Register two different fingerprints in one touch id

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by engg2000, Sep 26, 2014.

1. engg2000 macrumors regular

I tried this for fun but I discovered it is possible to register two fingers under one Touch ID "add fingerprint" session. I actually registered my daughters and my wife's index finger in case of emergency under one Touch ID so I could use the others for myself.

Anyone else try that?

2. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

3. oliv2915 macrumors newbie

I have not gone as far as having other people's fingers added but yes, I do have more than one finger registered.

4. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

I register my whole hand in one so I only do two and all ten fingers are registered. I did this also with my 5s.

5. oliv2915 macrumors newbie

You are correct.

6. 1968 macrumors regular

Why wouldn't it work? Do you really think iOS knows who a finger belongs to?

7. Tyler23, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Yes, it's been that way since it was introduced with the 5s. You can add up to five fingerprints, it doesn't matter whose they are. You could have one for you, a spouse, and 3 kids for all it cares.

I have 4 of my fingers registered, along with my wife's thumb.

Edit: Realized myself and others misinterpreted the OP's meaning - I have never tried registering two fingers with the same Touch ID finger entry..never occurred to me to try, but interesting that it works!

8. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I have thumb and index finger of each hand registered. Have since Touch ID first came out.

Either I did a better job recording my fingerprints this time, or Touch ID has improved, because I rarely need a second try with this phone.

9. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

Exactly the same as I have it set up. And I too am surprised at how accurate it is

10. darknyt macrumors 6502a

Ditto on both, wife's thumb on mine, and I notice this Touch ID implementation is faster and more precise.

11. wermy macrumors regular

I think I know what OP is saying.

I just tried this and it worked.

Go to Touch ID and act as if you're about to add another finger. Then press one finger 'til it buzzes, press a second finger to it til it buzzes, switch back to the first finger, etc. Just switch back and forth. You'll end up with two fingers that will unlock the phone under one entry in Touch ID Settings. Kind of crazy. I just tried it with switching between my middle and ring fingers while enrolling, and now both fingers are under one enrollment entry in my phone, and both fingers unlock my phone just fine... :O

12. DelMac macrumors regular

I registered one of my Rott/Shepherd mixes paw pad prints on my iPhone 6. Couldn't stop laughing when it successfully registered. Told my family if I die they can access my phone with my dog's left paw.

13. oliv2915 macrumors newbie

That is funny.

14. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

Don't let the NSA know that. Since Apple won't unlock phones for them, they'll just steal your dog and go in that way! ;)

15. BSoares macrumors regular

I was able to register with the tip of my nose but then I couldn't get it to work reliably. Did this for winter when I have gloves on. Gloves work on the screen but not for touch id so I tried that and it didn't go too well.

16. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

17. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

Most of you fail reading. The op is saying you can register multiple fingers under ONE of the five allowed. This has been known since the 5s as you can do all 10 fingers to one entry.

18. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Eh, I skimmed.

19. 617aircav Suspended

Well of course it works. It stores fingerprints doesn't it?

20. engg2000 thread starter macrumors regular

You don't get it. I meant you can register multiple fingerprints using only one ID...alternate fingers when touching sensor.

21. PanAm-L1011 macrumors 6502

I've registered four. Love it.

22. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

Does this reduce the reliability of it at all? Since normally you'd try to get as much of the finger pad/sides/tip, but now you're using those 'slots' for other fingers altogether.