Regarding iOS5 and its jailbreak status

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Invincibilizer, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Previously hackers have been able to release jailbreaks every couple of months(tethered and untethered) for iOS up till now.

With iOS 5 going to be released soon, some people will once again jailbreak their phones but with the news that Comex(Allegra) has been hired by Apple, I began to ponder whether there will even be an iOS5 jailbreak.

Sure iOS5 beta jailbreak has been released as tethered but everyone wants an untethered one. With comex being a well known hacker and a very good one that is working for the opposite side, I just can't help but think how he will be able to patch up any holes and make sure that codes/firmware will be "unjailbreakable" and that iOS 4.3.5 may be the last full jailbreak for a while if not forever.

Has anyone else thought about the possibility that iOS 5 can not be jailbroken since Comex won't be catching flaws but also build up Apple's defense.

Or iOS 5 can be jailbroken but it will be quite longer and even longer for untethered?

Or does anyone think that there are dozens if not hundreds of people trying to release jailbreaks so Apple's attempt to stop jailbreaking by hiring Comex will be ineffective.

Note-I felt it was more appropriate to be posted in iphone general forum rather than iphone hacks not for increased views but for a more diverse group of readers.

2. BigTroll macrumors member

I was kinda worried and thinking the same thing too. Let's hope someone will step up and get it done.

3. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

1. Comex is only one person. There is the rest of the Dev Team, as well as Chronic dev, as well as various other hackers, such as i0n1c, who made the last few JBs untethered.

2. Comex was hired as an intern. He's not suddenly the leader of Apple's security team.

3. As long as there are iPhones and hackers out there, I'm sure there will be JBs, either tethered or untethered. True, we may never again see anything like jailbreakme.com, but I have a feeling that if anything, the release of iOS5 will only create more excitement amongst the dev teams and push them to work harder. Unlocks, on the other hand...

4. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

This! I don't know why people act like he was the only person in the world who could exploit weaknesses.

5. Invincibilizer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

8 billion people surely one person can fill Comex's shoe :D

I hope you are right and the hard jailbreaks(ipad 2) think it only came from comex.

Can you elaborate more about how unlocks will be affected?

6. Captain America macrumors 6502

More like: 6,958,983,265 as of this post.

7. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Sure Comex is very good at spotting security holes in order to allow IOS to be jailbroken. However, as stated already, he is only one person. There are still numerous active members in the jailbreaking community that can continue to exploit stuff that will be missed (due to human error). So no, I don't think IOS 5 jailbreaks will be harder to come by because of this.

However (and I know this is kinda off topic, but not really), I think that with OTA delta updates, IOS 5 will be able updated more frequently and easily, thus making jailbreaks last less time for each IOS version. This kind of "cat and mouse" game may discourage one side or the other. Only time will tell.

8. CHRONiC YOUTH macrumors member

Honestly it's not just about the skill but also the time ppl have to invest into creating an ios5 untether jailbreak it took comex nearly a year to release his iPad JB and it was still released prematurely.. plus apple is constantly releasing security updates and comex is their side now........ I do believe if they are able to offer an untethered JB for iOS 5 it will not be until at least 2012 and that it will probably be the only untethered jailbreak for ios5 for the whole year (similar to the iPad 2)

9. powaking macrumors 6502

powaking

I thought the last untethered jailbreak was 4.3.3? I don't think 4.3.5 jailbreak is untethered which is what everyone wants. Pretty sure at this point there's probably no sense in even attempting to make one for 4.3.5 and just wait for 5.0 to come out.

10. Invincibilizer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

It's a good thing OTA jailbreaks can be turned off and most people jailbreak and stay with it until the next numeral iteration anyways.

This is what I fear will happen or iOS5 beta tethered is altered/improved so iOS5 untethered comes out soon after iOS 5 is released but 5.0.X may be in 2012.

Yeah I think you are right.

11. d.shorty1 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

according to musclenerd's tweet, ios5 b7 has already been jailbroke (for devs only). im sure they will figure out how to make it untethered when an official version is released. as previously noted, comex was only one of many hackers

12. Invincibilizer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Sweet, looks like an untethered iOS5 should come out soon after its release. :D

I read more about Comex's hire and he did intend to become a part time intern so he can finish college. He certainly doesn't seem as intimidating as before when I thought he would head Apple's security team as an "intern" .:rolleyes:

13. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

No matter how good a person is, there's always someone better.

14. TaiO89 macrumors newbie

Anyone know if the DevTeam will be working on an unlock for iOS5 and (4.3.5 baseband 4.10) or not?

15. Invincibilizer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Anyone one know if someone else will take over jailbreakme.com? or will it never be updated again?

16. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Comex is an intern, not a full time employee. There's still the possibility that he will return to jailbreaking after his internship

17. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

There will always be a jailbreak for A4 devices thanks to the Limera1n hardware exploit so therefor I'm not concerned at all. But for future iPhone 5, iPod touch 5 and current/future iPad 2 users this is terrible news as the only A5 jailbreak was on 4.3.3.

18. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Because it's totally possible to know that!

Anyway, I think Apple "allows" a jailbreak every once in a while. The JB community is free R&D for Apple. Just look at how many now standard features were once only available via jail-breaking. Not only that, but the average iPhone user hasn't even heard about doing this. And even many of the people who are aware of it would never do it. It's the smaller group of power-users who look forward to a jailbreak. There is no reason for Apple to worry about it- we still buy the phone from them, and what we do from it there does not hurt their bottom line.

The big concern about jail-breaking is that it usually exposes a security vulnerability that was previously unknown to the public. This is why Apple rushes to put out an update in a week. That exploit that we use to jailbreak can also open up other less desirable doors.

19. Invincibilizer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

I'm sure Apple made him sign a document to prevent just that :(

Some rumors claim that the next iteration of the touch will still have the A4 chip with very minor improvements.

Are you sure its the chip that allows it, software in iOS5 can quickly plug up past exploits I guess.

20. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Not likely. His NDA will prevent him from doing so if there is ANY financial incentive involved.

In addition, iOS 5 OTA patches will also be fully possible without your approval if you connect to iTunes or iCloud, so if Apple chooses to patch iOS 5 OTA on the fly, your only option will be not to connect to any Apple services.

You already gave Apple permission to update your device without notifying you when you agreed to the iTunes TOS.

-t

21. Invincibilizer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

What happens if OTA detects iOS5 jailbroken? What will happen?

If one has iOS5 jailbroken, they wouldn't be able to use mobileme/iCloud?

So a jailbreaker would jailbreak and turn OTA off? What would be the harm of that since I have no interest in using iCloud? Would turning OTA affect someone like me?

Just a few questions, it would be nice if someone can clear them up for me :)

22. zipster macrumors 6502

Whatever happened to that jailbreak that could break ANY iPhone 4 or any iDevice running with a A4 chip?

A bunch of bull?

23. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Right now OTA updates will not work on a jailbroken phone with iOS 5 beta installed.

It's not clear if Apple will test for JB before allowing access to iCloud services or not. It was rumored to be in test internally, however I have not seen any indication in the beta releases of this feature - only that's it's possible and many believe probable.

If they block access to iCloud, I would suspect they will also block access to iTunes - so any JB phone will be an island without any Apple support.

Apple takes the JB issues as a security issue, not a control issue. I suspect you will see more efforts to prevent JB from occurring with the new update tools now available.

Remember that OTA updates can supply a 2 byte patch to any program or iOS feature. It's no longer required to do a several hour update to address iOS issues - and Apple believes that any hole that allows a JB to occur poses a security risk. You can believe they will take aggressive measures in the future to plug these holes.

Apple asks if you want to update today as much because it's a multi-hour download as anything else - not so you can deny them the ability to update your device. There is nothing in the TOS we all agreed to when signing up for iTunes accounts that prohibits them from simply updating your device when you connect to any Apple service. In fact it's expressly allowed in the TOS...

Whether the JB community can survive and continue to play the cat and mouse game successfully, or work around the lack of iTunes, App Store and iCloud services will have to be seen.

-t

24. Invincibilizer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Longer duration for jailbreaks seems like a given but blocking iTunes, App Store and iCloud from JB users seems like a stretch to me.

25. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It's still there (it's a tethered JB). The newest redsn0w 0.9.8 b7 jailbreaks the iDevices on iOS 5 beta 7.