Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

X-JRO

macrumors member
Original poster
http://store.apple.com/us

4027169453_23f1931857.jpg

http://store.apple.com/au

4027924132_c9da7e961e.jpg

You don't have to be a geniese to realize that these are outragious.

To put things into perspective
The two things to consider -

One Australian dollar will buy you 0.9282 US dollars - around 92 US cents as at OCT 20.

Additionally Australia has a GST (Goods and Services Tax) which is a value added tax of 10% on most goods and services transactions in Australia.
It was introduced by the Howard Government on 1 July 2000

The Math

Say we're buying anything in the US online are we getting it posted to Australia.

The item is 1000 US dollars.

With the current exchange rate the item is = $1,077.7600.

Therefor apple is charging US iPhone 3GS for $199 +Xrate+GST = is NO WHERE NEAR the our current $800 dollar price tag.

Aside from the exchange rate and GST what is making apple AUS SO pricy?

Now that's all said and done I'd like to ask you this:

Had anyone actually taken advantage of America's, or any other country for that matter, cheaper hardware. I buy guitars from America all the time and it's widly known that prices in Australia all ******** even with the shipping from the US to AUS.

Is it possible to run a US mac in Australia? All it would take is a power-board adapter.

Scippy

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2009
Somewhere
That's what I would think.

Are the machines actually regionally different. Couldn't I just buy another power-supply and just do it that way.

I should go into an apple store and ask them.

Apple would probably say no, because they want you to buy at the Premium.
But when you install for the first time, it asks you your location, and I'm pretty sure you can choose anywhere in the world. So it should be fine :confused:

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
You're comparing the AT&T subsizided phone rate ($199) to the completely unlocked, no subsidy aus price ($800). Not the same product.

This. And actually, Australia has the best deal, you can get the 3GS for free here.

And yes, buying stuff from the US *NOW* is a really good idea. You will pay customs of about 16% on whatever you import above $1000 but that still puts you about 25% in the black against local prices in Australia.

And another thing...no product price is pegged to the price of the exchange rate. That's just ridiculous.

Lol
You don't have to be a geniese to realize that these are outragious.

X-JRO

macrumors member
Original poster
Apple would probably say no, because they want you to buy at the Premium.
But when you install for the first time, it asks you your location, and I'm pretty sure you can choose anywhere in the world. So it should be fine :confused:

That's exactly what I was thinking!

I really want to know if anyone has done it.

I'll be saving like nearly $3000 dollars.

elliethebug

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2009
Mac Down Under

Is it possible to run a US mac in Australia? All it would take is a power-board adapter.[/FONT][/size]

Indeed I believe it is. He is why:
1) The dvd reginal settings are saved after the 10th time the DVD Drive is operated.
2) The white transformer (bulky) is built to work within the following ranges: 110-220V and 50-60 MHz.
i. As long as your electric service is provided within those ranges, all you need is the wall socket. Apple sells a set of adaptors that should have you covered worldwide.
ii. If your electric service is not within those ranges, all you need to do is buy a whole new cable and transformer set.

3) As long as you buy AppleCare, you are covered all over the world. I usually would not buy an extended warrantee but I make an exception when it comes to electronics I will be taking along as I travel (Intercontinental at least twice a year, plus domestic-So far I have come out ahead....) and Apple products because they are so expensive.
If you get one, and you want to resell the cable and plug, semd me a PM and let me know what you bought. I am looking at buying a new laptop -my MB is on the friz...- and I might be able to buy your US standard items.
Cheers,
Elisa:D:eek::)

X-JRO

macrumors member
Original poster
Indeed I believe it is. He is why:
1) The dvd reginal settings are saved after the 10th time the DVD Drive is operated.
2) The white transformer (bulky) is built to work within the following ranges: 110-220V and 50-60 MHz.
i. As long as your electric service is provided within those ranges, all you need is the wall socket. Apple sells a set of adaptors that should have you covered worldwide.
ii. If your electric service is not within those ranges, all you need to do is buy a whole new cable and transformer set.

3) As long as you buy AppleCare, you are covered all over the world. I usually would not buy an extended warrantee but I make an exception when it comes to electronics I will be taking along as I travel (Intercontinental at least twice a year, plus domestic-So far I have come out ahead....) and Apple products because they are so expensive.
If you get one, and you want to resell the cable and plug, semd me a PM and let me know what you bought. I am looking at buying a new laptop -my MB is on the friz...- and I might be able to buy your US standard items.
Cheers,
Elisa:D:eek::)

I will definitely keep you in mind!

In any case, are there Authorized resellers in the US that will ship to AUS? I know apple.com wont ship here (I think)

US Final Cut Studio is $1000 US compared to our $1499 - are programs region free also?

gretafour

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2006
Rochester, NY
While living in China last year, my PowerBook G4 died and needed replacement. I didn't buy from the Beijing apple store because it's about a $300 premium over US prices.

So, I bought my unibody MacBook on the US Amazon.com, shipped it to my friend's house in Alabama (can only ship in the US), and he brought it back to China with him after going home for Christmas.

Of course, he could have also mailed it (with plenty of packing peanuts and insurance). You know anybody in the US who would do that for you? Besides me?

Lastly, it worked fine in China (220 volts). Didn't even need a plug adapter most of the time. Good luck!

elliethebug

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2009
DVD's

Unfortunately they are not region free-they are distribute according to the region where they will be sold. Also, the SuperDrive (as all LapTop's DVD drives is not region free: the lock in is set to take place once the buyer has operated the unit ten times.

Totally with you...Makes no sense!
I do not know what Apple does but I do know I can buy from Amazon UK while in the US, and viceversa....And guess what? They do ship to AUS. Any of the Amazon resellers with a good score for Customer Satisfaction.
Good luck!
E

In any case, are there Authorized resellers in the US that will ship to AUS? I know apple.com wont ship here (I think)

US Final Cut Studio is $1000 US compared to our $1499 - are programs region free also?[/QUOTE]

xupcua

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2009
Wellington
Is there a way to buy US stuff and us it in Australia/UK?

That is exactly what I'm thinking. I'm living in New Zealand. Consider to buy a MBP 13.3" 2,26 GHZ in US. I posted 1 threat yesterday to bring the same concern. You can try http://www.myus.com or http://www.bongous.com. They will give you US postal address then these website will use DHL or UPS ship to you local address (but you have to pay tax)

Even plus import tax, it still cheaper than buy in NZ/Aus.

Pundle

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
I live in Australia and I have gone through the process of buying a MacBook from the Apple online store, getting it shipped domestically in the US, then getting it shipped to Australia. I saved over $1000 when I did it; you would stand to save even more doing it now since the exchange rate is so good.

There is no difference between the products on the US Apple store and those on the Australian one, except that US products ship with the US power plug and the Australian ones ship with an Australian one. The power adapter is the same, only the interchangeable plug is different. You can simply get a travel adapter and it will work fine. Even Apple Care is valid worldwide, unlike most competitor warranty schemes. I have claimed on my Apple Care purchased in the US while I have been in Australia with no issues.

The problem is, of course, getting it shipped. The US Apple store will not ship to Australia, nor will Amazon.com ship computers to Australia. I was fortunate in that the company I worked for had a shipping address in the US. However there are a few services out there that cater for circumstances like this. They have a US address that you can ship to, then they ship it on to your address in Australia. I haven't used one personally so I can't recommend any, but I know people who have used these services. Google and you should find a solution. (EDIT: xupcua beat me to it with some suggested services above.)

The only possible problem I can see is that some US companies won't ship an order to an address that doesn't match your credit card's billing address. I don't believe Apple does this but I could be mistaken. (EDIT: it looks like this problem is solved using the services xupcua posted.)

EDIT: On the region-free front, software DVDs are not region-locked. I have also purchased software from the US Apple store in the same order as my MacBook. Movie DVDs are region-encoded, but if you only have Region 4 Australian DVDs your MacBook will play them fine and lock its SuperDrive to Region 4. If you want to play movies from multiple regions then things get tricky.

xupcua

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2009
Wellington
Thanks Pundle for your excellent tips. I have a friend in US so definitely I'll ask them for the temporary shipping address. It could save me heaps of $$$. Now I'm just waiting for MBp refurbish on Apple Store then purchase it.

You story is very helpful Pundle. Thanks for it

Thessman

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2005
GR
I live in Australia and I have gone through the process of buying a MacBook from the Apple online store, getting it shipped domestically in the US, then getting it shipped to Australia. I saved over $1000 when I did it; you would stand to save even more doing it now since the exchange rate is so good.

There is no difference between the products on the US Apple store and those on the Australian one, except that US products ship with the US power plug and the Australian ones ship with an Australian one. The power adapter is the same, only the interchangeable plug is different. You can simply get a travel adapter and it will work fine. Even Apple Care is valid worldwide, unlike most competitor warranty schemes. I have claimed on my Apple Care purchased in the US while I have been in Australia with no issues.

The problem is, of course, getting it shipped. The US Apple store will not ship to Australia, nor will Amazon.com ship computers to Australia. I was fortunate in that the company I worked for had a shipping address in the US. However there are a few services out there that cater for circumstances like this. They have a US address that you can ship to, then they ship it on to your address in Australia. I haven't used one personally so I can't recommend any, but I know people who have used these services. Google and you should find a solution. (EDIT: xupcua beat me to it with some suggested services above.)

The only possible problem I can see is that some US companies won't ship an order to an address that doesn't match your credit card's billing address. I don't believe Apple does this but I could be mistaken. (EDIT: it looks like this problem is solved using the services xupcua posted.)

EDIT: On the region-free front, software DVDs are not region-locked. I have also purchased software from the US Apple store in the same order as my MacBook. Movie DVDs are region-encoded, but if you only have Region 4 Australian DVDs your MacBook will play them fine and lock its SuperDrive to Region 4. If you want to play movies from multiple regions then things get tricky.

The mac mini from the States comes with a 110V power supply, which means that if you have 220V you have to buy a different one, or get a transformer.

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009

or you can mod the firmware of the superdrive to make it region free...;)
Region restricted devices suck big time anyways....

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
Well, as of yesterday AU store:

And as of today:

2d9zhja.png

Point is, Apple adjust the prices of the products when they release them and keep them there until the next time. Sometimes we lose, sometimes we win. It's much more in line with US at the moment again. It's like a 20% discount across the board!

X-JRO

macrumors member
Original poster
Well, as of yesterday AU store:

And as of today:

2d9zhja.png

Point is, Apple adjust the prices of the products when they release them and keep them there until the next time. Sometimes we lose, sometimes we win. It's much more in line with US at the moment again. It's like a 20% discount across the board!

WTF When do they announce these price drops?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.