Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Regal Cinemas will soon launch an unlimited movie ticket subscription service in the United States, according to a new report from Deadline.

The service is set to launch in late July, and while the details are still being ironed out, it is expected to have three pricing tiers: $18, $21, and $24 per month. Each pricing tier will provide unlimited ticket subscriptions, and the pricing options are going to vary based on location. Regal has more than 500 theaters across the United States.

regalcinemas-800x153.jpg
Those purchasing a top-priced tier will have access to any Regal Cinema (i.e., from Valencia, CA to 42nd Street in NYC), while the lowest tier gets access to about half of the chain's national footprint. If someone purchased a subscription at a low tier and ventures to an out-of-network Regal in a higher tier (like a major city), there's apt to be a surcharge (not final, but around $2-$3) on a gratis ticket.
Each tier also includes 10 percent off concessions and Regal may offer discounted pricing when purchasing a subscription for an entire year. What's not known is whether premium options like IMAX, Dolby 3D and others will be included in the monthly subscription price.

Regal's upcoming movie ticket subscription service will compete with AMC's Stubs A-List program, which costs between $19.95 and $23.95 per month depending on the state and provides access to three movies per week.

Movie ticket subscription options became popular when MoviePass launched its $9.95 per month unlimited ticket program, but that ultimately failed due to the low pricing. MoviePass is still around, but charges $20 per month and restricts access to some movies.

Article Link: Regal Cinemas Planning to Launch Unlimited Movie Subscription Service

Exile714

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2015
Next up, toothbrush and toothpaste subscriptions! Pay a slight upcharge for ‘premium’ and you’ll get mouthwash and floss as well!

I much prefer my home theater to going to the movies anyway. No whining kids, no sticky floors, and I can pause the movie at my own leisure to go to the bathroom.

Subscription toothbrush? You’re talking about Quip, right? They don’t do mouthwash yet...

RowellE

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
I was a huge proponent of MoviePass a little over a year ago until they screwed me over my annual subscription and changed their terms midway though my year even though they promised me the changes would not affect me.

I signed up for AMC Premiere A List and I love it. I love that I can see any movie any time any format. The only thing is that the closest theater to me is a Regal, so this new subscription plan might be appealing to me enough to switch over. But as of right now, very happy with AMCs subscription service.

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
Maybe cause of MoviePass?
I got a subscription car wash service. It was great until my window randomly stopped rolling up, so now I can't wash my car :(

Last edited by a moderator:

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Subscription toothbrush? You’re talking about Quip, right? They don’t do mouthwash yet...
I was gonna say. I saw an ad once for bathroom stuff that included a subscription for toothpaste, toothbrushes, soap, razors and stuff. Forgot who it was. But they would send you a package once a month with everything you needed. Also, you can do this on Amazon also. lol.

mikethemartian

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2017
Melbourne, FL
Next up, toothbrush and toothpaste subscriptions! Pay a slight upcharge for ‘premium’ and you’ll get mouthwash and floss as well!

I much prefer my home theater to going to the movies anyway. No whining kids, no sticky floors, and I can pause the movie at my own leisure to go to the bathroom.
I always much preferred seeing films at the theater but stop going because the sound usually isn’t loud enough to keep me from getting distracted by noisy people in the audience. So I only go to the IMAX now because they always play the sound loud.
[doublepost=1562125259][/doublepost]
I was gonna say. I saw an ad once for bathroom stuff that included a subscription for toothpaste, toothbrushes, soap, razors and stuff. Forgot who it was. But they would send you a package once a month with everything you needed. Also, you can do this on Amazon also. lol.
Probably dollarshaveclub
[doublepost=1562125414][/doublepost]
Maybe cause of MoviePass?
I got a subscription car wash service. It was great until my window randomly stopped rolling up, so now I can't wash my car :(
Changing the window regulator is a pretty easy fix.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I was a huge proponent of MoviePass a little over a year ago until they screwed me over my annual subscI'llription and changed their terms midway though my year even though they promised me the changes would not affect me.

I signed up for AMC Premiere A List and I love it. I love that I can see any movie any time any format. The only thing is that the closest theater to me is a Regal, so this new subscription plan might be appealing to me enough to switch over. But as of right now, very happy with AMCs subscription service.
My experiences with MoviePass and AMC A-List match yours, but there are no Regal theatres near me, and three AMC theaters within a short drive, so I'll stick with AMC. But I'm glad there's yet another option for movie-watchers.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
My problem with these subscriptions is that there I'd only use them once a month, if that, because studios simply aren't making enough movies that I actually want to see.

Might as well just buy the ticket when there's something worth watching.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I’ve heard universities also have subscription services where you pay for housing, food, health care and education all in a bundle for a monthly cost. You don’t even have to pay for it while using the service as long as you’re enrolled in the 12-hour credit tier and you have 20 years to pay it off. It’s crazy, but you pretty much have to have it nowadays just like a Netflix subscription. MacRumors should do a story on that! I hear it’s popular with that extremely important 18-24 year old demographic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: thisisnotmyname

NIKKG

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2012
I haven't been to the theater in years, movies suck these days. Too many liberal SJWs virtue signaling or bad remakes, they don't deserve your money.. It's not even worth pirating either.

CKohkah

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
We are entering an era of subscription fatigue. Besides, I would be shocked if many individuals actually spend more than $288/year/person on movie tickets.

Price comes out to two tickets per month. If you think people don’t spend that on movies each month you are crazy. Endgame didn’t gross 800+ million in the US alone because ppl weren’t seeing movies.

$18 or even $24 a month for Unlimited movies besides the other benefits is extremely worth it. If you see at least 2 movies in theatres a month ppl will jump at this.
[doublepost=1562164087][/doublepost]
My problem with these subscriptions is that there I'd only use them once a month, if that, because studios simply aren't making enough movies that I actually want to see.

Might as well just buy the ticket when there's something worth watching.

This is solely unlimited. Wanna see 3 movies a day then do it again the next day? Do it. Totally worth $24 a month.

Reactions: jbachandouris

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Price comes out to two tickets per month. If you think people don’t spend that on movies each month you are crazy. Endgame didn’t gross 800+ million in the US alone because ppl weren’t seeing movies.

$18 or even $24 a month for Unlimited movies besides the other benefits is extremely worth it. If you see at least 2 movies in theatres a month ppl will jump at this.

This is solely unlimited. Wanna see 3 movies a day then do it again the next day? Do it. Totally worth $24 a month.
I was thinking the same. Since the subscription includes all formats, I would see more RPX/IMAX movies. Regal is my only choice in my area.

scottish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2011
Guess
The Cineworld Unlimited card is good value in the UK. I only need to go twice a month to make it worthwhile which I was doing anyway before I became a member. I now see lots of movies I wouldn’t have bothered with previously.

The comparison to subscription services is a little strange because this doesn’t replace standalone tickets. Cineworld is more expensive than the other cinema chains near me though.

If Cineworld follows the UK model when they introduce this at Regal expect to pay an additional amount for premium formats (IMAX, 4DX, Screen x) and receive discounts on food.

They also have exclusive screenings for unlimited members including secret screenings where you don’t know the movie until it starts. For example Incredibles 2 was shown about a month before general release.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

Don’t laugh but I do have Quip, which is a toothbrush and a toothpaste subscription.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I was a huge proponent of MoviePass a little over a year ago until they screwed me over my annual subscription and changed their terms midway though my year even though they promised me the changes would not affect me.

I feel like AMC has created a good balance. I mean how many folks actually go see more than 3 movies a week consistently. Well outside of reviewers but they probably aren’t paying for their tickets anyway. And if I’m reading it correctly you get some cash rewards etc for your concessions which many folks probably love.

It was certainly a smarter move than movie pass trying to do a movie a day

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida

No, I really don’t think that people consistently buy two movie tickets every month for themselves only. I’m sure some people go a couple times a month, a couples months. But I would be so shocked if that vast majority of people don’t watch MORE than 24 movies a year in the theater to make this even slightly worth it. Not everything needs a subscription.

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Trust me, this is fun! At least if you’re a cinema lover like myself. I’ve got such a subscription myself here in Amsterdam the Netherland €21 a month. It’s suitable for both art house movies and even Hollywood blockbuster (but I prefer Art House).

The good news is that you also support the world of cinema with a subscription, because cinema’s sometimes suffers from lack of income.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.