Reliable External Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macswitcha2, Sep 4, 2009.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

I want to finally get an external hard drive so I can back up my apps, pics. video, etc, etc.

I am ordering snow leopard today and so in also getting an external hard drive, which TB storage is the best one? I was interested in Time Capsule but that thing is way to expensive even for what it does. Is there anything way lesser yet just as good?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks! Checked the reviews out, many costumers are satisfied by it.
    Question, I'm looking also at the LaCie d2 Quadra Hard Disk 1 TB. Anyone has this? Seems like its similar to the OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I looked at that one, too. The OWC has a 32MB cache, vs 16 for the LaCie, so it's faster. Other than that, they're very similar.

5. Zmmin3 macrumors regular

I am getting one too and have additional questions.
    This will be for a 24"Imac. Are A/C powered external hard drives that much better than the USB powered ones? My battery back up/surge surpressor is pretty much filled up with plugs. So if a USB powered drive is just as good I would like to get that type.
    Also speaking of OWC, I was actually looking at this one:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MS4U7320GB16/
    I want something small as not to clutter up my desk anymore.

6. BaronvdB macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

I use a 500gb time capsule but my brother (a musician) who got me into macs has always had good luck with LaCie external hard drives.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I also have the 200GB version of that drive. It's been absolutely excellent! OWC makes good stuff!

As for the power, the bigger and faster the drive, the more likely it is you'll need AC power.

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I might be able to help...

Or you could be OCD, anal and paranoid like me and have two back-up drives...

Other User's Recommendation's:
    Buffalo: techfreak85 (DriveStation Combo4 1TB)
    Build Your Own: uberamd, kufford, SaSaSushi, nanofrog, Ti_Poussin, bigdaddyp; Cave Man
    Drobo: gatepc recommends it, further mixed discussion here. A Drobo v. alternative discussion was had here.
    EZQuest: LizKat has owned a variety of Monsoons
    G-Tech: RebornKillah recommends the G-Drive Quad 500GB, but it's currently out of production; Digital Skunk notes the great warranty; jaysmith recommend G-Tech
    Hitachi: Trag (SimpleTech Signature Mini 500GB); J&JPolangin (SimpleTech 2TB SimpleDrive Pro Duo); BlizzardBomb recommends the Go; bigdaddyp recommends the Signature Mini. Thedesolateone also recommends Hitachi. Also of note is that Hitachi acquired G-Tech recently.
    Iomega: mc3s (Ultramax 34495 1.5 TB); Justin Lee (eGo 500GB Portable Mac).
    ioSafe: Tterb recommends.
    LaCie: Note: there is an entire thread dedicated to LaCie, I have summed up support from users below, but simply a tally
    jrotunda85, (d2 Quadra 1 TB); RedTomato, gatepc & eVolcre, {although eVolcre owns the one with eSata and Firewire 400}(Hard Disk, Design by Neil Poulton 1 TB); iGary (LaCie Rugged); Gymnut (F.A. Porsche, out of production); VanMac (BigDiskExtreme, out of production); Digital Skunk (2Big Triple, out of production)
    Users expressing general support: cmcbridejr, dpaanlka, LethalWolfe, mpsrig, UltraNeo*, iPhoneNYC, chocolate632, Hellhammer, romanaz
    Users not so happy with LaCie: surfmadison (not a big fan), accacc57, dave12345 (Little Disk), jaysmith, Jerkfish, auero, mperkins37, dfs & jessica.
    Maxtor: adamvk purchased a OneTouch 4 1TB (not sure what version)
    OWC: GGJstudios (1TB Mercury Elite-AL Pro) & (On-The-Go 200GB)
    Seagate: steeler (FreeAgent Desk 1.5 TB); MacMini2009, rick3000 (Seagate FreeAgent Desk 1 TB USB Mac); suekitch recommends Seagate because of its warranty; Acid303 does not recommend the (new) Seagate FreeAgent Desk series
    Western Digital: MacMini2009, xpress1 & MacDawg (MyBook Studio 1TB); Thiol notes purchasing an incredible seven Western Digital MyBook Studio drives all working flawlessly; Acid303 also notes a positive experience with a non-Studio Edition Western Digital drive; terp2007 & matthewscott661 recommend the Passport Series; munkees notes a failure with one of the drives purchased, but a positive experience overall; rikdiddy, RebornKillah & Jerkfish also recommend Western Digital. chrono1081 does not recommend Western Digital & romanaz was also not happy.

Other Threads:

1TB is prbly a good size to start at it, I would say most people looking for non-mobile externals start at that size, here is a (not-so) recent thread about that...
    More literature found here.
    Here, is another thread on 1TB Hard Drives
    This one is about LaCie...
    Here is another, there is some more discussion about LaCie in there...
    Here is one on USB 1TB, I'd stick to Firewire...
    Just for kicks, we had a random thread.
    And if all else fails, MRoogle
    If you wish to have your name added to the list, PM Me.​

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yeah, but what do you recommend? :D

10. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

One more question, and thanks for this recommendation, is the software that comes installed really needed? Do you use the software or did you erase them?

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, I erased the software. No need to use it. Just plug it in and go.

12. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks once again for the recommendation, its being shipped...and I will erase the software...

Any suggestions on formatting it? For instance, i will like to organize the back up as in putting pictures, videos, documents, music, and apps in different locations.

Is this something that helps? Do you recommend this?

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you plan to only use the external with your Mac, use the Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) format. If you plan to use the external with both a Mac and a PC, use FAT32, so both Mac OS X and Windows can read and write to it.

I chose to partition my 1TB drive into two partitions: One to be a match for my internal hard drive, for direct backups, and the remaining to be used for other files that don't also exist on my internal hard drive.

14. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

I never heard of files not existing in your internal hard drive yet being able to back them up, what do you mean? Do you mean files that you have somewhere else?

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I mean I use part of the external drive to back up my internal drive. I use the rest of the space on the external drive to save files that are not on my internal drive.

16. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

gotcha...again, thanks for the recommendation. I look forward to finally having some back up.