Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JhnDgh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2015
My iPhone 4S (currently on 6.1.3) has gotten corrupt for whatever reason and now hangs on boot. The iPhone has never been jailbroken or altered by third party methods. Is there any way for me to restore functionality apart from upgrading to the latest iOS 8?

Jailbreak? SHSH extraction and injection? Any thing?

More information:
OS X 10.5.8 (PPC)
iTunes 10.6.3

Let My heart go

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2014
Obsolete ios

I think that there is no way to install obsolete ios on device with cpu more new than A4 (begining from ipad 2 and iphone 4s).
However Apple might remain iphone 4s and ipad 2 with ios 6.1.2, which was the best for iDevice with A5 cpu.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
My iPhone 4S (currently on 6.1.3) has gotten corrupt for whatever reason and now hangs on boot. The iPhone has never been jailbroken or altered by third party methods. Is there any way for me to restore functionality apart from upgrading to the latest iOS 8?

Jailbreak? SHSH extraction and injection? Any thing?

More information:
OS X 10.5.8 (PPC)
iTunes 10.6.3

If you restore your phone, you'll end up with iOS 8.1.3. There are no other choices at this point.

appleincognito

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2014
I'd be really surprised if your iPhone was actually bricked.

Have you tried entering DFU and then exiting? Hard resets/reboots? Usually this sort of thing can fix it.

JhnDgh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2015
I'd be really surprised if your iPhone was actually bricked.

Have you tried entering DFU and then exiting? Hard resets/reboots? Usually this sort of thing can fix it.

Tried numerous reboots and restarts with zero progress. The phone simply froze while using Safari and just got stuck in the boot loop. Funny thing is, when I attempt a restore it downloads 6.1.3 and then gives me an error.

Was hoping for a third party fix as I kept from upgrading to retain advertised sync functionality with my Mac.

Jamiet361

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2013
Leeds, UK
You could try using semi-restore, it has worked for me in the past and restores to the firmware you were currently using.

I think it's aimed more towards jailbroken phones, but at this point its worth a try if nothing else will work!

You'll need a PC/Mac that runs Windows or Linux to run it though; pretty sure it doesn't support PowerPC.

JhnDgh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2015
You could try using semi-restore, it has worked for me in the past and restores to the firmware you were currently using.

I think it's aimed more towards jailbroken phones, but at this point its worth a try if nothing else will work!

You'll need a PC/Mac that runs Windows or Linux to run it though; pretty sure it doesn't support PowerPC.

Willing to try it. Have access to a Windows PC.

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
Pfffff, I don't think so, but since you don't have much to lose, it might be worth a try. At the end of the day, 8.1.3 is waiting for you anyway :)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You said it's not jb right?
Why don't you try an erase all content.
That should remove everything on the phone and still keep it on the iOS version it's on right now.
Sorry you said it won't boot? Then you're out of luck.
Your only option is to restore it with itunes to the latest iOS.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Pfffff, I don't think so, but since you don't have much to lose, it might be worth a try. At the end of the day, 8.1.3 is waiting for you anyway :)
Jailbreaking an iPhone that won't boot will not be possible. All the jailbreak apps require a properly working iPhone and interaction with the iPhone through iTunes in order to function.

Even if the OP had that, all jailbreaking does is modify things, it won't magically "fix" anything that's already broken.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
Ha unfortunately once apple stopped signing it you need to upgrade to whatever is the latest iOS supported.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 70

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
If you're on 6.1.3, (which I'm assuming you're on), just jailbreak and run Semi Restore.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
That is simply wrong. I have a friend who is running the latest OS on his 4S and it is still smooth in operation.

Doubt that. Older devices such as the 4S do not handle iOS 8 well. I haw played with a 4S running iOS 8 and it was awful. That's why people are foolish to upgrade their phones.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Doubt that. Older devices such as the 4S do not handle iOS 8 well. I haw played with a 4S running iOS 8 and it was awful. That's why people are foolish to upgrade their phones.

if you're going to call people foolish, then you should be calling out apple for making it impossible retain the "optimal" OS for a given device in situations like the op's.

how about this:

if apple claims security considerations prevent them from allowing people to roll back, then they should immediately disable anyone's device until they update to the latest OS. and if the device is no longer supported, then the devices should be bricked permanently. after all how is a device that wasn't updated any safer than one that was updated and then rolled back?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

It is your right to doubt all you want. I actually handled the phone and it worked just fine. So in my opinion it is not the most ideal situation but a 4S will run ok on the latest OS.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
But how do you do that if the phone won't boot?!

That's the OP's problem. The phone fails to boot.

They suggest that the device can turn on, which is all you need :) From there, just force the device into DFU mode. DFU mode should be able to bypass any software-related boot hangups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.