Regreting not getting a Desktop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Phat Demon, May 28, 2013.

1. Phat Demon macrumors newbie

About a month ago I purchased a 13" MacBook Pro with Retina display. I love the laptop and I think it works great however I sort of regret that I didn't get an iMac instead and my 14 days are well over.

I just want to know what I can do to fell less bad about my choice. I got it thinking I'd like the portability but I have yet to take it out of the house. When I play WoW it gets hot and I can't find a comfortable set up for it. I've tried external displays and it is cumbersome and none of mine are good. I can't afford a Thunderbolt Display right now and All this money on accessories I should have just bought an iMac. Don't get me wrong it is an AMAZING computer the best I have ever owned but I want to be more happy about my purchase...

2. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Stating you play WoW, would the 15inch have been a better choice? Also, if you truly regret the purchase I would personally sell it ASAP and take a small loss then purchase an iMac. It sounds like you would be happier.

If you don't want to go that route and want to feel better about the MBP. Take it out, go play WoW at a cafe. Bring it places. I'm sure you won't regret it then.

3. AreYouAMac macrumors regular

I regret getting a 27" and not buying the 17". Can't bring a desktop to Starbucks now can ya!

4. Phat Demon thread starter macrumors newbie

I mean I know gaming is not Macs main function but WoW is fully supported and it is the only computer game I play and I vastly prefer OS X to windows and the iLife suite.

I was thinking about getting an Mstand and magic mouse/keyboard for the house to get a good desktop feel at home and then if I do take it somewhere I'll still have my stuff since I'd have one computer instead of a desktop and laptop.

I love this laptop honestly the ONLY reason I regret not getting a desktop is my WoW experience on a notebook isn't as good as I hoped (I'd only ever played on desktops)

There is good though. It looks amazing running at the Retina resolution however that makes it hot and I can't play and I worry about it (and my fingers). If I run SMC fan control and put the settings on fair and halve the resolution and cap the FPS at 30 it doesn't get that hot but it's a shame I have to do that when it looks so damn good on the max resolution and on Good setting but it burns my fingers (and I worry about the CPU).

Thanks for responding guys. I still feel bad though...

5. ytk macrumors regular

[​IMG]

6. locust76 macrumors 6502a

Start writing an important document on your Macbook. Now go to your circuit breaker and cut the power to the room.

Continue writing that important document knowing that a Desktop would be absolutely useless at that point and may have actually lost data.

7. Phat Demon thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a good point :)

On a side note how sturdy are MacBooks? I want to take it to class so I can play WoW while the Professor lectures...er I mean do work...but I'm scared even with it's case to put it in my bookbag with my big ass Fed Tax book.

Sorry if my posts have seemed poorly written I have a HORRIBLE headache...

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Do people really use desktops without a UPS these days? :confused:

9. DollFaceDork macrumors 6502

DollFaceDork

I found having a hard shell case on it and in a soft case in my bag was always fine, and mine normally goes in my handbag and was under my arm in stuffed corridors when I went to university.

Having both was more for peace of mind for me.

10. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Um, I don't :eek:. In fact I don't know many people in the UK (Residential only) that do.

11. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I would imagine a lot of people don't. Although I do use an APC UPS for my stuff.

12. DollFaceDork macrumors 6502

DollFaceDork

13. Phat Demon thread starter macrumors newbie

So all in all is it worth it to sell it and get an iMac or do you think in time I won't regret it and I'll be happy with the MacBook Pro? Another thing is this is the first notebook I've ever had my whole life up to this point I've only had desktops so I think another part of it is not being used to notebooks.

14. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Me neither (in the States here).

Uninterruptible power supply

This really depends on your use case. I've owned both. I vastly prefer desktops myself, but found notebooks very useful when I'm moving around a lot (i.e. in school, etc).

15. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Uninterrupted Power Supply. Basically a battery which provides say 30mins of power during a power outage to let you save your work.

16. DollFaceDork macrumors 6502

DollFaceDork

Oh I see, thanks for that.

I'm in the UK and do not use one. I'm in the habit of backing up my work periodically especially when it's something important.

17. ytk macrumors regular

Sure. Lots of people don't do regular backups either. Doesn't mean it's a good idea.

18. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I had a drive go corrupt on me once when the power suddenly went out. From that point on I figured $75 was a small price to pay to avoid going through that again.

19. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

MacOS X and many apps are quite good nowadays at surviving power cuts without data loss.

20. DollFaceDork macrumors 6502

DollFaceDork

I'm 26 and far from being senile but I will forever back up my work.

It would be my luck for the app to fail on me :p

21. Phat Demon thread starter macrumors newbie

So should I feel bad about getting the MacBook instead of the iMac? Or did I make a good choice?

22. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Considering how cheap UPSes are, you are doing yourself a disservice.

23. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Honestly we can't tell you how to feel. We can only offer our opinions (which we have). It's ultimately up to you to determine whether or not it was a good purchase.

If you are unhappy with the MacBook, just sell it and get an iMac. You have experienced the MacBook for awhile now, so the decision shouldn't be hard.

24. Phat Demon thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry you have and I apologize I really appreciate the help. I don't know that I would be able to sell my MacBook for enough. I bought it for $1,700 and the 21" iMac is like $1,300

I'm thinking about saving a bit getting a Thunderbolt display. That way it's like using an iMac at home and when I go to class, starbucks, a friends, my parents, I can unplug it and take it. Is that a good way to go?

25. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Precisely. Plus if you have a good enough UPS, it can help protect against voltage spikes, dirty power and such. Which as you said, is a small price to pay to protect your very expensive equipment.

Money well spent IMO.