Reinstalling iOS 6.1.3 on 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JhnDgh, Feb 14, 2015.

1. JhnDgh macrumors newbie

My iPhone 4S (currently on 6.1.3) has gotten corrupt for whatever reason and now hangs on boot. The iPhone has never been jailbroken or altered by third party methods. Is there any way for me to restore functionality apart from upgrading to the latest iOS 8?

Jailbreak? SHSH extraction and injection? Any thing?

More information:
    OS X 10.5.8 (PPC)
    iTunes 10.6.3

2. Let My heart go macrumors newbie

Obsolete ios

I think that there is no way to install obsolete ios on device with cpu more new than A4 (begining from ipad 2 and iphone 4s).
    However Apple might remain iphone 4s and ipad 2 with ios 6.1.2, which was the best for iDevice with A5 cpu.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Apple has stopped signing anything earlier than iOS 8.1.3 for iPhone 4S and later devices.

4. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

Nope, this has been asked millions of times before.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If you restore your phone, you'll end up with iOS 8.1.3. There are no other choices at this point.

6. 938092 Suspended

I'd be really surprised if your iPhone was actually bricked.

Have you tried entering DFU and then exiting? Hard resets/reboots? Usually this sort of thing can fix it.

7. JhnDgh thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried numerous reboots and restarts with zero progress. The phone simply froze while using Safari and just got stuck in the boot loop. Funny thing is, when I attempt a restore it downloads 6.1.3 and then gives me an error.

Was hoping for a third party fix as I kept from upgrading to retain advertised sync functionality with my Mac.

8. Jamiet361 macrumors member

You could try using semi-restore, it has worked for me in the past and restores to the firmware you were currently using.

I think it's aimed more towards jailbroken phones, but at this point its worth a try if nothing else will work!

You'll need a PC/Mac that runs Windows or Linux to run it though; pretty sure it doesn't support PowerPC.

9. JhnDgh thread starter macrumors newbie

Willing to try it. Have access to a Windows PC.

10. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

For that to work, you would need a jailbroaken phone, so no luck there, I guess.

11. JhnDgh thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there no way for me to Jailbreak my phone in its current state?

12. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

Pfffff, I don't think so, but since you don't have much to lose, it might be worth a try. At the end of the day, 8.1.3 is waiting for you anyway :)

13. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Yeah 8.1.3 will only cripple his 4S and turn it into a brick.

14. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

Well, that's only your opinion. But it will still work, right :)

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You said it's not jb right?
    Why don't you try an erase all content.
    That should remove everything on the phone and still keep it on the iOS version it's on right now.
    Sorry you said it won't boot? Then you're out of luck.
    Your only option is to restore it with itunes to the latest iOS.

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Jailbreaking an iPhone that won't boot will not be possible. All the jailbreak apps require a properly working iPhone and interaction with the iPhone through iTunes in order to function.

Even if the OP had that, all jailbreaking does is modify things, it won't magically "fix" anything that's already broken.

17. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

Agreed, but why not play a bit, 8.1.3 is inevitable, right :)

18. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

That is simply wrong. I have a friend who is running the latest OS on his 4S and it is still smooth in operation.

19. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

Ha unfortunately once apple stopped signing it you need to upgrade to whatever is the latest iOS supported.

Attached Files:

20. viperGTS macrumors 65816

If you're on 6.1.3, (which I'm assuming you're on), just jailbreak and run Semi Restore.

21. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Doubt that. Older devices such as the 4S do not handle iOS 8 well. I haw played with a 4S running iOS 8 and it was awful. That's why people are foolish to upgrade their phones.

22. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

But how do you do that if the phone won't boot?!

That's the OP's problem. The phone fails to boot.

23. stevemiller macrumors 65832

if you're going to call people foolish, then you should be calling out apple for making it impossible retain the "optimal" OS for a given device in situations like the op's.

how about this:

if apple claims security considerations prevent them from allowing people to roll back, then they should immediately disable anyone's device until they update to the latest OS. and if the device is no longer supported, then the devices should be bricked permanently. after all how is a device that wasn't updated any safer than one that was updated and then rolled back?

24. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

It is your right to doubt all you want. I actually handled the phone and it worked just fine. So in my opinion it is not the most ideal situation but a 4S will run ok on the latest OS.

25. viperGTS macrumors 65816

They suggest that the device can turn on, which is all you need :) From there, just force the device into DFU mode. DFU mode should be able to bypass any software-related boot hangups.