Regret not getting LTE?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by highertechnology, Mar 8, 2012.

1. highertechnology macrumors 6502

Ordered my WiFi "the New iPad" (I love saying that) and now am wondering if I should swap it for a LTE when I get it. I currently tether with my 4S when on public transportation and other Non-WiFi areas. My office has terrible 3G because of the height of my building and many sites are blocked on my company PC which forces me to stare at my phone and watch the loading bar creep along.

Anyone else torn between the two?

2. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

I'm not torn between the two.

Partly because Apple has completely ignored Europe regarding LTE. And when I say completely, I mean completely. Absolutely zero support.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I went with the LTE although I won't likely use it very often. My thinking was that I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. There will times when I am away from home on business and want to use it and not have WiFi available.

4. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I was originally going to go for the wifi only. Changed my mind when I realised I've got a lot of travelling to do over the next few months and wifi wouldn't always be available.

Wifi + 4G for me.

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

6. bmunge macrumors regular

Not torn. The pricing model for the plans is flat-out absurd given the data limits. I have Wifi at home and work, and with MiWi on my iPhone 4 I just don't see the need. It would be a nice convenience but it essentially triples the cost of the device over a 2 year period.

7. highertechnology thread starter macrumors 6502

Im with you on that note. Data costs are just insane. But I could justify 15 a month for the option. 3G is spotty and HSPA+ is to few and far between.

Although I plan on picking up "the New iPhone" which I expect to be 4G but MyWi will be locked down for a while after release.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

The other part to remember is you can leave data turned off until you need it, thus no monthly cost except on a month you actually need it.

It also looks like Verizon and AT&T are both considering family plan shared data options for sometime in 2012, but no specifics as to when. THAT would make the question a lot more interesting.

9. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

That's a good point.

I ended up going wifi though and am happy. Can get tether plan if it came down to it.

10. Smithwicks macrumors regular

I only use my ipad at home or a hotel, both of which have wifi. I'll use mywi for the rare time i need it

11. str8bucs macrumors regular

I have thought about it all night long and couldn't justify the added cost since there isn't LTE here where I live.

So I ended up the 32GB WiFi..... Good middle ground I think

12. iDrew87 macrumors member

I opted for the 64gb 4g as a security blanket incase I have no access to wifi wherever I travel to.

13. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

It is really not a matter if you have LTE in your area. It if you want cellular back up. If there is not LTE service it will do what ever GSM is available, just slower. When I purchased my 3G , I did not use it for a long time till the day came when I was in a situation where there was no WiFi and the 3G saved the day. Like others said, unless money is a huge concern, why not add it for the safety factor.

In the end everyone needs to make their own choices and Apple gives us plenty!

14. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I got the 32 GB WiFi and I'm still torn.

My options were 16 GB LTE or 32 GB WiFi as I wanted to stay around 700 bucks. In the end, I didn't want to sacrifice 16 GBs of storage on something that I may or may not use. Then of course if I never used it, I'd feel I spent an extra 129 just for the hell of it. While I have unlimited data on my 4S with the Death Star, I think I'm willing to lose it if I ever need to tether.

15. iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

I got the 4G in case I needed to be connected to the Internet and I wasn't around WiFi. I use my current 3G iPad more than I thought I would and I like the fact that no matter where I am, I always have access. Plus, a few nights ago, the power went out in a large part of my city and I was happy I could go online to find out what was going on. It also was nice because I could stream some movies and TV shows from Netflix and Hulu. Glad I have 3G and now I'm just waiting for my 4G iPad to arrive. No regrets.

16. meatling macrumors newbie

Death Star

Too funny. Have not heard AT&T referred to as the death star. Awesome.

17. CharlieBrandt09 macrumors 6502

CharlieBrandt09

Nope - I opted for more storage. The off chance I will need a data connection while not on wi-fi, I will use my 4s with MyWi and deal with the speeds.

4G is not coming to my area for a while. Maybe when the next iPhone releases it will be worth it, but not now.

18. DNAppleGold macrumors regular

I have an Ipad 3g. I bought it thinking that I could turn data on and off as needed to save money, but it was not to be the case. The problem is that with the 30 day commitment I was almost never able to turn it off. I finally decided that the data plans were just too expensive given the prevalence of WiFi at home, office, cafes, airports, and hotels, I have not turned on the survive in months. (spend 24 hours and be consciously aware of whether you cold log onto wifii).

If they offered family discounts or reasonable pay as you go plans (e.g., $50 to buy 5gs and you use whenever you want), I'd reconsider. But such data plans don't seem forthcoming.

19. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

This. If you'll never use it, it's obviously a waste, but it sure is nice to have if needed.

20. beret9987 macrumors regular

I have a tethering plan for my iPhone, so I'll just hook the iPad up to it when I'm out of wi-fi range, which is rarely. No regrets about not getting LTE personally.

21. avr146300 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think the antenna along the top looks pretty bad a$$. Maybe that's worth the extra $130 by its self?? :)

22. mszpara macrumors regular

I went WiFi only, no regret (yet)
    I just don't see a need. I have WiFi at home and at work, and when i'm commuting/traveling I can tether to iPhone

23. ivan2002 macrumors regular

AND a (RED) leather cover, AND AplleCare+ :cool:

My motto is: either go to the max, or go the cheapest - which in my case here would mean to just stick with sharing the iPad 2 with the rest of my family. :rolleyes:

Anything in between is bound to be a regret of some kind. :D

24. barkomatic macrumors 68040

No one's order has shipped yet, so why would you need to wait to receive your wifi iPad in order to return it? Just cancel the order and replace it with the LTE version.

I got the LTE since I like having options. Probably will use it one month a year.

25. ivan2002 macrumors regular

There are a bunch of pretty cool apps that make use of GPS. WiFi only doesn't have it. Also, your iPhone doesn't have LTE.