Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Thaty
Technically speaking target needed to offer a $100 gift card to move product. Without it those watches are not moving. And most of these sewer scum are resellers. When I bought the Nexus 6 for $200 on Amazon at 2AM people were buying 16 in one shot.

Right, no proof just insinuation. Good to know you're not a lawyer, or are you?

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
A gold plated glorified "step counter" should be hitting the top ten lists of "2015 dumbest product releases" pretty soon, at least dumb from the 99%ers POV, but I think even rich people think the gold Apple Watch Edition is a joke. If there was a market for gold plated digital watches Timex and Casio would have owned it 30 years ago, but even a gold plated calculator watch would be functional today, a gold Apple Watch will be 'pretty useless' in a year or so, especially when 2.0 comes out.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Sort of signifies the lack of demand for the watch.

yeah except not really.

i mean if thats the narrative you're going to assert onto anything because you need to be negative about it (er, what do we call that?), but the reality is retailers often have door busters and whatnot of heavily discounted popular goods. do you think theres no demand for TVs, etc?

also, they sold out. so there goes your theory. next.

Reactions: KPOM

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Tell that to the guy/girl that bought the watch at full retail. I'm sure they will understand.
That gold model is a complete disaster. Even at half the ridiculous price people don't want it. Who would even pay $1000 for it?
Well I think you just contradicted yourself and defeated your own point. ;)

Reactions: Tycho24

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Lost leader or are they trying to move inventory that just isn't selling. Just go to an apple store and see how many people are looking at the apple watch.... And if it is no one.. then you will start believing that is a reason why Apple hasn't released sales numbers.

Apple watch is the best smart watch on the market, but the price is wrong. 50% off is more realistic for it's features.

Once the board of directors sees how bad Tim screwed up, he will be forced to make some changes. Too bad they won't get ride of him though!

complete nonsense on your part, of course. apple said from the very beginning they wouldnt release sales numbers for competitive reasons (you know, just like Samsung and Amazon dont -- do you think theyre failing, too?). but analysts have studied the "Other" category and surmised by the billions of new profit there that the number was quite large.

cook won't be fired because he's killing it -- apple has never been bigger, stronger, more profitable, or more popular. you've got it all wrong, really. dont quit your day job....

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
A gold plated glorified "step counter" should be hitting the top ten lists of "2015 dumbest product releases" pretty soon, at least dumb from the 99%ers POV, but I think even rich people think the gold Apple Watch Edition is a joke. If there was a market for gold plated digital watches Timex and Casio would have owned it 30 years ago, but even a gold plated calculator watch would be functional today, a gold Apple Watch will be 'pretty useless' in a year or so, especially when 2.0 comes out.

what on earth are you talking about? theres nothing gold-plated about the Edition. and the watch won't be useless, it will continue to do exactly what it did from day 1. which is much more than any mechanical watch.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Tell that to the guy/girl that bought the watch at full retail. I'm sure they will understand.
That gold model is a complete disaster. Even at half the ridiculous price people don't want it. Who would even pay $1000 for it?

considering that the gold is worth more than that, i would gladly pay $1000.

Reactions: Hellenek

madscientist10

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2014
NYC
complete nonsense on your part, of course. apple said from the very beginning they wouldnt release sales numbers for competitive reasons (you know, just like Samsung and Amazon dont -- do you think theyre failing, too?). but analysts have studied the "Other" category and surmised by the billions of new profit there that the number was quite large.

cook won't be fired because he's killing it -- apple has never been bigger, stronger, more profitable, or more popular. you've got it all wrong, really. dont quit your day job....

I don't think Tim Cook is doing a terrible job, but when compared to the Steve Jobs era one can easily see innovation at Apple has taken a hit. However, that is to be expected when such a significant figure passes—perfect example: Albert Einstein and the field of physics.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cobalt50

madscientist10

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2014
NYC
Not sure why you replied me with that post? I was replying to the member who stated that nobody wants the high-end Watch because of it's price.

I am sorry, I was actually replying to the comment you responded to. I was just too lazy to go back and find it.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010

Normally I would agree, but we know from the last quarterly report that Apple Watch is doing quite well.

I think it it more likely that Collette sold a very limited number at 50% off (they are out of stock already), and any loss is a marketing expense to get their name out there. It worked for me--I certainly never heard of them until now.

kdarling

macrumors P6
- 38mm 18-Carat Yellow Gold Case w/ Bright Red Modern Buckle - $17,000 -> $7,953.75
Hmm... cut 9000 dollars off the price and still make a profit? Interesting.

It's been estimated that the the cost of producing a gold Apple Watch Edition is around $2200.

Of course, who knows what the store paid. Major jewelers run 30%-55% gross profit margins, if that helps with guesses.

So they might still be selling the Edition at a nice profit. Even if not, though, any loss is counted as part of the cost of advertising for Black Friday, in this case.

Last edited:

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
This is a great price. I would definitely purchase a version two Apple Watch gold edition at this price

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
Probably because like the iPad Air 2 because it's getting long in the tooth and a new model is primed to be released. This is probably the dumping of the stock preparing for a new model in spring.

Even though it will only be 1 year old it was announced 1.5 years ago (come spring apple event). It's very likely time to upgrade it.

I just can't justify buying the old model of anything though even at a discount a few months before the new is coming (not that I would ever need an Apple Watch personally). Same reason I didn't jump on a discounted iPad Air 2; would hate to see the Air 3 released in 4 months.

If the 3 doesn't bring huge improvements worth paying the full price, then there will be lots of cheap Air 2s on the market still- at much better deals than Black Friday sales even. I guarantee youll be able to get a mint off Swappa or refurb for $350 (64gb) better than any BF deal right now (best being $449) Im going to wait and see what the rumors are come closer and then decide to get the Air 3 or a cheap Air 2. I can wait 3-4 months.

Same with the watch. If the Watch 2 doesnt justify enough of an upgrade for you then I GUARANTEE you will see these prices again come spring after the new model drops. The watches arent exactly selling like hot cakes. There's no rush to jump on these deals right now on watches or iPads really unless you are in some dire need of it (like iPad for work or such).

Last edited:

stanhope

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2015
Black Friday deals tend to be for things that people actually want. It defeats the purpose of getting people in the door / to the website if it's something nobody cares about.
Vegas awaits! Great comedy act NOT

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Perhaps they overestimated expected sales of the high-end watches, and they're just cutting their losses. When AW2 comes around eventually, the current stock will forever collect dust in some corner.
They also had some Anya Hindmarch purses on sale for half-off (EUR 897.50 instead of EUR 1795). My guess is that they had very limited stocks of the gold watches and this was mostly a publicity stunt. Oddly, only MacRumors picked up on it. 9to5Mac and AppleInsider did not mention this.

That said, apparently Target did quite well with its Apple Watch promotion.
http://www.businessinsider.com/target-online-sales-break-record-2015-11

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
My take is they overshot on their estimates and have excess inventory to liquidate. Luxury items always have high discounts during Christmas season. Nothing new. I'm sure it was sold at a profit. Just not as much.

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
There are always thousands and thousands of extra units of every good. They still make profit on them even at a discount, just less than normal price. Plus with the model being outgoing in a few months, dumping extra stock at less profit vs sitting on the stock was a smart idea.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
They also had some Anya Hindmarch purses on sale for half-off (EUR 897.50 instead of EUR 1795). My guess is that they had very limited stocks of the gold watches and this was mostly a publicity stunt. Oddly, only MacRumors picked up on it. 9to5Mac and AppleInsider did not mention this.

That said, apparently Target did quite well with its Apple Watch promotion.
http://www.businessinsider.com/target-online-sales-break-record-2015-11

The beauty for target is that a $100 gift card does not cost them $100 - it all depends what you buy with it of course, but the actual cost is less.

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
The beauty for target is that a $100 gift card does not cost them $100 - it all depends what you buy with it of course, but the actual cost is less.

Of course not. On high margin items target may simply break even but they got you in their store spending money. One reason I didn't jump on the $150 iPad deal because I dont shop at Target that a gift card would be beneficial over cash back at the register off the price.

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005

Hey, did you know Ballmer's best year was the year before Microsoft sales plummeted? To see if someone is going to "kill it", you need to look at their new products and the direction they are going, not the past.

Never seen hardware so weak from Apple, and Microsoft is finally putting out good hardware.. they just need to get their OS up to par. And Android OS is quite impressive, very innovative and google now kills Siri any day. Tim rode the wind that Steve left him.. that wind is dying now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.