Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Although I lurk around about once a month here nowadays, I'm still doing work on this theme, mainly because I hate leaving things unfinished . My rants about insecure lads needing to be "first" from late last year aside, I've shared my recent updates with AmazingHenry (which constitute a nearly completed theme), and hopefully he will issue an update soon. I've corrected a lot of the resource color issues from the original theme, and changed a whole slew of other resources I left out of the original theme. Thanks to AphoticD for catching and fixing my Spotlight theming glitch and his icon packs, and thanks to Zappaesque for mentioning MacGizmo, RapidOStart, Imagine Boot X, and his WaitingForWindowServer tweak. Cool stuff, mates. Here are some recent screenshots from my 667 Mhz TiBook VGA (including AphoticD's fix):

picture1.png

picture2.png

picture3.png

picture4.png

I have a few things left to do, like fix inactive window resources, slim down the progress bars (thanks to SST and his modified Extras.rsrc for the clues. I'll use my own assets with proper masks and transparency, thank you, so no need for you to worry), text box shaping, and other very minor things, and this thing will be done as best as it can be.

This looks great! I mentioned on another post about porting LeopardRebirth Remover across to Tiger for this theme.

Once you’re ready with the theme’s packaged installer all ready to roll, send me a copy. I can prepare an uninstall file list and package up the uninstaller with factory 10.4.11 multilingual resources to include with the distribution.
[doublepost=1506338850][/doublepost]I should also note that my icon pack files seem a bit light-on because CandyBar 2 appeared to strip all >128x128 resources.

I will have to revisit the process and repackage for higher definition.

I only noticed this after installing across about 4 Macs. I thought maybe those clever lads at Panic came up with a super duper lossless compression algorithm for icon files and then noticed things were a bit blurry in the cmd-tab app switcher. (Oops!)

zappaesque

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2017
Looks killer! This is fascinating stuff, and I can only imagine the gargantuan effort it takes to build something like this. Can’t wait to see the end result!

My own tweaks are just finding apps that approximate later OS functionality and icon stuff, but thanks for the mention just the same :)

Speaking of Henry, he hasn’t been around these parts for a while. Hope everything is ok on his end.

Last edited:
Reactions: AphoticD and z970

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
This looks great! I mentioned on another post about porting LeopardRebirth Remover across to Tiger for this theme.

Once you’re ready with the theme’s packaged installer all ready to roll, send me a copy. I can prepare an uninstall file list and package up the uninstaller with factory 10.4.11 multilingual resources to include with the distribution.
[doublepost=1506338850][/doublepost]I should also note that my icon pack files seem a bit light-on because CandyBar 2 appeared to strip all >128x128 resources.

I will have to revisit the process and repackage for higher definition.

I only noticed this after installing across about 4 Macs. I thought maybe those clever lads at Panic came up with a super duper lossless compression algorithm for icon files and then noticed things were a bit blurry in the cmd-tab app switcher. (Oops!)

There are a few more different resources that need to be added to the installer, such as System Preferences icons and arrows, in the release following the next one. I'm reading up on how to put a pkg together just in case AH doesn't return to the forum. It seems to be pretty straightforward, but I'll have to run a few tests on my otherwise-unused iBook G3 to make sure everything installs correctly and nothing breaks.

I'll most likely tackle an iTunes theme after I finish with the main OS, and I'll probably go through a few more apps to see if they contain their own resources (i.e. Quicktime for sure), and theme them as well, if it's possible.

The icon issue seems to only affect Candybar 2. I checked my Leopard install and all of the icons seem to be ok.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
But @swamprock is taking it over...

Not taking it over, but continuing it. The work that AH released was originally my work, with some tweaks by him. I had abandoned it late last year, but returned to it once AH released the initial work. I don't like leaving things unfinished...

... so I guess you could say that I'm taking it back over ;)

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Not taking it over, but continuing it. The work that AH released was originally my work, with some tweaks by him. I had abandoned it late last year, but returned to it once AH released the initial work. I don't like leaving things unfinished...

... so I guess you could say that I'm taking it back over ;)

"I don't like leaving things unfinished..." A very admirable quote. :)

Reactions: z970 and AphoticD

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
As an update, there is still a lot of work to do, but here are some things that have been improved-

1. Finder buttons are now softer and more accurate.
2. Inactive windows now show inactive elements.
3. Progress bars (determinate and indeterminate, with active and inactive elements) are finished, and are as accurate as they can be on Tiger.
4. Replaced most of the arrows.

I'm currently working on app arrow button elements, which is a HUGE job. Tiger has some separate resources for the OS and apps that look and behave the same (such as arrow buttons), but are stored differently. They fixed a lot of this in Leopard by going to the artfile format, and have completely replaced the old, inefficient Aqua way of doing things with Yosemite and on. I also need to fix the inactive popup button arrow ends, since they are ugly as sin. Once these are done, I see no reason to not put a release together.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Sorry I haven't been here in awhile.

@swamprock thanks so much for taking this back over. I hate leaving it unfinished, but I've been pretty busy lately with no time to even turn on my PPCs, much less update this theme.

I can't wait to see your final results!

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Sorry I haven't been here in awhile.

@swamprock thanks so much for taking this back over. I hate leaving it unfinished, but I've been pretty busy lately with no time to even turn on my PPCs, much less update this theme.

I can't wait to see your final results!

I concur.

Don't tell Tom, but personally, I'd take this theme here over Leopard Rebirth after having used the latter just before I got the aluminum monster I'm typing this on.

The unfinished icons and lack of uninstaller really is a deal breaker. That and the fact that Tiger, save for most Power Mac G5s, really is the best OS for PowerPCs, mostly G4s. G3s should probably stick with Panther for best results. And let's be real here, TenFourFox is the best and only realistic browser for any PowerPC Mac that can comfortably run Tiger, especially with @eyoungren's tweaks, and especially when running on a 1GHz+ machine. Leopard Webkit is buggy, there hasn't been an update since May, and it's restricted to one OS.

At least until Leopard Rebirth is complete, I'd probably stick with Mountain Leopard being the best theme for Leopard. And personally, that isn't going to change. Especially when you've already got PPCAppStore available and can manually watch this every time you install it.

Damn, I love that video.

PS: I'm sorry, Tom. Don't hang me. Most people here prefer your theme anyway.

Last edited:

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
I concur.

Don't tell Tom, but personally, I'd take this theme here over Leopard Rebirth after having used the latter just before I got the aluminum monster I'm typing this on.

The unfinished icons and lack of uninstaller really is a deal breaker. That and the fact that Tiger, save for most Power Mac G5s, really is the best OS for PowerPCs, mostly G4s. G3s should probably stick with Panther for best results. And let's be real here, TenFourFox is the best and only realistic browser for any PowerPC Mac that can comfortably run Tiger, especially with @eyoungren's tweaks, and especially when running on a 1GHz+ machine. Leopard Webkit is buggy, there hasn't been an update since May, and it's restricted to one OS.

At least until Leopard Rebirth is complete, I'd probably stick with Mountain Leopard being the best theme for Leopard. And personally, that isn't going to change. Especially when you've already got PPCAppStore available and can manually watch this every time you install it.

Damn, I love that video.

PS: I'm sorry, Tom. Don't hang me. Most people here prefer your theme anyway.

Tom's theme is brilliant. The amount of work that needs to be done on a theme is enormous, and I can't imagine having to dig through the artfile and Sartfiles, replace the assets, and hope that they recompile. The dock blurring is especially brilliant. He deserves thanks from me for his work, which unlocked a couple of things that I found to be mysteries, even being the stubborn git that he is :)

For the Tiger theme, the installer/uninstaller may be Terminal/script-based rather than using a package installer. It's much easier to back things up that way for later uninstallation, and it's much more in the comfort zone than having to learn how to package things up; at least in my case. The idea for this comes from @AphoticD, who is helping me test changes as they progress, and I concur that it's probably the best approach for installation/uninstallation, with some caveats (10.4.11 only, experience with running scripts, etc).

Progress-wise, I just got done taking a few days off from the theme, as my eyes were really starting to show/feel the strain. I'll get back to it on Saturday, but here's what needs to be done yet before the next release:

1. Finish fixing/theming the Cocoa assets. A huge pain in the arse, as the way that they're stored quite frankly sucks, and they'll never be absolutely perfect due to how Tiger handles Cocoa resources. Older Cocoa-based apps will be themed, but certain buttons and arrows will look a little weird in certain places (The last version of FileZilla for Tiger is a perfect example). That's Tiger's fault, not mine. Where Leopard got it right by somewhat unifying the resources with CoreUI, Tiger was still a bit of a hodgepodge.

2. Theme all of the text box resources and well resources (the latter also being a huge pain).

3. Finish theming the small segment buttons so that they're accurate.

4. Fix some inaccuracies in the inactive arrow pulldowns/popups and replace the window grow boxes; the absence of which causes some issues. I've also got a couple of minor tiny traffic light issues that need fixing, but that's a quick and easy one.

5. Figure out exactly how to handle changing icons in System Preferences. This cannot be done via Candybar. I changed them all manually by entering each System Preference bundle and replacing the icon, so we'll probably have to script that in. The Spotlight icon doesn't change for some reason, though.

6. Decide on what icons to put together and include in an iContainer for Candybar. I've got a collection of sidebar icons that I use as well as app icons, and others (@AphoticD, et al) have shared icons as well.

7. Put a list of apps together that approximate some later functionality. @zappaesque is helping with this effort, and others are welcome to PM or post other ideas.

There are a ton of minor/miscellaneous resources spread throughout Tiger that I'm not going to worry too much about, as many of them are rarely used, and some aren't used at all. I'll get to some of the minor ones at a later date, in a later release. There are Panther resources in the Tiger Extras.rsrc and Finder.rsrc files that aren't used at all anymore, which is somewhat humorous. As a trivia sidenote, the Panther stuff finally disappeared in Leopard's Extras.rsrc and Finder.rsrc.

Following the next release, I'm hoping to work on theming iTunes and look into theming other apps, but I won't go too crazy. There are just too many apps out there using their own embedded resources to get to them all.

All of that said, this theme will never be 100% accurate and will have some minor glitches here and there; some of which I will outline in a readme. For most everyday use, though, the look and feel will be pretty spot-on.

A big thanks to @AmazingHenry for his earlier efforts in releasing the initial work on this theme. He deserves all of the credit for sorting through all of the crap I sent him, and for his tweaks and suggestions as well. That release of the theme is all him and should forever remain so.

Last edited:

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
@swamprock

Awesome status update. It is really coming along. I can confirm that the most recent version you sent me looks great with only a few quibbles.

It’s classic rabbit hole stuff. Dig a little deeper and even more work needs to be done. I can imagine Apple just got fed up with the mash-up resource format and it’s seemingly never ending redundancy. Hence the CoreUI, Artfile rollout in Leopard. The major advantage of course being a scalable resolution independent UI. It’s interesting to scale up Leopard’s UI in the Quartzdebug tool. Zoom it right up and there are many smooth/crisp UI assets even at maximum scale (8x?)

In regards to the spotlight icon, could the prefs pane be pulling the icon resource across from /System/Library/CoreServices/Search.bundle ?

Reactions: z970

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Tom's theme is brilliant. The amount of work that needs to be done on a theme is enormous, and I can't imagine having to dig through the artfile and Sartfiles, replace the assets, and hope that they recompile. The dock blurring is especially brilliant. He deserves thanks from me for his work, which unlocked a couple of things that I found to be mysteries, even being the stubborn git that he is :)

For the Tiger theme, the installer/uninstaller may be Terminal/script-based rather than using a package installer. It's much easier to back things up that way for later uninstallation, and it's much more in the comfort zone than having to learn how to package things up; at least in my case. The idea for this comes from @AphoticD, who is helping me test changes as they progress, and I concur that it's probably the best approach for installation/uninstallation, with some caveats (10.4.11 only, experience with running scripts, etc).

Progress-wise, I just got done taking a few days off from the theme, as my eyes were really starting to show/feel the strain. I'll get back to it on Saturday, but here's what needs to be done yet before the next release:

1. Finish fixing/theming the Cocoa assets. A huge pain in the arse, as the way that they're stored quite frankly sucks, and they'll never be absolutely perfect due to how Tiger handles Cocoa resources. Older Cocoa-based apps will be themed, but certain buttons and arrows will look a little weird in certain places (The last version of FileZilla for Tiger is a perfect example). That's Tiger's fault, not mine. Where Leopard got it right by somewhat unifying the resources with CoreUI, Tiger was still a bit of a hodgepodge.

2. Theme all of the text box resources and well resources (the latter also being a huge pain).

3. Finish theming the small segment buttons so that they're accurate.

4. Fix some inaccuracies in the inactive arrow pulldowns/popups and replace the window grow boxes; the absence of which causes some issues. I've also got a couple of minor tiny traffic light issues that need fixing, but that's a quick and easy one.

5. Figure out exactly how to handle changing icons in System Preferences. This cannot be done via Candybar. I changed them all manually by entering each System Preference bundle and replacing the icon, so we'll probably have to script that in. The Spotlight icon doesn't change for some reason, though.

6. Decide on what icons to put together and include in an iContainer for Candybar. I've got a collection of sidebar icons that I use as well as app icons, and others (@AphoticD, et al) have shared icons as well.

7. Put a list of apps together that approximate some later functionality. @zappaesque is helping with this effort, and others are welcome to PM or post other ideas.

There are a ton of minor/miscellaneous resources spread throughout Tiger that I'm not going to worry too much about, as many of them are rarely used, and some aren't used at all. I'll get to some of the minor ones at a later date, in a later release. There are Panther resources in the Tiger Extras.rsrc and Finder.rsrc files that aren't used at all anymore, which is somewhat humorous. As a trivia sidenote, the Panther stuff finally disappeared in Leopard's Extras.rsrc and Finder.rsrc.

Following the next release, I'm hoping to work on theming iTunes and look into theming other apps, but I won't go too crazy. There are just too many apps out there using their own embedded resources to get to them all.

All of that said, this theme will never be 100% accurate and will have some minor glitches here and there; some of which I will outline in a readme. For most everyday use, though, the look and feel will be pretty spot-on.

A big thanks to @AmazingHenry for his earlier efforts in releasing the initial work on this theme. He deserves all of the credit for sorting through all of the crap I sent him, and for his tweaks and suggestions as well. That release of the theme is all him and should forever remain so.

Of course it is. Took a lot of work and we all applaud him for that.

But, like I said, I'd prefer Mountain Leopard or this theme over his. For me, it's simply too unfinished. And seriously, when you have no uninstaller with an unfinished theme for an entire operating system... I can't...
[doublepost=1507997169][/doublepost]
Lots of Macs can comfortably run Tiger, including G3s but TFF sets them right back - it's not realistic to use it on anything but high end PPCs.

...Yeah, probably.

Obviously that would be all G5s, but how about the later aluPowerbooks? Or the stronger Quicksilver Power Macs?

What exactly would you consider high end non-G5s?
[doublepost=1507997646][/doublepost]I apologize if I came off a little bit too strong. Yesterday was an extraordinarily stressful day beyond any limitation, and there were quite literally life or death scares involved. For human lives.

Absolutely horrendous.

Last edited:

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Still here...

I've been sick for the past two weeks, and have been sleeping virtually non-stop in that time, so I haven't gotten a ton of work done, but there has been some forward momentum...

I've addressed many of the old Cocoa vs Carbon issues that Tiger has, and have come to a happy medium regarding how they will appear. They won't be 100% accurate, but they only affect older Cocoa apps in appearance and not functionality and don't look horrible. Again, certain tradeoffs have to be made due to Tiger's UI quirks.

I'm down to finishing up some minor elements, like small and mini segment buttons, and tidying up a few other items that are a bit glitchy due to past work that I've done that wasn't quite accurate. I'm hoping.... HOPING... to get to this stuff this week, but I'm still recovering from this viral thing I picked up, and I have to do some job-hunting as well. We'll see...

Regardless, 99% of the major elements are finished. Certain very minor elements will be addressed in the release following the next one, and I'll look into other things that may or may not be possible due to quirks in Tiger's UI.

I'm considering posting some files that the more adventurous members of the forum can install manually to try out. There are so many elements that need to be themed that more feedback would be very helpful, especially with things that I've surely missed/am missing. If anyone is interested in testing what's done so far and doesn't mind installing things manually, drop me a PM.

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Great news swamprock! I was wondering where you went to. It’s all coming together. There is light at the end of the tunnel of resources!

Keep up the great work and here’s hoping you shake off the bug.

Reactions: z970

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Fantastic work, swamp. Your theme is one of my personal favorites, even though my G5 is sitting next to me, dormant, and my PowerBook G4 is constantly sleeping in a chair a little over 5ft away. Oh wait, it just died. Radical.

It is bug season after all. Gotta wonder why they put two major holidays where everyone comes together smack in the middle of bug season. ...Or is it the other way around...

Either way, continue that rest, keep up the fluids, and play some games when you aren't sleeping or working.

Last edited:

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
A quick, shaky video demo of the theme as it stands now (using my new iPad. Nice to have a decent camera now. Now I need to learn how to light things correctly):

Filezilla was launched to show how Cocoa apps will look with the theme. Not as accurate, but probably the closest that I could get.

Barring any major problems, there should be a release fairly soon... once an installer/uninstaller is figured out...

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Release is imminent, but will require the use of the Terminal to install and uninstall, and it will be all or nothing with the exception of the font. Until I can come up with a better installer (or if someone else wants to take that task on), this will have to do, but it works well. Detailed instructions will be included to help you along.

Look for the release sometime tonight...

Reactions: AL1630 and z970

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Wow, that soon? I'll definitely give it a try!

I'm doing some redundant testing on the install and uninstall scripts, which requires me to test them and then restore the entire system from a backup. I'm doing this multiple times on three different 'books. Once I'm convinced that everything is solid, I need to throw a readme together and then I can release it.

Attachments

• IMAG0001.jpg
    IMAG0001.jpg
    970.8 KB · Views: 198
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.