Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lugworm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
UK
For a few weeks now I've been looking in on here.

I had decided to make the move from Sony laptop to iMac soon, but whenever I scan through this forum all I see is problem after problem !

I'm now undecided...if macs are so good, why do they develope so many faults ?

I understand about apple care , but my nearest store is almost 40 miles away, so having to return the machine on a regular basis would be very inconvenient to say the least.

Alaerian

Jan 6, 2005
A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
Let's think about this for a moment.

For every ONE problem you see on these forums, how many people do you think have zero problems? It's fairly well-known that people only complain or post if they have issues - they are much less likely to say anything if they have a great experience.

With that said, there is a reason that Apple's growth has been substantial in the past few years. More people are embracing the Mac platform and having a grand time doing it.

Make the leap. You won't regret it.

Jolly Giant

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
Hamburg, Germany
forums such as this are like hospitals - folks with issues come here to seek help resolving those.

just because a hospital is full of sick people, it doesn't mean the whole world is sick.

Macs are very reliable and you can always get Apple Care along with your purchase, which extends the warranty even further.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
i have a old iMac from 2006 too and apart from that it did need replacing all internal parts (display,logicboard, HDD, optical drive , ram ) under apple care before i bought it , the iMac works great
my even older PPC Mac's (eMac's from 2005) run without any problem since years and some of my PPC Mac's even since 10 years ( TAM from 1997 ,PowerMac 5500 /275 from 1997 , iMac G3 's from 2001 ....) all without a hickup

you will always get the odd one which is unreliable especially on a forum , thats what a forum is for to seek help if you got a problem
and we live in 2011 so even more people seek help on forums to try to fix a problem on their own

but one thing is advisable and that is to buy Apple Care before the 1 year standard warranty ends or if you like more then 90 days telephone support in the first year
just for example a Display or Logicboard of a iMac 27" will cost you easy several hundred of whatever currency you use to replace it , so its handy to have apple care that pays for it and even if you dont need it, it pays for itself if you sell the iMac within the apple care period
as apple care is a fully transferable warranty

Last edited:

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
My 27 inch 2009 iMac has been flawless except for one thing. right out of the box in the middle of the screen under the glass was a speck of dirt about this size

( . )

I purchased it from apple online saw the dirt speck call apple support and made an appointment I did not want to have to drag the large machine in and get turned away.

I then drove 30 mile round trip to apple store at the mall an hour later done. 0 problems since complete perfection. Machine is 14 months old. never turned off only the display goes to sleep. My one complaint is I would like a faster interface then fw800.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
For every ONE problem you see on these forums, how many people do you think have zero problems? It's fairly well-known that people only complain or post if they have issues - they are much less likely to say anything if they have a great experience.

Well said :)

OP - HERE is a link to a Sony Vaio forum. First three threads in the list:
Sony Z - Metal Shield or Infinite Stripes Lid Replacement Part Numbers? (replacing parts?)
My discoveries on Vaio Z’s Hybrid Graphics (2775 replies)
SB series has terrible design/ build quality issues

From those three threads, are Vaios terrible? No. Same reason Macs aren't terrible :)

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Our department works exclusively with macs. We still own some 5+ years old PowerBooks, which slowly start to fail (usually beginning with the the HDD). To be honest, I find it rather a good lifespan for a laptop. Personally, I have owned about four Macs till now, and the only problem I ever had was a burned-out power supply (which was exchanged at the same day). Overall, I am very pleased with the Mac quality.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
it is simple computers that lasts 3 years plus without a single fail of parts is above average today , and most Mac's last longer

and for the fun of it watch these old Volkswagen commercial here and there you get the idea why we all love our Mac's even if they dont come with the absolute latest gadgets like some PC's
and Mac's never get old they only get more interesting

Last edited:

Spike88

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
lugworm.

I have both PC/Windows 7 Laptop and iMac 2010. And, I can use both blind folded (well - almost). If wondering, I'm also an MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer). Thus, I do know a few little things about computers.

Before buying either, do take the following items into consideration:

The Windows 7 has the ability to use Large fonts (aka: customize sizing of DPIs). This means one can use large fonts on high resolution screens without distortion. The Mac OS doesn't have this feature. Yes. One can change font sizing, icon sizing the use TinkerTool on an individual level. But, Mac OS lacks "global sizing without distortion ability". Of all the weaknesses of the Mac OS platform, this one is most shocking.

Within Windows 7, one can control the WebCam lighting, sizing, and some angles. Mac OS has fixed Webcams. If you need to change WebCam settings, one must buy 3rd party eyeglasses. This is the 2nd gap within Mac OS that shocks me.

For tax programs, I use our Win 7 laptop. I find Win 7 is more compatible with other common market applications.

Getting back to your "reliability" decision question....

My Windows 7 downloads much faster then my iMac. And if wondering, my iMac is wired and my Win 7 is wireless. iMac / Mac OS downloads much slower. And, you'll see this pattern on this forum and on the Apple Support forum as well. Thus, it isn't my specific configuration.

For iTunes & Photos, my iMac runs circles around my Win 7 Laptop. If into these area, definitely get the iMac. When it comes to graphics, the iMac is years a head of Win 7.

For automated backups (even using a portable attached HDD), the Mac OS Time Machine (which is included within Mac OS) is amazing. Simply set it and "away it works - in the background". Clean, simple and its easy.

For email, I like the "ease of use" on the Win 7 email package. However, I like the onscreen spell checker of the iMac. Side by side and my bad spelling gap, I'd pick the iMac for email (without downloading attachment comparisons).

IMO, My factory iMac runs too hot. They probably lowered its fan speeds to obtain high "energy savings" ratings. Thus, I had to install 3rd party SMCControl and set its fans - to make it run cooler. Now, my iMac runs much cooler (compared to factory defaults).

For hardware reliability, I would say my iMac (even with 2 major OS gaps and running hotter from factory), I'd say my iMac is much more solid machine. It feels solid, it runs solid and it acts solid. If wondering, my Win 7 machine has shown a few "blue screen of death" situations. My iMac has been rock solid - even since day 1. Despite a few of its "will be better in future version areas", my mid 2010 iMac 21.5" is a good / solid machine. And as you can tell, I'm not tunnel vision bias on iMacs.

Hope this helps in your research....

lugworm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
UK
Thanks for the replies.
Still humming and hahing, still drawn towards a new iMac.

archipellago

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Thanks for the replies.
Still humming and hahing, still drawn towards a new iMac.

which is why you posted here... ;)

up to you, I no longer buy Macs due to the hardware issues I've had and for how good Win7 now is.

heat can and does kill computers and IMO Macs are poorly designed to get rid of heat..... form over function if you like.

never had a hard drive die in a PC but had multiple in iMacs and minis.

For the price premium you pay for Macs...and you do..massively, I think they should be better quality and not just standard Foxconn 'rubbish' like all beige boxes are.

my 2 cents....

bennettave

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2011
To balance the trouble read on these forums, let me tell you about my Mac TiBook laptop. It's 9 years old and still my main computer at home. I still feel privileged to use it.

I challenge you to find someone who uses a 9 or more year old PC laptop as their main computer today.

I can't wait to buy the 2011 iMac.

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
I always chuckle as soon as somebody mentions the at least 12 years old Windows DPI scaling that has not changed ONE BIT and it’s as such implemented in Windows 7. Granted Mac OS X does not have this feature but the windows equivalent looks extremely unfinished and unprofessional when turned on - it’s more than a decade old with NO improvements whatsoever.

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011
Let's think about this for a moment.

With that said, there is a reason that Apple's growth has been substantial in the past few years. More people are embracing the Mac platform and having a grand time doing it.

Make the leap. You won't regret it.

It's so true. For every one person that complains, there's probably a million happy users.

Spike88

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
I always chuckle as soon as somebody mentions the at least 12 years old Windows DPI scaling that has not changed ONE BIT and it’s as such implemented in Windows 7. Granted Mac OS X does not have this feature but the windows equivalent looks extremely unfinished and unprofessional when turned on - it’s more than a decade old with NO improvements whatsoever.

Yes. I chuckle as well. Only way to get proper image scaling in Mac OS is to change its Screen resolution. re: To much less resolution. Thus, making the screen image unclear. Much worst the Win 7. Let's face it. Mac OS doesn't have DPI scaling (aka: Large fonts without distortion) feature. A feature that is a huge gap - regardless how one tries to dance around it. And, why can't Mac OS have included feature to change its Webcam settings as well. High price $2K machine and one cannot even adjust its WebCam lighting. Very huge gap as well. But.... Guess "tunnel vision" Mac folks don't want to see this gap either. Yes. It makes me chuckle as well....

shtoat

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2008
My 13" first generation macbook has been used fairly intensively since the day I bought it in 2006. Especially with Logic Pro. I have never had the slightest problem in almost 5 years. People like me don't need to post. We're happy.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
ok some here are Mac biased obviously
so lets hear Bill Gates (for the people who dont know he is the founder of Microsoft) what he has to say about Mac's as sure he is the most unbiased Person
clip

and where you think you find lots of Mac's too .. at microsoft lab where they make their version of the iphone
clip

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Any manufactured product, no matter who makes it, will have a certain percentage of product that has problems. If Apple sells 2 million Macs, and the problem rate is 1/2 of 1% that is still 10,000 Macs that have problems to some degree.

I have 5 Macs in the house, the oldest from 2005, and none have had any hardware problems. The biggest issue I've had has been keeping the screens clean.

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
I've had various PC and Apple computers from the "boot from a floppy" days, and I haven't found hardward from any of them particularly trouble-free, they are, afterall, designed and built by humans.

Given their respective price points and customers, I do find that Apple products tend to be more "gently used" than those utilitarian, putty gray PC desktop boxes or Thinkpad laptops handed out for "worker bee" consumpution.

ibis99

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2010
Um?

Spend a day perusing a Windows forum or any of the countless Windows based manufacturers forums.

If you walked into a hospital would you assume everyone outside the hospital was sick or dying?

Get the Mac.

infidel69

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
I have a Dell inspiron 8100 from 2000 still runs like the day I bought it. It even has the original HDD. Three years is nothing for a quality computer.

Detosx

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
Definitely get Apple Care if you have any experience of building your own/servicing computers and liked to fault solve through forums and replace faulty components. The iMac feels like a non user serviceable item, which will gradually seem less reassuring if you find it interesting to spend time around help forums.

Don't fall into that peculiar Apple neurosis of leaving the iMac in its box while you go on a colossal spring clean to make your apartment 'worthy' of having such a beautiful piece of tech furniture. I know so many iMac users who did this or who went on holiday. Definitely do some thorough dusting, let the dust settle, but then get it out of the box, test it thoroughly for the faults you see mentioned. My iMac came with a loud bass grumbling Seagate hard drive but, because it was purchased in Aberdeen I had to leave it with my dad, there, and work out transport to where I live at a later date. If I had tested it at the time I would have returned it and got a new iMac without any post thirty-days hassles. The hard drive functions perfectly, otherwise. I presently live in a city with no Mac store and without a car... You get the idea, obviously test it as soon as you can. Be aware the new models run hot to the touch, some people are startled by this, and that when the fans click in you'll know about it but compared to many PCs it's an almost soothing sound.

I don't know how the iMac scores on reliability but in general Apple do very well in both reliability rating and after sales in the big hitting PC magazines like PC Pro, etc. I have two first generation Mac Minis and, despite the plastic top discoloring a little and that DVI no longer works on either, they are both fully functioning, still used and much loved.

If I could have afforded a Mac Pro, I would have gone for one. Having bought an iMac I still felt that way and even more so. But... I love my iMac, it's gorgeous. That screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.