Relationship between Rock and Cydia

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by james92se, Aug 25, 2010.

1. james92se macrumors 6502a

I've always used Cydia, but when I got MyWi a couple weeks ago, it installed Rock.

They've seemed to BOTH show updates for apps/settings of mine. But lately they're showing sort of mismatching updates/changes.

I updated iNzoSB a while back through Cydia, but now Rock has shown that there's an update for iNzoSB, but every time I've tried to update it through Rock, it fails. It's been like a week now. Cydia shows no update for iNzoSB. So now I have a constant notification on Rock that bugs me.

It looks like both Cydia and Rock show the apps/settings I have installed, so I'm confused as to their relationship to eachother, I guess.

It's kind of annoying that I have to mess with both of these. Do I have to deal with Rock as long as I want/have MyWi?

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

there is no relationship between the two. the way you know this isif you purchase something from Cydia you deal with the Cydia and Vice Versa. Beyond that I not going to say anything since I don't use or like Rock.

3. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Here is an updated repo for the iNzoSB theme:

http://neoziro.free.fr/cydia/

Add it to your sources in Cydia.

There is a newer version (1.2.0) of the theme there than what was available at the old repo before it went out of date.

S-

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

They are similar programs, they are a front end to apt-get, they both manage packages and they depend on the repositories you got installed, if they share the same repositories, they will show you the same updates, if they don't, them well..you guessed it...they will not show you the same updates.

the bigest problem with these two is the Cydia relay on MobileSubtrate for it Dinamic Libraries, while Rock uses RockExtensions, these two set of libraries don't play nice to each other (sometime having a totally different implementation for the same function) which can cause problem on your system.

5. james92se thread starter macrumors 6502a

So am I stuck with Rock?

I don't really like Rock, and I didn't realize that I would get stuck with it. I like Cydia much better, but was just confused since they were showing sort of mismatching updates. Plus, Rock shows a PDF patch from Saurik and whatnot, and I thought Saurik was the Cydia guy, so I was really confused by it all.

Sidewinder, thanks for the updated repo... do I need to remove the cydia.neoziro.com repo?

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

If you got MyWi you are currently Stuck with Rock yes, Developer is working on a Rock free version that should be release soon, maybe they will offer you an upgrade to that one, so you could get rid of Rock.

7. GodlyDan macrumors newbie

GodlyDan

There is currently a Rock free version available through repo.beyouriphobe.com i recommend that one if you dont want rock

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

There not currently official version of MyWi without Rock, we don't support or discuss cracked app on here.

9. ipader macrumors member

Now that I updated MyWi on Cydia, can I now remove ROCK? I started having various issues with my phone (4 V4.01) the last few weeks and would prefer to eliminate Rock- Is it needed? What is the best way to remove ROCK.

10. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Go into Cydia and Remove it.

11. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Once you transfers your licenses and update using cydia, you can remove rock. You may want to check out this thread where a lot of people are sharing what they did to remove Rock.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=11051827#post11051827