Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ehlfg

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2008
Ehlfg, have you tested BR playback in bootcamp using the ide adapter ? (maybe it's a thing with the 2006 MPs, aka the cursed ones ;):D )

I haven't installed bootcamp yet, unfortunately, so I can't say whether BR playback works.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Actually the question was about Blu-Ray play back. Are you doing that with your IDE set up? I thought you do only superdrive apps.

That's why I said the only way to find out was to try it. Please quote the entire post next time and don't take it out of context. Thanks.

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
That's why I said the only way to find out was to try it. Please quote the entire post next time and don't take it out of context. Thanks.

NP, will do. This was just to make things clearer. I had no intention to piss you off. So take my apology if my ettikette have failed me.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
NP, will do. This was just to make things clearer. I had no intention to piss you off. So take my apology if my ettikette have failed me.

Sure NP, I probably took it too strongly. I'm a bit paranoid in that regard. My experience shows me that people form little sub-agendas based on whether or not someone agrees with them or not. Since there were a few threads I corrected you in recently I naturally went for the worst case explanation.

Sorry about that. :D

Anyway, back on topic I don't see why a BRD wouldn't work over IDE with adaptor or otherwise. To find out for sure I guess it needs to be actually tested.

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
Sure NP, I probably took it too strongly. I'm a bit paranoid in that regard. My experience shows me that people form little sub-agendas based on whether or not someone agrees with them or not. Since there were a few threads I corrected you in recently I naturally went for the worst case explanation.

Sorry about that. :D

Anyway, back on topic I don't see why a BRD wouldn't work over IDE with adaptor or otherwise. To find out for sure I guess it needs to be actually tested.

Unless I did something terribly wrong that is exactly what I did the first day after I bought my used MP1,1. I actually bought a genuine IDE Blu-Ray ROM because the MP only had IDE. When I tested the thing with the evaluation program it told me to use AHCI. That at least is my memory of the story back some months in April I believe. I did not check if you can get AHCI with IDE because that appeared a waste of time compared to returning the drive and taking a SATA drive which I got even cheaper. I was aware that the MP1,1 had ODD-SATA ports and went through the AHCI voodoo at that time. It took me a week to figure it out from scatch by reading the hackintosh forums.

ntux

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2008
I've just installed a LG BH08LS20 sata blu-ray burner in my 2008 Mac Pro, using a sata-to-ide adapter, and it works !

I replaced the stock superdrive with the LG, using an ide adapter (SunplusIT SATALink SPIF223A-HL022 chipset), and also have a pata 3.5" hd in the 2nd optical bay (set to cable select).

The blu-ray drive was as-is correctly identified by snow leopard (BR burning capabilities too), is bootable, and is capable of blu-ray playback in bootcamp.

The only issue I had wasn't due to the drive, but to the Apple 8800GT that doesn't seems to be HDCP compliant (the nvidia drivers in bootcamp are saying that my monitor is compliant (true), but not the graphic card, WTF APPLE ????? ). I'm not the only one noticing that, it seems ... That's a shame (but sadly not the first surprise from Apple regarding graphics cards :mad::mad::mad:).

I had to install AnyDVD to remove the hdcp protection, but once done, blu-ray playback from the sata drive with the ide adapter was flawless.

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
So you connected a BRD to the IDE and it didn't work? Didn't work in bootcamp, OSX, or both?

I missed that question, Tess. I originally had an IDE drive in a 2006 MP which I could not get to work. I then exchanged it to a SATA drive which ran both in Bootcamp Windows and OS X (both with AHCI driver). Obviously I did not get BD play back under OS X but only under Windows. I did not get ODD booting from that SATA drive. So ntux's solution looks advantageous to me. I was using the Cyber link 7.3 software which came with the drive. It is a terrible piece of junk. It looks like the anyDVD is much better.

I am now upgrading to a 2009 machine and the LG SATA BD ROM will be my only ODD in that machine. The 2009 MP has no IDE.

Nadav35

macrumors member
May 18, 2008
You R So Wrong!

Not really if you have some basic experience with your machine or have a manual. On the 2006 you need to pull out the RAM risers, loosen the RAM cage, take out the heat sink cover, loosen the Philips screw that holds the fan unit and pull up the fan unit.

Then you need to pull out the ODD drive bay holder. Thread a 60 cm SATA cable with 90° head through the bulk head opening that is used for all other cables from the PSU to the logic board. If you have difficulties temporarily remove the bridge with the 22 pin female #1 HDD SATA conector. Then it gets much easier to get the straight connector with the cable through from the logic bord side. It would be much more difficult to thread the cable with the 90° connector from the PSU/Optical Drive bay.

Seat the SATA cable in the ODD SATA port of your choice and reassemble in reverse order until your RAM risers are seated again.

Fit your Blu-Ray ROM or Burner in the ODD tray and connect the Molex power cable with a Molex-> SATA adapter. Fit the SATA data cable. Re insert your ODD drive carrier/tray.

I recommend the current LG drives. They work really good and they are competitively priced. They also work well with OS X.

Do not expect to boot ODs from the drive. EFI is not capable to do that because it expects OD boot from IDE.

Thats funny, while true, they aren't used in bootcamp, I have no trouble booting off of them through the ODD_PORTS on my mac pro to boot up MAC OS X SNOW LEOPARD. They work perfectly!!! You are wrong. Maybe you have an older mac pro, but in my 2008 my two blu-ray drives work great and bootable(OS X ONLY) while plugged into the two ODD SATA ports. PLEASE stop saying they don't work, when they really do.

And I think Apple is releasing in bootcamp 3.1 drivers for the two ODD SATA ports anyway.. an inside person told me this.

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
I can confirm that I can boot from an optical drive connected to one of the extra SATA connectors under the fan enclosure on my 2008 Mac Pro.

I never had a 2008 model and went by the experience with the 2006 model. I may have jumped to the conclusion that the lack of booting from SATA ODD drives applies to the 2008 as well.

I do know that the 2008 got a new EFI64 and it is entirely possible that Apple already included a SATA boot capability in that EFI. They did not use it in the hardware spec for a year until they finally switched to SATA drives in the 2009 machine. It looks like I have been to negative there. I apologise if someone made bad decisions based on my postings. These things are not easy to understand at least if you do not have all hardware models to test.

The advantage of this forum is that we can all contribute to the truth. So thanks for bringing this up.

Dark Goob

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
Portland, OR
LG BH08LS20 in Mac Pro 2009

I put an LG BH08LS20 into my Mac Pro (2009). Previously I was using it via external USB -> SATA adapter with a MacBook Pro (6/'07) with no issues. Great drive! Though, for some reason burning with the Mac Pro and Toast 10.0.2 I was getting kernel panics similar to those described here, but I'm not convinced it's related to the drive itself in any way, since I know of two other people who have had this issue, and in their cases they were not using this drive.

One note: I did custom-flash the firmware of this drive so that it is now seen as BH08NS20; it's flashed using MediaCodeSpeedEdit in Windows, with the firmware from the Buffalo BR-H816. This firmware allows the drive faster speeds and ability to burn to the cheaper CenDyne BD-R media, which runs ~USD$100 for 50 discs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.