Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Anyone successfully get a shipping confirmation yet?

EDIT: I noticed that all of the prices of the Apple Watch have gone back up. Maybe the 50% off was an error, which is why they are cancelling the orders?
It was a door buster. Granted, a high-end door buster, but it was the equivalent of a $99 flat screen TV. If you were lucky you took some of the $5000 you saved on an Apple Watch Edition and bought some half-priced $1000 Anya Hindmarch handbags.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
I'm not sure. I tried looking it up and didn't find much. I guess we'll see.

Most of the things I've found say that goods valued under $2000 for personal use are not taxed.

Also, lots of original Apple Watches shipped from China and those people didn't have to pay an import tax on them.

There's a difference in that Apple is the seller and based in the US. They would be responsible for the import taxes as they would for things sold in their stores (if any were due).

In this case you have bought it from a foreign party and you are the importer. You would be responsible for them, if due.

madscientist10

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2014
NYC
In this case you have bought it from a foreign party and you are the importer. You would be responsible for them, if due.

Yes, I am aware of this. But the confusion arrises when comparing it to my previous overseas purchases—China in this case. As I stated in an earlier post, I have ordered items from China in the past and never experienced any additional charges. The reason why I am raising concerns now is due to the fact that Colette's FAQs states the buyer must pay any associated customs fees and taxes upon arrival.

I am typically very good at doing research and coming to conclusions when I have questions that need to be answered; but in this case, the information available seems to be scarce for whatever reason. It just would be disappointing if the customs fees and taxes exceed $200, as it would make the device fall closer to the retail pricing range. However, if said fees stay below the $100-$150 range it would still be an excellent deal.

Last edited:

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Sort of signifies the lack of demand for the watch.
Yes indeed.

I've always felt that Apple had its own best interests in mind when creating this product ... Why not?

Nothing ventured nothing gained. Just because the greater majority of our society had rejected stand alone watches in favor of the convenience of checking their smartphone for the time, didn't mean they were opposed to a fun gadget.

Blasting out onto the world stage via a mega media blitz is the stuff Apple lives for.

Now that massive uber expensive ads have been implemented only to fall flat, Apple like any good company won't quit. Good for them.

If anyone can force feed a product onto the consumers of America it's Apple. It's only a matter of time before they find the magic combination.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Not really. iTunes (Apple Music) and Apple TV in particular definitely affect the "Other Products" revenue as well. The whole wearables industry was waiting to see what Apple would release and I have to say it's been a very "meh" product. I'm interested to see how it grows though!

Not true - itunes/apple music (which will have made only 1 month of revenue last quarter?)/app store are under "services"

The new apple TV was not released until after the quarter ended.

domino67

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2015
What does that really matter as long as people are getting a great deal, and 50% off IS a great deal.

Because at 50% it is still overpriced. Like wallpaper,blinds or mattresses....50% off makes you feel good however it is probably still a 100% markup, which is why they can have such a large price reduction. There is no way in the world an Apple Watch in gold was/is worth $5,744.38 let alone $12,000. 2 square inches of sapphire and about $500 worth of gold...pfffft.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Because at 50% it is still overpriced. Like wallpaper,blinds or mattresses....50% off makes you feel good however it is probably still a 100% markup, which is why they can have such a large price reduction. There is no way in the world an Apple Watch in gold was/is worth $5,744.38 let alone $12,000. 2 square inches of sapphire and about $500 worth of gold...pfffft.

about $800 worth of gold (http://www.cultofmac.com/312832/heres-much-gold-get-18k-apple-watch-edition/) is the estimate. and the parts inside, are clearly the same as in the $349 sport, it can be assumed the cost of the insides is no more than $200. the accessories maybe bump it up to $1,000.

the part your maths may fall down on though, is who makes that markup. apple's products are typically on 8% margins - why would they let others make the money instead of them, especially with their own retail network?

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

You're speaking from a REGULAR consumer level. Celebrities WILL and DO pay for such items at $12,000. You might say, "Well celebrities are in the minority". Yeah, but so is this forum and for some oddball self-serving reason tend to think they make up the majority of Apple's customer base or think they are Apple's only customers, and in their mind if it's too expensive for THEM then Apple shouldn't be selling it at that price.

domino67

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2015
about $800 worth of gold (http://www.cultofmac.com/312832/heres-much-gold-get-18k-apple-watch-edition/) is the estimate. and the parts inside, are clearly the same as in the $349 sport, it can be assumed the cost of the insides is no more than $200. the accessories maybe bump it up to $1,000.

the part your maths may fall down on though, is who makes that markup. apple's products are typically on 8% margins - why would they let others make the money instead of them, especially with their own retail network?

Ohh I am sure Apple makes most of the profit, that much I think we all can agree upon. I am sure Apple will have a return policy if certain stock doesn't move or the Gold watches may even been on consignment for all we know.

BigHonkingDeal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2009
Fort Pierce
Got it.
Soooo, what you're saying is that when I look at Black Friday & Cyber Monday ads, ALL of the items on sale are soft demand and literally "require" such a sale to move off the shelves at all.
Ok. Thanks for clearing that up. I literally had no idea.

/Thankgiving size heaping amount of sarcasm

Yes, as every real Apple fan knows..... Black Friday is the day where you get Apple stuff half off.

/Thanksgiving size heaping amount of sarcasm :)

Reactions: Tycho24

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Not really. iTunes (Apple Music) and Apple TV in particular definitely affect the "Other Products" revenue as well.

This is not just my opinion. On the quarterly call to investors, Apple executives said that Apple Watch sales accounted for “well over 100%” of the growth of the category, growth which was $1.3 to $1.6 billion. For your theory to be true, they would have to be outright lying.

I doubt it.

Apple Music has 15 million subscribers. That's not $1.3-$1.6 billion territory, especially when you consider the first three months were free. And it was Apple TV3, the old stale version, that was the unit available for sale. Apple TV 4 shipped after the quarter was over. Even worse for ATV3 sales, ATV4 was announced during that quarter, so I don't see tons of ATV3 sales adding to growth when everyone knew the new one was coming so soon. Quite the opposite I would expect.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Apple Music has 15 million subscribers.
Users not subscribers. Less than half have signed up, the rest are on the free trial so it contributes even less to the "Other Products" income.
Apple CEO Tim Cook has given an update on the adoption of Apple Music, the company's streaming music service — it has over 15 million users right now, with 6.5 million of those paying $9.99 a month and 8.5 million still on the three-month free trial.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/20/9572667/apple-music-subscriber-count-number-paid

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Users not subscribers. Less than half have signed up, the rest are on the free trial so it contributes even less to the "Other Products" income.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/20/9572667/apple-music-subscriber-count-number-paid

your point is moot ;) as i said before, apple music contributes nothing to the other products category.

http://images.apple.com/pr/pdf/q4fy15datasum.pdf

"Services ... Includes revenue from Internet Services, AppleCare, Apple Pay, licensing and other services."

http://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/ - Apple Music is a service.

tonoboon

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2015
I just order the Rosegold edition , they ask change to payment from Visa to Paypal.

tonoboon

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2015
This is the message I got from Colette

Hello,

Thank you for your email and order on colette.fr

In order to secure the transaction, can you please advise if you have a paypal verified account?

We will cancel today your VISA payment and kindly ask you to pay via bank transfer or paypal.

Please confirm at your earliest convenience how you would like to pay.

Best regards,

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
This is the message I got from Colette

Hello,

Thank you for your email and order on colette.fr

In order to secure the transaction, can you please advise if you have a paypal verified account?

We will cancel today your VISA payment and kindly ask you to pay via bank transfer or paypal.

Please confirm at your earliest convenience how you would like to pay.

Best regards,

this sounds fishy. bank transfers won't have the same payment protection. i think the same applies to paypal also as this isn't an ebay purchase?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.