Reluctantly returned my new Smart Cover :/

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Sir Ruben, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Sir Ruben, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012

Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

I really really HAD to have a smart cover to go with my new iPad. However after a bit of reading on the web I decided to return it. Here's why for people who are not aware of its problems:

1) The metal hinge of the smart cover can mark the aluminium casing of the iPad over time.

2) The magnets can cause black spots to appear on the metal hinge and aluminium casing of the iPad, these do not come off. In fact one appeared on the magnet part of my hinge after only 2 days of use.

3) The soft microfibre lining of the smart cover leaves permanent lines down the screen, they can be wiped away at first but after prolonged use they are visible when the screen is off.

Links:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3137637?start=0&tstart=0

http://www.cultofmac.com/86595/ipad-2-smart-cover-leaves-greasy-streaks-review/

Im really gutted as I loved the concept, however I must admit the iPad was a bit clunky to hold with it on.

Can anyone direct me to any good folio cases with a magnetic cover that also wakes the iPad just like the smart cover does?

2. DFig619 macrumors member

How in the world is the microfiber cause permanent lines on the iPad?

3. Sir Ruben thread starter macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

I asked myself ther same question, but check out the link. Personally im not going to risk causing permanent damage to my iPad for a novelty case.

4. MacDarcy macrumors 65816

I am an iPad 1 owner who plans to upgrade to the iPad 3(excuse me, the "New" iPad! lol)...and I also have the original black micro fiber Apple ipad case which I love the design of. I like it more than the new Apple iPad "covers" which don't protect the back of the iPad.

What I'd like to know is that will the iPad 3...er "new" ipad fit in the original Apple ipad case? I only ask, because when the 2nd ipad came out it was thinner than the ipad 1 and therefore slightly loose in the original case, but this new ipad is suppose to be slightly thicker than the ipad 2, so i was thinking it would then fit perfectly?

Does anyone know? Thanks! :)

5. DFig619 macrumors member

from the article:
    He also says it never goes away, I'm sure that after time the microfiber will get dirt and oil on it which produces these streaks when ever he closes it, but I'm sure you can just wipe them away.

6. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Well if this case marks my iPad i'll take it back and exchange it.

Easy. :cool:

7. DFig619 macrumors member

You wont have a hole for your camera, I believe it will fit but it will be lose, Id say you shell out a a couple $10s and get one that fits

8. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

A rear skin is a must if using a smart cover.

9. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

I have read a few times in other threads that it does not. I HAVE the old iPad with that case, but have not tried.

Note: the old case does not have the camera hole in the back, nor any provision for new placement of the speaker (along the beveled bottom rather than ON the flat bottom)

Mike

10. Sir Ruben thread starter macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

I agree to a point. I have a flawless iPad, no yellow tint, no flaws around the bezel. So if the smart cover damages it I then have to go through the whole quality control routine with the replacements. Plus the Apple store is two cities away.

11. LanEvo macrumors 6502

This is why I have a case on the back, a screen protector on the front, and then the Smart Cover to go on top...

12. donnaw macrumors 65816

I bought one with my original iPad 2. I didn't like it because it got in the way. But my husband took it and loves it.

The 'scratches' aren't scratches, they are some sort of oxidation. My husband's did that a bit at first but doesn't now and the black wiped right off.

The lines the guy is referring to are dust. And he doesn't mean that the lines are permanent damage but that the cover always does this and that's a bit true if you don't use a sleeve or something. But they wipe off. It's not damage.

13. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

I've been using a Smart Cover on my iPad 2 for almost a year and have never had lines on my screen. I also use a ZUM Ultimate SC case on the back which locks the Smart Cover in place. I was told they will have cases available for the new iPad in late March.

14. Zcott macrumors 68020

The black marks wipe off, the three lines on the screens wipe off and I don't know anyone who scratched their iPad with a smart cover.

My source? A year of using an iPad with a smart cover every single day.

15. nonforma macrumors newbie

Upgraded to the new iPad from my original iPad. My original iPad has mostly been in an Incase convertable case. I bought the smart cover with my new iPad mainliy due to lack of alternatives.

My brother also got the new iPad (his first) but with the iPad 2 version of the Incase convertable which is apparently compatible with the new version.

That said, for $30 I am disappointed with this first-party smart cover. The ability to prop the iPad up is fidgety at best, and the protection is minimal. I will be returning it to pay twice as much for the Incase which I feel gives much better overall protection and ability to securely prop up.

It seems about even with also purchasing protection with the backside, but the cost of both is hard to justify vs. the Incase which gives enough bulk to protect from a severe drop. The smart cover's magnetic hinge also disconnects at times and is already marring the iPad finish.

Thanks to Apple's forgiving return policy I will hold off until Incase undoubedy releases an officially supported iPad 3 convertible case before returning my 'smart' cover.

16. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

I had the iPad 1 from first day in the original micro-fiber folder. Really didn't like the looks the first day and figured I would use it until something else came along,

It's still in it. I tried the "new" pad in it and it is swallowed (loose), Wish Apple had continued with a new improved magnet version.

17. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Same here, sort of.

I've had an iPad 2 since it's launch day and it's had 2 different smart covers on during its lifetime. I have never had any black marks on it and the 3 lines also wipe right off. In fact, the marks aren't actually made by the smart cover but rather are where the the folds of the cover don't effectively wipe or clean the screen so the smears are just oil/dust left by your own hands when using it. A bit annoying? Yes, but definitely not harmful.

The paranoia people have in these forums is pretty amusing.

18. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

The problem is that the microfiber lining absorbs oil from your hands while it's flipped over and then transfers it back onto the screen when it's closed.

19. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I've had the iPad 2 with Smart Cover since day one, and I can honestly say that there are no marks on my aluminium and no permanent marks on my screen either. Keep it all clean and you won't have a problem.

Oh, tips:
    - Never place the micro fibre surface of the Smart Cover face down on a surface.
    - Always roll the Smart Cover in on itself, so the PVC/leather side is the one you hold/the one that touches the table.

20. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I am returning the smart cover as well, but for other reasons.

I find it is too expensive for the limited protection it offers. For just a little more, I can buy a decent case which covers my entire iPad.

Also, i am having issues with the magnets apparently not supporting the iPad that well. Thrice, I have had the iPad detach itself from the cover and topple backwards over the folded cover. :eek:

21. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

Yes!! Logic!!!

If you wipe down the iPad after each use with a microfibre cloth, you won't have any problems with the cover. If you are the type of person who assumes the cover will be the clean cure all, you are mistaken as there ARE 3 small lines not touched by the microfibre surface of the cover.

If you wash your hands before you use your iPad you will have less skin oils.

Not saying you should be a clean freak, but basically, the iPad will stay as clean as you keep it and no microfibre cover will keep clean what you put away with oils and dust.

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This feels like the geek's equivalent of building an underground bunker after watching 2012. I wish people enjoyed the devices they paid so much for instead of freaking out over various reports found online by similar-minded neurotic people.

23. nonforma macrumors newbie

I've seen this as well, both on the actual magnetic hinge and on the magnetic screen lock trigger.

24. Nychot macrumors 6502a

When I bought the ipsd1 I bought a $20 case off of eBay that gave me great protection and had a 10 position stand for watching movies typing etc. when I bought the ipad2 which needed a new case because of camera etc I picked up that apple thing and returned it a few days later. No real protection, goofy engineering and way over priced a t $39. Then I found the roo case. Top quality leather. 23 position stand etc. $29 on amazon. It's the best. And it opens and closes the iPad with magnet.

25. catalyst6, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012

catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

If you are that paranoid about marking up the side of the iPad with the smart cover magnets, buy two small pieces of scotch tape on the iPad where the magnets latch on.

Better yet, buy a skin...