Regular Bluray burner in Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by alphaod, Sep 13, 2009.

1. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I know the Mac Pro uses a smaller bezel for their tray loaders, so would regular retail drive work? I know I can remove the bezel, but if I don't have to I won't.

I'm looking at the Pioneer 8x burner right now.

2. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Any standard Bluray burner will work as long as you remove the front bezel otherwise it wont be able to eject. Also make sure you have an 09 Mac Pro if not your Bluray burner which is most probably SATA interferface will need to have an adapter from SATA to PATA. I have a BD burner (LG) that burns at 8x speeds perfectly. Should definitely work.

3. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Blu-Ray SATA burners work on the 2006-2008 MPs as well. You have to plug them into one of the ODD SATA ports on the logic board in the PCIe bay under the fan unit.

If you want to run it under Bootcamp you need to install AHCI drivers.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=760482

4. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes, the ones I'm looking at are all SATA. I think I might just transplant the bezel on my currently "SuperDrive" onto the Bluray burner (since I'll only be using one optical drive, not two).

And I don't worry about Boot Camp, since that's not a feature in OS X Server ;)

5. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

Should I buy the Pioneer BDR-203BKS

Or the LG BH08LS20

They're both the same price, same Bluray recording speeds, the LG has better ratings (but less of them), faster CD recording speed, and the Pioneer has lower rating (but more of them), slightly slower CD recording speed, but double the cache. Yes I still record CDs.

6. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

Is it not possible to to extend some SATA and power cables to one of the 4 bays inside the mac pros (2006)? Its the same as the ones underneath the fan unit, right?

Also;

would burning a BD-R with files of documents and stuff show up on a mac pro the same as burning a dvd with files of documents? I'm interested in buying a Bluray burner for backing up important projects of mine with graphic design as well as photography, but i'd prefer to have certain things on a single disk.

Thanks!

7. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Pioneer has the best rep. <shrug>

Sure that will work but why rip it off from a bay when there's two open and unused right there under the fan like gugucom said?

I think it's the same yes. But I don't think BR is very good for backups. I mean you can get a eSATA shuttle for about $75 and a 1.5TB HDD for $100. So the HDD is about the same price (actually a little cheaper) as the BRDs are and it's many times faster! And the HDD isn't subject to failing weeks later, getting scratched, and etc. like the BRDs are. I dunno off hand what the shelf life of an HDD is but I bet it's an order of magnitude longer than a BRD.

I dunno maybe I'm still smarting from choosing CD/DVD as a backup solution for myself. I thought like you did. Yeah! DVDs are what I want! Now 6 years later I have 2,300 DVDs, no cataloging system, hundreds of hours wasted (over that of using HDDs instead), I've had to replace the DVD burner about 5 times, and just about 20% of the time I pull out a DVD for access or restore the sucker has errors. What a totally crappy BU system that turned out to be! :mad: I'm guessing BRDs are going to be the same thing - not very good as a back-up solution. If I think about that is terms of money I've spent about $1500 on a slow and poor BU solution when less that that would have been faster and better. Now looking at the task of transferring all 2,300 DVDs over to just 6 $100 HDDs my lack of foresight seems glaringly obvious.

8. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

The MP has only two 5,25" ODD bays but four 3,5" HDD bays. Power for ODD can be used directly from the ODD bay (if SATA is needed for 2006 MP a small 2$ adapter Molex->SATA will do).

The SATA data cable needs to come from one of the unused ODD SATA ports under the fan unit.

9. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

Is it difficult getting into that port?

10. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

Problem with an external HDD is that I don't want a 3.5" external, its not really portable (requires a power outlet and usually needs an adapter, which adds to the bulk of 'portability') so for now, a 500gb 2.5" will do (or 640gb if i can find one).

I mainly want bluray to stash away photoshoots to disc, ones which use more than 8.5gb (dvd-dl), or tv episodes to watch on my mac, or photos/videos from vacation.

11. Capt. Corduroy macrumors newbie

Looking at installing a Blu-ray burner myself in my Mac Pro 2009. I was wondering, are these drives bootable? Is there a Blu-ray drive I could use a as replacement for the stock DVD drive? I want to use the other bay for a hard drive.

FYI, I want to use the drive with FCS 2009. Sorry to hear about your bad experiences with DVD backup Tesselator. :(

Thanks people.

12. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Not really if you have some basic experience with your machine or have a manual. On the 2006 you need to pull out the RAM risers, loosen the RAM cage, take out the heat sink cover, loosen the Philips screw that holds the fan unit and pull up the fan unit.

Then you need to pull out the ODD drive bay holder. Thread a 60 cm SATA cable with 90° head through the bulk head opening that is used for all other cables from the PSU to the logic board. If you have difficulties temporarily remove the bridge with the 22 pin female #1 HDD SATA conector. Then it gets much easier to get the straight connector with the cable through from the logic bord side. It would be much more difficult to thread the cable with the 90° connector from the PSU/Optical Drive bay.

Seat the SATA cable in the ODD SATA port of your choice and reassemble in reverse order until your RAM risers are seated again.

Fit your Blu-Ray ROM or Burner in the ODD tray and connect the Molex power cable with a Molex-> SATA adapter. Fit the SATA data cable. Re insert your ODD drive carrier/tray.

I recommend the current LG drives. They work really good and they are competitively priced. They also work well with OS X.

Do not expect to boot ODs from the drive. EFI is not capable to do that because it expects OD boot from IDE.

13. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

In the Nehalem they are bootable. You can replace the supperdrive with a Blu-Ray directly.

14. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

You don't need to loosen the the RAM cage at all. It's just two simple steps to get to the ports. And if you don't have mammoth hands it's zero steps and directly accessible - kinda. Ya, gotta monkey around a bit tho.

The two steps if you have man-hands are:

1. Remove the aluminum cover located over the CPUs.
    2. unscrew and pull out the Front Fan assembly.
    And the ports are right there.

15. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

To remove that alu cover you will find loosing the RAM cage feasible. ;)

16. Capt. Corduroy macrumors newbie

Thanks!

17. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Feasible in this way meaning convenient? Actually not. My RAM cage is frozen shut - ooo that sounds so dirty! :D But all seriousness aside, indeed not a single screw associated with the RAM cage on my 2006 MP is unscrewable. They're like, cemented on or something - impossible to remove without drilling them out. And I've heard this from numerous others as well. Even the original step tutorial written in mid 2006 said his were impossible too.

Luckily the RAM cage poses no obstacle what-so-ever and doesn't need to be messed with at all. Not for CPU exchange, and for sure not for those cable connectors.

YMMV, mine didn't.

18. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Apple usually secure all screws with a bit of blue Loctite. :D You know how over enthusiastic some people get when they can deal out expensive stuff. The same applies to thermal grease with some service engineers. So I guess you got one of those where the factory manager was scatching his head that Joe Ching was out of his monthly allocation of Loctite after three days. :p

19. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

Alright I just ordered the Pioneer Bluray burner; NewEgg let me add it to cart and then miraculously they sold out when I tried to check out. Oh well my luck. Ended up getting it from OWC for a couple more.

I also ordered 20 25GB BD-R disks, 10 50GB BD-R disk, and 2 50GB BD-RE disks. Damn these disks are expensive.

20. ehlfg macrumors newbie

I just transferred an LG Blu-Ray drive from my PC to my 2008 Mac Pro. Used a SATA-IDE adapter, as I didn't want to bother with routing SATA cable.

There were a few gotchas, though:

• Had to pop off the tray bezel. OWC has a video showing how to do this.
    • I wanted to use both the Blu-Ray drive and one of the original optical drives, but the spacing between connectors on the IDE cable was too short to work with the new drives. I wanted to avoid running new cable, so I used a 2" IDE extension cable to increase the connector spacing.
    • The 2" IDE cable I got (from EBay) had pin 20 (key) present in the connectors, so it wouldn't fit into the Apple IDE connector (which had a blocked pin 20). I had to remove pin 20 on the extension connector.

21. ntux macrumors member

I also think that's the best solution for 2006-2008 Mac Pros, as you retain booting from the optical drive (something you don't have on with ODD SATA on the pre nehalem Mac Pros, unless you do some AHCI voodoo), and blu-ray playback in Windows is still working (AFAIK, haven't personnally tested).

I'm also considering that option (I've bough sata-ide adapters on ebay, but I'm waiting for BR drives to get cheaper as that's not urgent for me) for my 2008 MP. On top of that, it would leave the ODD SATA connectors free for, say, Intel X25-M Raid 0 on the 2nd optical bay ;)

22. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

IMHO that will not work. It was exactly what I tried first and found out I had to have a SATA connection with AHCI to have play back.

The AHCI voodoo isn't really so bad once you have it sorted out. I do it in 5 minutes now. It took me less than that to do my uMBP when I put Win7 on it.

23. ntux macrumors member

Hum ...
    After reading a post on apple's discussions forums, I was under the impression that it also worked with PATA connections (on 2008 Mac Pros, at least).

Ehlfg, have you tested BR playback in bootcamp using the ide adapter ? (maybe it's a thing with the 2006 MPs, aka the cursed ones ;):D )

24. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Of course the only way to find out is to try it but I think it should work fine. My IDE is fully functional under boot-camp Windows in XP, Vista 32, and Vista 64 on a 2006 MacPro.

I've had the Superdrive fully recognized. I currently have a Pioneer CD/DVD unit and also this thing:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

and they both work fine. <shrug>

25. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Actually the question was about Blu-Ray play back. Are you doing that with your IDE set up? I thought you do only superdrive apps.