Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The highly reliable Apple leaker known as "Kang" and a number of other unspecified leakers have reportedly received warnings from lawyers representing Apple.

AppleEventLogoFeature.jpg

According to posts on Kang's Weibo account, Apple recently commissioned a law firm to send admonitory letters to a number of leakers.

The letter purportedly cautioned leakers that they must not disclose information about unreleased Apple projects because it may give Apple's competitors valuable information and "mislead customers, because what is disclosed may not be accurate."

Apple purportedly grabbed screenshots of Kang's Weibo as evidence, which included him talking about problems he experienced with the iPhone, product release dates, and purchase suggestions for his followers, as well as more casual posts.

Kang went on to give his personal opinion on the situation. Kang explained that since "I have never published undisclosed product pictures" or sold his information, Apple must take exception to "riddles and dreams" about its undisclosed projects. Apple leaks vaguely characterized as "dreams" have been popularized in recent years by leakers such as "L0vetodream," providing some insiders with a fun mechanism to hint at Apple's future plans without giving too much away.

Even "dreaming will violate their confidentiality mechanism," according to Kang, who said that under Apple's logic "if I have a dream, Apple's competitors will obtain effective information." "Without sending pictures or leaking pictures, I am still used as a target," he said.

Kang commented that "I won't post riddles and dreams in the future," suggested that he will be deleting some previous posts on social media, and expressed the need to "tone back" posting about Apple since "talking will be audited."

Kang argued that he had not misled consumers and said that he was still within his right to make his feelings known about Apple's smartphone experience, remarking that "your company should not interfere with my Weibo."

He also warned other bloggers, saying that if they do not want to "cause trouble... then don't post anything they don't want to tell the public." Even if "you haven't signed any agreement... they think it is infringement and abuse of commercial information."

Kang has been among the most reliable Apple leakers, with successive detailed leaks about Apple's future product and software plans that turned out to be correct. Kang leaked the full details of the iPhone 12 lineup and the HomePod mini before they launched. According to AppleTrack, Kang also correctly leaked a plethora of information about the 2020 iPhone SE, Apple Watch SE, Apple Watch Series 6, iPad 8, and iPad Air 4 prior to launch. In addition, Kang leaked extensive details about Apple's software updates for WWDC in 2020.

Article Link: Reliable Leaker Known as 'Kang' Hit With Warning From Apple

Last edited:
Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Not sure how reaching Apples lawyers can be here? If the leaker isn’t employed by Apple, isn’t selling the information, isn’t gaining earnings from it. Then surely they have no legal right to block them from leaking the information? Surely the law applies to the leakers sources or whoever is under a contract or NDA with Apple?

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
Don't back down Kang! Keep at it. Funny how Apple claims he is "misinforming people" when his leaks don't seem to be anywhere near as damning as some other leakers that post things. Apple should maybe focus on their employees leaking information instead of outsiders not employed by Apple.

tills24

macrumors regular
May 10, 2010
Not sure how reaching Apples lawyers can be here? If the leaker isn’t employed by Apple, isn’t selling the information, isn’t gaining earnings from it. Then surely they have no legal right to block them from leaking the information? Surely the law applies to the leakers sources or whoever is under a contract or NDA with Apple?
I would think Apple is trying to scare the leakers/dreamers, even without a legal basis?

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008

The man on the street doesn’t randomly discover information about unreleased Apple products. It’s possible that some of these leakers had a preexisting relationship with Apple (or a key supplier) that is still relevant in these circumstances.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Can't you just paraphrase it like how could they sue someone about something that technically does not even exist (until it is released) unless he releases stolen product images.

Something like "My perfect next generation iPhone "would" include this and that feature". That's how it is when you ask for "legal advice" online here. You cannot say "I have an issue with ..." you have to ask "Let's say person X has an issue with ..."

Seems like they are just trying to scare them

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Maybe similar to insider information?

Last edited:

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
The man on the street doesn’t randomly discover information about unreleased Apple products. It’s possible that some of these leakers had a preexisting relationship with Apple (or a key supplier) that is still relevant in these circumstances.

This would be Apple's only legal standing to issue cease and desist memos in this case though

They have no legal foot hold if they have no previous contractual obligations with these individuals.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Based on the fact he's backing down I'm guessing he either has signed an agreement with them he could be violating or whomever he gets his info from is close enough to him that he wouldn't want to see them get fired/blacklisted, perhaps family?

I can see it from both sides, without leaks this site would be pretty dead in the water. However, employees who have signed agreements and are knowingly violating them, whether for financial gain or something else does impact the bottom line of Apple if enough people hold off purchasing a product because they want the next thing.

I’ve been telling you guys… Apple is not playing games anymore! It’s game over for the leakers.

Kang some advice for you… change your title to become an Analyst or some rich investor…

You’ll get away with a lot… 🤫 Cash is King... Money rules the world.

Last edited:

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
People should be allowed to "speculate" all they want based on "whatever evidence they have at hand" without corporate Men in Black trying to zap articles with their neuralyzer.
on the other hand shouldn't companies be allowed to share their intellectual property at a time they see fit? I think it's a two way street. And I am here on this site because I enjoy reading speculative articles but I also enjoy watching apple keynotes and seeing first hand factual information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.