed with which they originally shipped. No Snow Leopard refurbs will exist for months.

6. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

What?!?!

I've ordered two, and with my friends included I've seen 10 refurbs. NONE of them has ever had *a single thing* wrong with it. Not one problem. Case is flawless, screen is flawless....everything.

You've got to be the unluckiest person ever if you're serious.

7. vista.john macrumors regular

I totally agree, never saw any refurbished one with that type of problem. If it does, I am pretty sure Apple will take care it...

anyway, you should be able to upgrade the OS yourself. They usually drop a stand alone DVD in your box.

8. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

I've ordered a number of macs that were refurbished. Never had a cosmetic issue with any of them. They are almost better than new because of QC checks.

9. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

same with me always perfect.

10. FcNo macrumors member

I strongly disagree on the refurb, do a search and u'll find plently of people complaining about dead pixels. Maybe i am the unluckiest person in the world, but i would MUCH rather walk into a store and get it exchanged instead of waiting for days for a macbook pro. I recently sent my refurb for a refund and i have to wait 5-7 days for my refund. its rediculous dealing with the online apple store. they told me i couldnt return it at my local apple store.

So in conclusion, I personally would just buy it new at a local apple store, because if any issues occur, u can bitch at someone in person and get what u want instantaneously.

As for those who have had no problems with their refurbished, you either dont have a good eye for defects, or I am really unluckly.

11. belvdr macrumors 603

You must be really unlucky. My refurb 13" that I received last week is perfect.

As for walking in and complaining, that may, or may not, get you your desired results.

12. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

If you do a search you can find people complaining about anything and everything. This is hardly a valid excuse.

13. f2002q macrumors newbie

Knock on wood, but I just got my new uMBP 17 and I couldn't tell the difference between a new one and the refurb. The machine has been perfect, no dead pixels, absolutely no scratches, nothing wrong. I'm definitely a convert of the Apple Store refurbs.

14. FcNo macrumors member

im just stating my experience with the refurbished store.... i for one, will not be purchasing from there again.

15. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I disagree with your statement. You're probably basing it off a one time experience problem.

Refurbished, the company actually takes the system apart, inspects each part, then reassembles it.

I have purchased many items refurbished and none ever had a problem. This is coming from many companies, not just from one.

When I purchased my last MacBook Air, Rev A and compared it with my new Rev C, it was exactly the same. No bent keys, no scratches, no dead pixels, nothing.

16. dsampley macrumors regular

dsampley

I just purchased a 13in MBP referb and it had no problems out of the box. I most definitely would buy a referb again.

17. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

I bought a 15" MBP before they went to the unibody design via refurb. It was perfect.

Only thing is it didn't come in a new retail box, just had the foam holders in a brown shipping box.

Tonight just ordered a 13" MBP via Refurb and expect my experience to be the same as the first. The savings are just too good to pass up.

18. FcNo macrumors member

well it wasnt my first experience with a refurb, the first one sent came late plus it was completely damaged, then i had to send it back and received the one with dead pixels. I then called apple and requested to exchange it for another refurbished,but they refused my request and told me to send it in for a repair. I then refused and requested my money back, then they wanted to send me an exchange.

I thought to myself....ive gone through too much for me to keep dealing with this so i refused and said i have made up my mind and i am currently waiting for my money to get refunded... now if u were in my shoes, i believe u would do the same.

On top of all this, i need a computer fast since school starts next week. Apple has delayed me from buying a computer on time...which pisses me off to the max

19. California macrumors 68040

California

Why would you waste your time on a refurb when you can get the colleg discount anyway?

My refurbs -- have ALL been PERFECT. You should have just done what apple told you to do, they do fix your problems for you during the first 14 days quite fast.

20. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

^my friend order a refub, Mac Mini, in May, it tern out to have a few problems. it took apple 3 weeks to replace it, but they did give him $150 back so it only cost him $350, that is not bad.

I pre-ordered today, :apple: say's it will be delivered on the 28th, I remember when I order leopard, it was the same deal, delivered on the day of release.

21. FcNo macrumors member

why would i have wanted it fixed and wait a week? i could of had that done within my one year warranty. Since i was well in the 14 days, i figured apple would kindly exchange it for another fresh refurb. Unfortunately, apple only offered that AFTER I requested for my money back. so i just got fed up and said no, no more headaches.

Now as far as gettin a refurb vs the discount, going refurb i save about 150 bones. Since i heard good things about it, i went refurb. I now plan on going brand new so i can just walk in the store and get my service done instead of shipping my product and praying for nothing to happen during transaction. I just find it more convenient.

22. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

+3 (I've owned 3 refurbs and they were perfect)

Also, Apple refurbs come with the full 12 month warranty unlike many PC laptop refurbs which only come with 90 day warranties.

Cheers,

23. FcNo macrumors member

lucky u

24. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Refurbs have the one year warranty too?

25. California macrumors 68040

California

Of course.

You also can buy AppleCare for them to extend the warranty to three years total. Just like brand new macs.

It's ridiculous to put down the bargains you can get on refurbs.

I had more trouble with the new uni Mabooks last year than i have had with refurbs... I returned that machine three times for various problems.

Also the last one I kept for a few months ha a bad battery that Apple replaced.

Refurbs are the way to go.

The Original Poster needed to shop at his school computer store if he wanted new, and quit bitching about the time lag on shipping on refurbs.

Bogus complaints.